Sellier & Bellot powder?

Guest Tiff

I've been given 10kg of powder that has been stripped from sellier and bellot 8x57 JS 196 grain ammo. I wish to reload this in my .308.....So anybody know which powder they use?

If it helps, it is of the grey flaked variety and not extruded granules. Any help much appreciated.

Guest northernchris

Could be anything in them Chris :)

I supose you could take an "EDUCATED" guess at a starting load.....................Its going to be very similer burn rate to .308 powders. N150 etc That said is it really worth the messing?????

Could be anything in them Chris :)

I supose you could take an "EDUCATED" guess at a starting load.....................Its going to be very similer burn rate to .308 powders. N150 etc Is it really worth the messing?????

I reckon it is worth a try at the price I can get it......less than £10 per Kg!!!!! But I'm afraid my source is going to remain secret! Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

Tiff,

S&B use SO 60/02 in 308 Win. it is an extruded powder - AA 2015 by another name. In bigger stuff they use SO70/02 - AA4350, also extruded.

Guessing what you have - AA2520 double-based for 308 Win class of cases. This is a guess - with something that it is not a good idea to guess with. It could easily be something older.

If you still want to use it I would find someone with AA2520 you could take a look at first.

David.

I have some AA2015 and AA2520 which could be used to "compare" the batch you have.

However unless you are a chemist or have access to analysis equipment, personally I wouldn't touch an "unknown" powder with a barge pole.

Archived