2014 update: UK Custom Tactical Actions - What's out there?

brown dog

I last asked this question almost 5 years ago (blimey :unsure: ) The UK custom landscape has changed massively since then.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/6646-custom-actions-available-in-uk/?hl=actions

I'm ever on the look out for something with a fixed recoil lug and that takes AW mags - does such a UK beast exist?

Alternatively, what's the nearest UK equivalent to a Surgeon?

Anyone in the UK doing anything that isn't a 2 lug rem style bolt?

Is there a UK equivalent of the Badger 2008?

...or anything else of interest :)

I have been researching this myself recently. It's a bit of a confusing picture as it's a little bit difficult trying to sort out who is the OEM and who is having them made for them.

First up we have Resolution Precision/John Carr. They sell actions themselves, but also make slightly different designs for Valkyrie Rifles (Odin/Valhalla/Thor), Alchemy for South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies, and the Ratel for Brock & Norris.

Next up is Devon Custom Rifles. They make their own actions, but also the GBR (Fox Firearms and Rhino Rifles) and actions for Steve Kershaw.

There is also Anglo Custom Rifles with actions by Impala Precision in stainless or titanium.

Most recently I have noticed the Dolphin Gun Company showing pictures of their new action on their website.

For completeness, I suppose that we should mention the actions by R G Rifles (no longer made), RPA and AI (not sold as actions). I am sure that there will be a few more! All apart from RPA and AI are Remington clones.

None supply with an 'AW cut' as far as I am aware. However DCR seem very willing to offer custom options, so it might be worth asking them. The Valhalla has an integral lug like the Surgeon and the Dolphin action looks like it might too.

It would be good to source a AW action with trigger and work from there..

I imagine any stock (non AI) would have to be custom inletted or inletted for Badger 2008 action..

Nothing wrong with recoil lugs by the way, so long as they're pinned or you have a jig to set them on same place every time the barrel comes off…. imho

I understand Miks (Dolphin rifles) new action has a long tenon and integral lug, it will take Rem hook up triggers (Jewel etc) and should be worthy of a look..

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/index.php/our-products/rifle-parts/dolphin-actions

I would like to see something similar to the bighorn action, I love the fact it has a changeable bolt head (only $125 for a different one, better than £1450 for a AXMC conversion). It has an integeral lug, optional AW cut. Not bad for $1250 shame we don't see them over here :(

Although even in the USA they have probably been eclipsed by the Defiance actions.

Nothing wrong with recoil lugs by the way, so long as they're pinned or you have a jig to set them on same place every time the barrel comes off…. imho

They just strike me, at an intuitive level, as a 'lost opportunity'. Could have extra tenon length and with it extra support to the 'tuning fork' barrel; or could put an articulated ring in in place of the last wee bit - it's an arrangement I would come up with if I wanted to enable something to flex (take the concept to an extreme, imagine a tenon made entirely of a series of separate machined rings), and a bit of a weird idea in an area in which you want maximum rigidity. Doesn't necessarily get noticed in the mix; but with all the other tweaks people do chasing that last nth of imagined accuracy improvement; articulating something with a design that also reduces possible tenon length, just doesn't work in my head - I view it as something that's there as a manufacturing ease/expedient of the original design; and it always strikes me as odd that the quirk is carried forward into custom actions; hence my fascination with AWalike, Surgeonalike and Badgeralike actions :) .

Watch this space. :)

John and I have something going right now.

Mik's new actions are made by John.

Hmm - a Surgeon clone with an AW cut perhaps? Now that would be quite something.

So in terms of OEMs, the UK has Resolution, DCR and RPA (and AI of course). Anyone know who makes the Impala Precision actions?

You have to wonder why AI have never sold actions. They would have made a pile of money

Archived