Barnes Varmint grenades

cooperman223

After reading up on these bullets i thought it was worth trying some, all i could get was the 36gr. I loaded 5 up with H335 powder, the data gave a figure of 3,600fps, fed primer, for my cooper .223 I took a measurement to the lands with a split case to give me a seating deapth, and loaded them just touching giving me 1.890 to the ogive. This rifle has a 1-9 twist barrel and i usually shoot 75gr Amax or 50gr Vmax so i was not expecting all that great results.

First shot was 1" high (which is how i have my scope set), things looked ok, no stiff bolt, craterd primer etc, second shot just touching the first, third again just touching, i finished off with a .5" group at 100yds off bipod and rear bag.

I hope to get out tommorow to see what the rabbits/crows think of them, no boubt they will be thrilled to bits.

sounds good cooperman, you wouldnt have thought they would have shot so well in a fast twist barrel. If I can get my hands on them I wouldnt mind trying them in my 22-250.

Hi F2N,

I have tried these in my 6mmBR after a good friend gave me them as they would not shoot in his 6mmBR (1:12 twist). Mine is a 1:9 twist, and being an experienced gunsmith (my friend not I!), he correctly thought that they might shoot in my rifle. Indeed, I loaded them the same way as the 65gn Vmax load that I use (33gn N135, Rem 7.5, Lapua case, 1.770OAL) and got .4 c/c 5 shot groups with them. I have not shot anything living with them yet, but I am holding high hopes!

What you will notice, that these bullets are rather long for the weight. The 62gn VGs are perhaps as long if not a bit longer than the 87gn Vmax that I shoot. Their long length may necessitate the use of a faster twist for them to stabilise. Given their expensive price, it may be useful for you to see if you can find a few to try so that you don't suffer an expensive mistake.

I hope the above helps,

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Cooperman 223

Somebody gave me a box of these about 6 months ago and didn't try them thinking they wouldn't group, but I think you've just changed my mind. ;)

I'll give them a go in the 221 Fireball first then maybe in the 220AI, good luck tomorrow, keep us posted on how they perform :lol:;)

Cheers Steve

Dont know about you lads but this morning was great, clear blue sky slight breeze, ideal to nip out and try these grenades before her ladyship gets up (leaving my evening free also :rolleyes: )

I was hoping to try them on some rabbits but i thought this to be better. WOW they did a good job on this pigeon, nice range, about 130yds

p1010980zy3.jpg

One of the suppliers here has the 36 grain bullets on sale for $14.95/100 which is amazingly cheap for these days and times. I was considering picking up a box for my .223 and .222 loading. I could give them a shove in the 22-250 but I think the heavier bullets would win out in that one. Anyhow, timely post! thanks.~Andrew

It surprised me that they shot so well in my 1-9 twist barrel, i had tried as light as 40gr vmax, and they also worked ok, so i thought it worth trying some.

I doubt that i will get out this eve to try them on some rabbits, unless i sit in the motor untill some come out to play (if any) its snowing/sleating here now. :lol:

I wish i had got up a bit sooner this morn :rolleyes: and made the best of the good weather.

Andrew,

this indeed is amazingly cheap: If I remember correctly, the prices quoted to my gunsmith for the (6mm) varmint grenades was around £35-£40 a box!! shows you how good you guys have it over there!

Finman

Im gettin on very well with 62gr varmint grenades in my new 6mmBR its a 1:8 twist and iv found that they like alot of freebore! And i mean alot im sitting them 85thou off the lands and that really tighened my groups!

I posted this picture on another post but if you guys havent seen them here you are

PIC00671.jpg

Thats a 5 shot group at 100 yards measured at .4 inch

I loaded some more at a different seating depth (cant remeber what now) but it pulled it in definitly to a .3 inch, possibly a .2, havent yet measured it or taken any photos of that target yet but i will get on to it!

hi Shrek,

thanks for the message and picture, pretty much the same group with what I am getting with my 6mmBR and the same bullet. In my chamber, most bullets are seated well back from the lands (over 20thou) with the exception of the 65gnVmax and the 62gnBarnesVG... Just goes to show what a different chamber means! and to add to the confusion, not one of the bullets I shoot (65gnVmax, 70gnBltzkng, 75gnVMax, 87GnVmax-BTHP-SP) is seated to a similar depth than another! the only ones that are seated the same and still shoot the same POA are all the 87gn Hornadys! go figure....

by the way: what was your load for the VGs??

best wishes,

Finman

My accuracy load for the barnes bullets is,

62rg Varmit grenade

cci BR4 primer

Lapua brass

30.2gr Varget

1.730 inch from the ogive

average velocity: 2930fps

Switching powder from varget to vit N140 over the next couple of weeks so i'll see what it does, might just stick with varget for teh varmint grenades as it works so well, yea it is surprising how different chambers and barrels reacte with different loads!

Thanks for that Shrek. with my load the 65gn VMax is deer legal: does about 3400fps and produces about 1768Ft/lbs and I am pretty sure that the 62gnVGs are motoring on at similar speeds. Don't thing they are deer legal though (not that I would ever shoot a deer with either bullet anyway). I used to get accurate groups with the 58gnVMax but then I chronographed it and saw that it was very very slow (around 2950 fps or so). With Varget I load 33gn for a 77gnLapua G491, just to give you an example. Try the N135, it is an amazing powder...

Hope this helps.

best wishes,

Finman

PS: my OAL for the 62gn VG is 1.770

Cheers Finman, was thinking along the lines one N135 but as i am using prodominatly heavier bullets 80 to 90 grainers i opter for N140 as it will suit my 308 aswell, and just another thing 2900fts never to slow for charlie haha!!

Fair point Shrek, using the same powder for the two calibres does make sense. I found Varget the powder of choice for the 87gn hornady's that I shoot (VMax, BTHP, and SP- regular .2-.3 5 shot groups with all), I can't get them to shoot anywhere near as well with N135. As for the 2900fps, indeed enough to kill, I found in my rifle though, that unless I drive the bullets fast, I am not getting the accuracy the rifle is capable of, nor do I get the appropriate response from the bullet (i.e. expansion etc). Can you tell me a bit more about your rifle (action, barrel, gunsmith)?

Mine is build on a M590LH Tikka action (used to be a 22-250), wears a 1:9 Border Barrel, 23 inches long, built by Mike Norris.

best wishes,

Finman

Fair point Shrek, using the same powder for the two calibres does make sense. I found Varget the powder of choice for the 87gn hornady's that I shoot (VMax, BTHP, and SP- regular .2-.3 5 shot groups with all), I can't get them to shoot anywhere near as well with N135. As for the 2900fps, indeed enough to kill, I found in my rifle though, that unless I drive the bullets fast, I am not getting the accuracy the rifle is capable of, nor do I get the appropriate response from the bullet (i.e. expansion etc). Can you tell me a bit more about your rifle (action, barrel, gunsmith)?

Mine is build on a M590LH Tikka action (used to be a 22-250), wears a 1:9 Border Barrel, 23 inches long, built by Mike Norris.

best wishes,

Finman

Haha, nearly got a snap on that one

another high quality 6mmBR from mr norris's bunker haha, he is a very good gunsmith and he did build mine aswell, dont know anyone else with as much ballistic know how as him!

Very much the same rifle, tikka 590 RH with a 24inch 1:8 walther match tube pillar and action bedded into the original wood stock! shoots like nothing ive ever used before!

Hopefully the n140 shoots as well as the varget with the 87rg VMAX and HPBT as they are my standard bullet of choice!

yep, Mike knows his BRs!! Since this is the case, he may well have used the same reamer for both our guns, so it will be rather likely that what works in yours will probably work in mine and vice versa. As we may end up boring the hell out of the rest of the membership with this exchange, perhaps you could pm me if you want to share any info on loading data. I have had my rifle for 3 years now and I have pages and pages of the stuff. Nothing I shot out of this gun went into a group larger than .75 of an inch.

best wishes,

Finman

PS: mine is on the original stock as well. I only installed a pachmayr recoil pad and the difference it has made is significant. I wish I could find some custom stock manufacturer that inlets for this action... it is probably the gun's only (esthetic) downfall.

Archived