.17hmr

hey guys

been thinking about getting myself a rabbit rifle but i am not quiet sure what i should get.lots of people are going on about .17hmr caliber but dont really know anything about them.could anyone tell me something about them? range etc?

regards

hey guys

been thinking about getting myself a rabbit rifle but i am not quiet sure what i should get.lots of people are going on about .17hmr caliber but dont really know anything about them.could anyone tell me something about them? range etc?

regards

Hi Win, IMHO I think you would be better served by getting a .22 rimmy. More wind tolerant than the HMR and the fouling issues are non-existent (nearly). I would pick up a BRNO model 2 (one of the old ones) fit a good scope and forget about it. You can kill em all with this.

Cheers

Z

hi

have had my hmr for 2 years now and its been a very good rifle ,dont think ill ever sell it ,most of the rabbits i shoot are 100-150yds some people have shot rabbits out to 200yrds but i would think you would need no wind to produce that .

never had any runners this round stones them dead on the spot ,compared to my mates .22 rimmy when we are out i tend to shoot 2 as much as him due to extra range and accuracy .

mark

Guest 308Panther

Love my lil CZ 452A in .17 HMR....

Squirrles do horizontal cartwheel off tree limbs at 70 yrds...very pretty arterial spray patterns in the snow.

If using balistic tipped ammo limit shots to "headshots only" if you plan on eating anything you shoot.

Fine bits of plastic,lead,copper,bone in wound channel...balistic tipped rounds are terminally explosive.

Shot a blackbird at 100 yrds...cut it in half....

Took out a Fox Squirrel at 120 yrds..knocked it more than 6 feet away from the deadfall it was sittin on.

Havent played much with the 20gr hollow points...and they shoot very differant to the 17gr balistic tip.

At 100 yrds w/the Hornady .17gr Balistic tips I am getin 3/8 to 1/2 in groups...

22 mag may hold the wind better but remember the bullet is more the double the weight.

I havent had alot of wind trouble with mine...but I keep my shots down to a 100yrds or so.

Did play at 500 yrds once or twice and was able to "tick" the plywood target backboard at the range in 3 shots

Nice audible "Tick" at 500 yrds....

Had very good results w/ Hornady's own ammo.

Most were one and done....

Feral Cat,Racoon,ground hogs and most critters deadly allergic to .17HMR

Neat little cartidge.

The only problem I had wasnt related to the rifle or calber...It was from what the retail stores offer for rimfire scope mounts/rings....most outfits here(Us) think rimfire equals cheap...so they dont offer much.

I was havin a problem gettin a good high quality rimfire scope rings/mounts...The rifle would group decently but the rings wouldnt hold a zero,from one trip out to the next...

But that has been fixed...Fitted a slide on picatinny rail (available from CZ)and got Leupold (QRW)Scope rings to fit the picatinny rail...Resighted and havent had a problem since...

308Panther

Don't know about the 17HMR, a 22lrf would give you the option of subs, but then you

need something like a 223 with mod for the fox and the longer rabbit.

I shot about 25 rabbits this eve with the 223 from 75 to 285 yds. Most at 250 -270,

a 17hmr wouldn't have been much help, especially with the wind. I feel way more

confident with the cheapest 223 AE FED or UMC ammo than the best 17HMR or 22mag at

longer shots. Sold my 22lrf a few years back and do miss it at times.

just can't have it all.

edi

Archived