Accuracy International AX MC .308

baldie

Baldie,

How many yards/meters were you shooting at for your test?

Have you tested how consistent headspace is after barrel changes?

How loose is the barrel just before final tightening?

Can you post a picture of the underside of the action (quick lock barrel system)?

Overall impression of rail height?

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful rifle.

rxs0

Baldie,

How many yards/meters were you shooting at for your test?

Have you tested how consistent headspace is after barrel changes?

How loose is the barrel just before final tightening?

Can you post a picture of the underside of the action (quick lock barrel system)?

Overall impression of rail height?

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful rifle.

rxs0

I only ever test at 100 yards. The load I shot was simply surplus loads from my other rifle....they haven't been optimised for this rifle at all. Some work will undoubtedly see tighter groups.

The headspace isn't going to vary by fitting the barrel correctly, which is simply screwing it on until it stops BY HAND and then tightening the locking screw with a quality torque wrench. You could only affect the headspace by using a barrel vice, and its difficult to tighten any more than 0.0005" even with a long extension bar on a normal action.

Back out the barrel by one turn, and there is some play in the threads. This will undoubtedly be down to the reciever threads being split to accomodate a clamping mechanism. I dont know what it looks like, because I haven't had the gun apart.

Rail height seems perfect for me.

Thanks Baldie!

This is one amazing rifle.

What I find most interesting is that the quick change barrel system will likely allow for after market match barrels with custom chambers.

It's however going to be hard to beat the already superb Lothar Walther and Bartlein barrels Accuracy International uses.

Enjoy your awesome rifle. Keep us posted on your load development.

Thanks again,

rxs0

• 1 year later...

Hi Baldie

After having your AX for a year now what are your impression. I'm thinking of getting an AT (which I have seen in another post) that I know you also rate.

How did the original (on you AX) barrel shoot and if I wanted (I do) a 6.5 x 47 for it, is this a good route to go down and have you done one for the AT yet?

I really think your post are very imformative and you build some cool rifles.

Timbo

Hi Tim,

I,ve put probably 1500 rounds in .308 down the rifle now, and every time I shoot the gun, it never ceases to bring a smile to face.

I,ve used it in a couple of csr matches and won. I used it in a Mcqueens match a little while back, and won with a 100 ex 100 and it was up against a lot of 6.5,s and hot 6,s and it was pretty windy.

The reason I haven't yet made another barrel for it, is lack of spare time, and a willingness to use a .308 and really get to grips with the calibre.

I,ve shelved the 7-08 blank, but will chamber up a bartlien in 6.5 creedmoor when the 308 barrel is getting worn.

The .308 barrel on the gun is a walther and it shoots well. The groups are always the same size, and it cleans easily.

To be honest, i've fallen in love with AI rifles completely. I recently bought a .338AW and that is another cracking rifle. I,m slowly selling off my collection of other rifles, because I don't shoot them anymore, apart from my AR,s.

Made a barrel in 6.5 x 47 a few weeks ago for an AT and that is shooting well apparently. The AT has to be the bargain of the year.

If you can afford one, don't hesitate. The rifles are truly something else.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a photo of the " clamp " , its just a ' I " beam shape cut , with bolt going thru the long part of a capital I , if that makes sense .Obviously only 1/2 way thru the action , from the bottom .

Archived