Accuracy International AX MC .308

baldie

This rifle has been taunting me since its introduction. I had bought an AX just prior to its appearance and been kicking myself ever since.

I really wanted to switch barrel my original gun, but volume of work meant I simply never did. During a phone call to Sporting services last week whilst ordering stocks, mags etc...I stupidly asked what the lead time on one of these was.

Matt told me there was one in stock. :lol:

Swine.

I slept on it overnight then, offered my mate the original AX, and he almost tore my arm off. Hence it landing on my mat yesterday.

So what you have here, is a genuine review, by someone who has PAID for one , and isn't taking money for a review or advertising etc.

IMG_2145_zps100258da.jpg

I wanted the gun for two features.

That beautiful rear stock being the first.

IMG_2150_zps0b47a978.jpg

The rifle feels lighter than my old one with this stock. What can you say about it ? It simply works, and adjusts in every direction possible. I didn't bother with a monopod this time, as I prefer a bean bag.

IMG_2146_zps0a42cdff.jpg

Second feature is the quick change barrel. I have three different spare barrels on my ticket and I,m going to make them up for this gun. When it came, the first thing I did was slacken off the screw and undo the barrel. I was very surprised at how loose the threads were. It screws back in and stops dead. No need to swing on it, a torque wrench at 5Ft/Lbs is all thats needed to lock it back in. More on this later.

Fitted my Schmidt to it and carted it off to Diggle with a few more for a test run.

IMG_2153_zpsc7b7582b.jpg

The first group was low as I was shooting at the centre target. Not bad for a brand new gun.

Dialled a few clicks on and shot the 2nd group. Better still.

Then adjusted again and put 5 rounds onto the top left target, and another tidy group.

Then the baptism of fire. I bet my mate it wouldn't return to zero if I removed the barrel. Simply didn't believe the hype. I even bet him lunch on it.

I removed the warm barrel completely, and in front of several witnesses, put it back and torqued it up.

It then shot the 4th group on the right. It was at most , 1/8 of a minute left. Still on the patch, and to all intents and purposes, returned properly to zero.

I couldn't believe it. I now have total confidence in its return to zero with other barrels, and will not hesitate to use this facility.

IMG_2147_zps40e57c44.jpg

The trigger is a delight, and the new six lug bolt seems to make opening from fired easier.

Anything I didn't like ?

Yes. The paint is 3 different shades on the gun, and the rail was a very odd colour, and one side was hardly painted at all. I removed it this morning and painted it again in the correct colour along with 3 mags.

I dont like the fact that the action has been painted over the chemically blacked finish. The paint is Cerakote, and it doesn't stick as well to an unblasted surface. The action therefore is not painted internally. These actions will take paint internally, providing the bolt is left alone.

This however , doesn't detract from the function or look of the gun, it just niggles me as a painter personally.

IMG_2151_zps5f5bac39.jpg

IMG_2149_zps5900fa93.jpg

I didn't think the AX could be improved. It could, and has been.

This is an outstanding rifle, and Even a Walther hater like myself has to admit that this barrel shoots, and is very consistent indeed.

As stated earlier, I,ve bought this rifle, and am absolutely delighted with the purchase, and would heartily recommend the gun, if AI,s are your bag.

I've cleared a few rifles out recently, as nothing was coming out of the cabinet apart from my AR's and the old AX.

I,m thinking one gun and a few barrels is a better plan.

1 gun and several barrels is what I'm doing with the dta. I very nearly bought one of these but the dta just pipped it for coolness with me. I do love AI's though.

Question Dave why don't you like walther barrels?

That looks lovely Dave, glad you got to go out and play! If I could I'd swap my AX for the AX MC too, that barrel change is awesome.

PS - I tried loads between 44.5 and 45.5 and they all shot well, definitely a good combination.

Thanks for the review and great to hear these rifles are finally making it out into circulation....I think in a couple of years time one of these will find it's way into my collection in .260 / .308 switch-barrel format.

Question Dave why don't you like walther barrels?

I'll guess it's because they can be very hard and not that 'nice' to machine?

Want one of the butt assemblies for my AX, then it would be perfect….

I'll be sticking with the Ax though as I don't need quick change barrel.

Glad its repeatable accuracy after disassembly though Dave. - great for travelling with small case..

Butt envy.... :lol::lol:

Walthers are 420 stainless instead of the usual 416 that most other barrel makers use. This has a lower sulphur content and makes them harder to chamber. I fitted one to a Remington last week. The steel machines very nicely with carbide tooling and has a beautiful finish, but its difficult to chamber with HSS reamers and requires carbide ones really. This means replacing a lot of reamers at £300 each.

I'g going to though, as the barrels are easy to get hold of.

Having owned a couple on different guns fitted with Walthers that were basically indifferent, accuracy wise, it tends to colour your judgement somewhat, but I am going to try some more myself. That way, if they are average, its not some customer that has been guinea pigged.

This one certainly shoots ok. With a bit more load development, it could be a real hammer. This load was the old one for my old AX.

I've cleared a few rifles out recently, as nothing was coming out of the cabinet apart from my AR's and the old AX.

I,m thinking one gun and a few barrels is a better plan.

Hi Dave,

Is the quick barrel change system on yours the same as on the AT model,

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Is the quick barrel change system on yours the same as on the AT model,

Thanks

AT and AX actions are the same.

Dave,

Nice review. To the point and concise.

Wish I could afford/justify an AX, but just can't do it right now (youngest is still in college/university). That being said, I'm waiting patiently for an AT to arrive from across the pond. I hope it shoots as well as your review would imply. (Also have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel coming as well)....

Had my AX M/C for about a month , workin pretty well barrel changing is easy from .22b/r to 6.5x47 and .308 all work and shoot very well

BH shot around 20 shots in 22br, then switched to 6.5x47Lap as Im thinking of going for this calibre next and wondered about recoil, 4 shots in the 47Lap then switched barrels back to 22br, 2 shots at the original 100yd zero and pretty much spot on.

Very impressed. Your lucky fellas :) not jealous in the slightest.

Archived