.204 Ruger , your opinion ?

Hi

Im a newby here , been shooting for donkeys years , stalking, target, vermin and plinking .

My question is what do you chaps think of the .204 Ruger as a round , Im considering getting a Howa or CZ in .204 for foxing etc.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 and so far I am not impressed.....BECAUSE I HAVE YET TO FIRE THE #&$^#% THING!

No brass for sale, anywhere. When I contact my favorite distributors like Midway USA I get the message, "Out of Stock. No Back Order" Not exactly confidence inspiring with the prairiedog and varmint season upon us already. I rfuse to buy factory ammo to get brass; especially with Hornady's poor brass quality these days. Sheesh. I'm going to have the barrel set back hand have it rechambered to the fine, and ballistically equivelant 20 Practical. Then I'll just neck down .223 and load it.

Two-Oh-Four shooters take note of the above. Component droughts get to you guys after they do us and seem to last longer.~Andrew

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 and so far I am not impressed.....BECAUSE I HAVE YET TO FIRE THE #&$^#% THING!

No brass for sale, anywhere. When I contact my favorite distributors like Midway USA I get the message, "Out of Stock. No Back Order" Not exactly confidence inspiring with the prairiedog and varmint season upon us already. I rfuse to buy factory ammo to get brass; especially with Hornady's poor brass quality these days. Sheesh. I'm going to have the barrel set back hand have it rechambered to the fine, and ballistically equivelant 20 Practical. Then I'll just neck down .223 and load it.

Two-Oh-Four shooters take note of the above. Component droughts get to you guys after they do us and seem to last longer.~Andrew

What's the availability of factory ammo like over with you? I'm considering 204 myself............... some dealers say it hard to get, others say not.

What's the availability of factory ammo like over with you? I'm considering 204 myself............... some dealers say it hard to get, others say not.

There is plenty of factory ammo but I am a dyed-in-the-wool reloader. The factory ammo is about $22 US for 20 rounds and the brass quality these days is questionable. To spend over $1 US to get an empty cartridge casing is ridiculous. To take 100 rounds of factory ammo to a prairiedog town every day would be more then this poor hillbilly can afford.~Andrew

I quite enjoyed mine and wish I had never sold it. Very easy to shoot due to the low recoil and noise. It killed foxes fairly well but not as convincingly as my .243 does, I used it more for shooting crows and rabbits etc.

I've got a CZ 527 American in .204R and love it! Also reload, and it easily shoots sub .5" groups at 100 yards with 32 and 40 grain V-Max bullets. Although apparently some .204's won't shoot anything over .39 grainers...

I've since bought a very nice Tikka T3 in .223 Rem, with the intention of selling the .204 to fund the Sightron scope that I bought for it.

But having took the .204 out last week, i'm very tempted to put the sightron on the .204 and go out and have some "Varmint fun"! They're such a nice rifle to shoot,very accurate, with almost zero recoil.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion of the 204 really is that it's a very capable fox round! Shoots nice and flat and is a great varminting tool.only thing for me that goes against it is the small range of bullet weights available as opposed to the 22 cals.

I have one I use as a lamp/nv gun and it's perfect for my requirements.. but if I were gonna get a single all round gun personally think I would go with a 22 cal.. you can get some really high b c bullets in 22. Yes you have to have the correct twist rate for them to work but guns like the tikka varmint have something like a 1-8 or 9 twist i think...that should provide you with a really versatile foundation to launch a variety of different weight bullets. But I don't think an option like that in 204 is available. ..

Sheesh. I'm going to have the barrel set back hand have it rechambered to the fine, and ballistically equivelant 20 Practical. Then I'll just neck down .223 and load it.

This is why i chose 20 practical , and the fact iv shot both 223rem and 223Ai with more dies and odds N sods for them both ! Great choice ;)

Ive had a 20 cal and a .223rem, in all honesty there is very little between them if you shoot bullets of similar weight, the advantages of the ,204ruger is that you will get a slightly better BC bullet but the calibre isnt legal for deer, the .223rem is deer (Munties) legal with 50 grain bullets and will be easier to sell on, give you better barrel life, and be easier and probably cheaper to get factory ammo and components for.

I have had both, was impressed with the 20cal but am now after a 22-250 for the versatility.

22cf makes some good points-out to about 300y,the difference is pretty small:

here are drop drift (200 zero,10mph) at 100 200 300 400y:

204 ruger 40g vmax 3900fps BC.275 .7/.8 0/3.3 -4.3/7.8 -13.2/14.7 526 ftlb left

223 rem 40gvmax 3800fps BC.200 .9/1.2 0/5.0 -5.5/11.9 -17.6/22.9 330 ftlb left

These are commmercial,not hot loads,but the difference pretty much stays the same relatively if hot loaded.

0nce you are up into double figures for wind drift,you are into likely miss territory-but to 350 there really is not much in it.

But for a faster twist 1/8 say 223,the heavier higher BCbullets,(approaching .4) up to about 80 g do give an option for longer target shooting-just don't expect too much at that range-the 204 is then really out of it's viable envelope (as would be the 223 with 40g!).

Whether longer range,muntjac,etc matter is an individual choice-and you can have just too many different bullets etc ( you need one/two that work,end of),but fiddling is resistible.The 22/250 is the traditional cartridge in the 204 slot....Be clear what you want,choose accordingly.

Gbal

Archived