Eley subsonic hollow point vs match

dRb

I haven't compared them to solids but the Eley subs do mushroom quite tidily in rabbit:

d445fc922ec8c9f40a35cf09c3892a0c.jpg

743af5ea239551bb9e31a36644ee0355.jpg

e3c4d6723b8b1415fe0a08108c9760cf.jpg

I have got somewhere a couple of subbies looking similar, however they were dug out of the ground behind a paper target. Am surprised that the bullet has not passed thorough.

A

Only used a few, my AMT Theoben is chambered for Lapua Pistol Match.

First rabbit I center chest shot at about 50 yards, no impact sound, it hopped off looking like I had missed, found it dead 10 yards inside the wood, shot was perfect.

Head shots then yes not a lot of difference but I have never had that with SSHPs. The bigger opening bullets of the period ( Magtech and Winchester) were excellent stoppers but far to greasy to use in a match chamber. Settled on Eley SSHPs in the end, anything rabbit size hit centre chest was game over.

I've had exactly the same finding, spookily same type upper body shot and effect, same rifle using Lapua hp which have a very narrow hp.

When I had the same problem using my 1417 annie, I switched back to eley mid shoot, sorted.

I now use Rws hp in my AMT to good effect.

The only meaning full expansion I have seen with sub hp's is with an end to end body shot on a rabbit, but there is something going on re stopping power with a good sub hp.

A

Intersetingly, I seem to remember that the first time I tried the Eley Match at a 25m indoor range, they had the same zero as the Eley HP's.

Once I've got my groups stabalized with the club, I'll see if they are intercgangable with the HP's over 10-80m or so, and see if the change in bullet makes my accuracy suffer, even with them having the same type of lubricant etc.

Yep, but they were not as good as the Eley HP's in my CZ.

Just to goes to show that you can't please all of the rifles all of the time?

FWIW it loves Geko more than all of the others tried, looking to try Magtech, have heard good things about the accuracy.

Intersetingly, I seem to remember that the first time I tried the Eley Match at a 25m indoor range, they had the same zero as the Eley HP's.

Once I've got my groups stabalized with the club, I'll see if they are intercgangable with the HP's over 10-80m or so, and see if the change in bullet makes my accuracy suffer, even with them having the same type of lubricant etc.

I think once you are out past the 50-60 yd range you will start to see a difference. Most of the solid and match ammo seems to go through the chrony in the 1040-1070 range and the HP's somewhat slower, often in the 1000-1025 range. With loopy trajectory of the.22's at the longer ranges it makes quite a difference.

If you look at my video all the shots were fired at the same range with the same aiming point with no scope adjustment. The HP's were an inch or so lower at 65yds.

Most of the solid and match ammo seems to go through the chrony in the 1040-1070 range and the HP's somewhat slower, often in the 1000-1025 range. With loopy trajectory of the.22's at the longer ranges it makes quite a difference.

Possibly were the RWS R100's come in, made for longer ranges, slightly faster 'match' ammo.

Anyone got an idea on the cost difference from say my average box of 100 Remington .22LR hollow point subs at

£3.50 - £4.00. Compared to the .22LR RWS Rifle Match, the yellow and black box ones??

Jamie

http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/acatalog/RWS-Rifle-Match-020040040.html

I'm not saying your local gunshop would have the buying power of the nsra.

I didn't get round to trying this type of RWS as the match rifle was nothing to shout about in my sako.

That's a shame Danny, my Anny likes that RWS Target out to 100mtr and G's Sako Finfire shoots the stuff like it's on rails....

Should never have shown him the stuff!!

That's a shame Danny, my Anny likes that RWS Target out to 100mtr and G's Sako Finfire shoots the stuff like it's on rails....

Should never have shown him the stuff!!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested Lapua or SK might be the best to use, will be tracking some down on my travels this coming year I would imagine.

Still Eley Sport punches above its weight in the old sako. So I might be best advised to just shoot the thing!

match ammo will always be more accurate than hunting hollow points but you will get truly epic ricochets with solids. when I worked in gunsmithing I made a tool that you can drill out solids and make into hollow points it worked great but was very time consuming so the novelty soon wore off. atb tony

Have you tried RWS hollow points?

The best hollow point accuracy of all that I have tried in my CZ 452. :)

Yes, same here. Most consistent accuracy of any make I've tested. Out of a string of 10 shots Eley, WInchester grouped well but there would be at least one flyer out of it. RWS just kept piling them in :)

Here's the result of a casual test I did a few weeks ago.

All groups were fired from my Sako Finnfire Varmint using a bipod off a concrete bench at 50m. The rifle is fitted with a SAK mod and a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14 x 50 mm 'scope:

auzg.jpg

The results

Remington:

Group size: 0.94"
Average MV: 1057
SD: 16

Eley:

Group size: 0.65"
Average MV: 1059
SD: 7

Geco:

Group size: 0.95"
Average MV: 1125
SD: 14

CCI:

Group size: 0.66"
Average MV: 1066
SD: 11

Winchester:

Group size: 0.98"
Average MV: 1049
SD: 17

As will be seen, Eley and CCI are almost neck and neck, with Eley just ahead in both accuracy and consistency.

maximus otter

All groups were fired from my Sako Finnfire Varmint using a bipod off a concrete bench at 50m. The rifle is fitted with a SAK mod and a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14 x 50 mm 'scope:

auzg.jpg

The results

Remington:

Eley:

Geco:

CCI:

Winchester:

As will be seen, Eley and CCI are almost neck and neck, with Eley just ahead in both accuracy and consistency.

maximus otter

No offence to you, and you appear to have a very nice rifle. And anybody who does any kind of development and posts it, is top banana in my book. But the groupings are really crap for all makes at 50 yards! :blink: Weather maybe?......

I've tried allsorts of subs, including CCI, Remington, Eley and Winchester. And all grouped better than your results, using a CZ 452 Silhouette. From memory all were at least 1" groupings. But the Remington subs were the best, at around sub 1/2.

Jamie

auzg.jpg

The results

Remington:

Eley:

Geco:

CCI:

Winchester:

maximus otter

Maybe its because I need new glasses, But assuming the squares are 1 inch, the groups don't seem to fit with your given measurements. Also the Winchester seems to have the tightest group not the Eley, again is it my eyes playing tricks? I agree with Jamie, in good wind conditions I would expect a lot tighter groups using my CZ 16 inch. Especially with the Winchesters as they seem to suit it well.

Aj

• 2 weeks later...

The difficulty of testing different .22lr ammunition is that often the various brands use a different type and viscosity of lubricant. When I changed from Eley to RWS it took a good clean of the barrel and then at least 15 rounds before the group sizes settled. If you just take 5 rounds from each box and bang them into the target it is highly unlikely that you will get a true reflection grouping ability even with a good rifle and a fine shot behind it. I took a box of each brand available to me at the time (Eley, Winchester, RWS, Remminton) SSHP, cleaned then ran the whole box (50s) through and took and average of the last two 10 shot groups then repeated with the next brand. I also clean the mod each time (I have no idea whether or not this made any difference). The first 10 shot group was always horrible regardless of the brand. As I turns out the RWS were best for my Annie. Best, J

P.s. The best results I have consistently had were with Eley Tenex and Tenex Biathlon in a heavy barrelled Annie with fortner action (I wish they made these in their hunting line, LH aswel. :wub: ). They gave one ragged hole groups at 50m prone with a biathlon sling and thumbnail size groups after a quick 2.5k sprint! Alas damn expensive for knocking bunnies over (unless you’re used to using a 17hmr). J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I sold my sako finfire varmint some years ago!! :wacko: wish I hadn't though!

With eley Match & Tenex my rifle was consistently putting 10 rounds under the size of a 5 pence piece! (new ones) lol

and my ruger 10/22 loved the eley subsonic hollow points :) and that was capable of 5 shot groups smaller than a 1 pence :) off a bench.

Rick

Hi

I sold my sako finfire varmint some years ago!! :wacko: wish I hadn't though!

With eley Match & Tenex my rifle was consistently putting 10 rounds under the size of a 5 pence piece! (new ones) lol

and my ruger 10/22 loved the eley subsonic hollow points :) and that was capable of 5 shot groups smaller than a 1 pence :) off a bench.

Rick

Is that at 25 yards Rick?

Archived