Eley subsonic hollow point vs match

dRb

Anyone got any experience of hitting small vermin with match grade .22lr subsonics rather than hollow points?

I was looking at my HP's today and wondering whether at the speed they were going the HP did anything at all.

Previously my experience with the Tenex (?) type rounds has only been over 25m indoors. They did shoot tighter than my HP's though, and since I'm looking to extend my plinking ranges with the .22lr to practice for longer range .308 shooting, I wondered if I could move over to the more accurate round and still be ok on the vermin side of things?

Perhaps a sacraficial boneless leg of pork is required?

I often use match type solids at the longer ranges with the .22 and quite honestly, I don't see a lot of difference when it comes to stopping rabbits, they certainly show tighter groups.

A gut shot rabbit with a .22HP or solid will run, a head shot rabbit with either won't. - accuracy wins hands down.

This is a short video where I tried six different types of .22lr ammunition, including Eley Tenex and Eley HP subs in field shooting conditions at 65 yards. The only ammunition in the 1 moa range were the match rounds.

Not a scientific test I know but it might give you some food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

Did lots of experimenting years ago in small quarry with a very good friend of mine.We shot pretty much everything that was going in 22rf and noticed that 22 heads hp or round nose or flat head match heads all pretty much did the same thing,,,,,they did not deform any differently!!!,,,,,We searched through various backstop materials and even through dead meat and to be honest all bullets did take on all sorts of a deformed condition but none that you could call expanding sufficiently for say a body shot on a bunny.To this end we only bought match ammo for all of our shooting in 22rf and enjoyed the superior accuracy it provided and we only ever head shot bunnies anyway no matter what the range.

Yes the match ammo was way superior to any hp subs especially at distance making a 100 yard head shot bunny not too much of a challenge,,,,,regds ...O

I often use match type solids at the longer ranges with the .22 and quite honestly, I don't see a lot of difference when it comes to stopping rabbits, they certainly show tighter groups.

A gut shot rabbit with a .22HP or solid will run, a head shot rabbit with either won't. - accuracy wins hands down.

This is a short video where I tried six different types of .22lr ammunition, including Eley Tenex and Eley HP subs in field shooting conditions at 65 yards. The only ammunition in the 1 moa range were the match rounds.

Good work on the vid - the Tenex really is much tighter isn't it!

Good work on the vid - the Tenex really is much tighter isn't it!

Yes, no doubt about it. However, it's not cheap. Just recently I've been having good results with Eley sport (green box) in my Finnfire.

This is 10 shots at 25 yards, maybe not the tightest group but very consistent.

th_SakoFinnfire25yds_zps53e6d985.jpg

Yes, no doubt about it. However, it's not cheap. Just recently I've been having good results with Eley sport (green box) in my Finnfire.

This is 10 shots at 25 yards, maybe not the tightest group but very consistent.

th_SakoFinnfire25yds_zps53e6d985.jpg

Or the sport...

Probably worth getting a box of each and then having a shoot out.

Nice video, very interesting well put together.

thanks for posting this

Andrew

Hi,

I use solid target rounds in my.22

Never thought the hollow point did much in sub sonic

And I always think shot placement is more important.

Regards Phil

Only used a few, my AMT Theoben is chambered for Lapua Pistol Match.

First rabbit I center chest shot at about 50 yards, no impact sound, it hopped off looking like I had missed, found it dead 10 yards inside the wood, shot was perfect.

Head shots then yes not a lot of difference but I have never had that with SSHPs. The bigger opening bullets of the period ( Magtech and Winchester) were excellent stoppers but far to greasy to use in a match chamber. Settled on Eley SSHPs in the end, anything rabbit size hit centre chest was game over.

A

Anyone got an idea on the cost difference from say my average box of 100 Remington .22LR hollow point subs at

£3.50 - £4.00. Compared to the .22LR RWS Rifle Match, the yellow and black box ones??

Jamie

I haven't compared them to solids but the Eley subs do mushroom quite tidily in rabbit:

d445fc922ec8c9f40a35cf09c3892a0c.jpg

743af5ea239551bb9e31a36644ee0355.jpg

e3c4d6723b8b1415fe0a08108c9760cf.jpg

I haven't compared them to solids but the Eley subs do mushroom quite tidily in rabbit:

d445fc922ec8c9f40a35cf09c3892a0c.jpg

743af5ea239551bb9e31a36644ee0355.jpg

e3c4d6723b8b1415fe0a08108c9760cf.jpg

What sort of range was that over?

Much better expansion than I imagined given the low speeds involved.

Thinking about it; I remember being surprised at how much more stopping power RWS HP .22 pellets had in rats than dome head ones, and they really are slow!

I shot about 10 that evening, all between 30 and 80yds. Don't know what range this particular one was shot at. It's all a bit irrelevant as I usually head shoot anyway. The difference here was that the rabbit was head-on and the bullet came to rest under the skin on the back.

I might try some of the subsonic match ammo, if it's not too pricey. I'd value accuracy over expansion in this situation.

If you want some really good expanding 22lr subsonic loads, try to find the CCI segmented subsonic hollow points. They break into 3 pieces on impact. Here is a few pics, sorry for the dissection etc. From memory this one was taken off hand around 50 meters and was aiming for a chest/body shot yet I pulled it and it hit a little further back than what I would have liked. Didnt matter, it dropped on the spot without twitching.

Here is the entry wound

Pic_0725_079_zps2f68c877.jpg

Here are the exit wounds- note the 3 holes and the fairly massive damage. If you not shooting for the table, they would be very good. The only downside is they are double the price here than normal winchester subsonics.

Pic_0725_078_zps66db8eab.jpg

hi had a look at your Vid on youtube ,its good to see what a certain type of amo can produce in field conditions,

I was just wondering if you noticed the caravan at the top of the hill at 10 o clock directly behind your target ,

Well I never! I've never noticed that before. Just goes to show that you need to be carefull before spraying bullets about. :)

thanks for not being offended ;)

hi had a look at your Vid on youtube ,its good to see what a certain type of amo can produce in field conditions,

I was just wondering if you noticed the caravan at the top of the hill at 10 o clock directly behind your target ,

The old caravan is handy to use as a hide sometimes and somewhere to get out of the weather when it's **** down. It took it's last road trip a good while ago.

Have you tried RWS hollow points?

The best hollow point accuracy of all that I have tried in my CZ 452. :)

Only used a few, my AMT Theoben is chambered for Lapua Pistol Match.

First rabbit I center chest shot at about 50 yards, no impact sound, it hopped off looking like I had missed, found it dead 10 yards inside the wood, shot was perfect.

Head shots then yes not a lot of difference but I have never had that with SSHPs. The bigger opening bullets of the period ( Magtech and Winchester) were excellent stoppers but far to greasy to use in a match chamber. Settled on Eley SSHPs in the end, anything rabbit size hit centre chest was game over.

I've had exactly the same finding, spookily same type upper body shot and effect, same rifle using Lapua hp which have a very narrow hp.

When I had the same problem using my 1417 annie, I switched back to eley mid shoot, sorted.

I now use Rws hp in my AMT to good effect.

The only meaning full expansion I have seen with sub hp's is with an end to end body shot on a rabbit, but there is something going on re stopping power with a good sub hp.

A

I shot about 10 that evening, all between 30 and 80yds. Don't know what range this particular one was shot at. It's all a bit irrelevant as I usually head shoot anyway. The difference here was that the rabbit was head-on and the bullet came to rest under the skin on the back.

I might try some of the subsonic match ammo, if it's not too pricey. I'd value accuracy over expansion in this situation.

The Eley Club I bought today were £57/500.

The Eley Target were £87/500.

I decided to see how the Club went before spending more!

Having got through a couple of hundred tonight, I can say that they defo shoot tighter than the HP's. They seem a bit louder somehow, but not supersonic.

I would say that they will be much better than the HP's once my barrel has re-seasoned (I cleaned it as part of the change over - it may be in shock!), certainly some of the groups were getting to fingernail sized at 60m, but then others were stringing up or across, or I'd get 4 out of 5 in a single hole, and then one a cm high/low and a cm left/right. Again I think it will settle down.

What I would say though on a rabbiting front is that the CCI Velocitor (40grn 1400+fps) always grouped as well as the Eley HP's up to 80/100m. Obviously they crack on account of the speed, but they do open up from their HP shape, and are carrying about twice as much energy at the barrel...chest shot bunnies go nowhere but down at up to 80m (about as far as I tend to shoot them), and they don't expolde like a HMR/22 hornet/.204 ruger etc etc etc.

Have you tried RWS hollow points?

The best hollow point accuracy of all that I have tried in my CZ 452. :)

Yep, but they were not as good as the Eley HP's in my CZ.

Archived