shortening a barrel

I have an idea which Im toying with at present. Im thinking about shortening my Sako .243 to a 20" barrel length + moddy, but Im unsure how this affect the rfiles performance? Taking in mind that I dont/will not shoot in excess of 300yds would it affect the rifles accuracy and. I would like to improve the handling of the rifle thats why Im thinking about doing this! Im planning on replacing my 308 in the next 12 months and get a Howa Ultra light mountain which has a 20" barrel thats where the idea came from.

Also would any one have an idea of price for this job? Cutting, re crowning, threading, reproofing etc!

The Sako will also dropped into another stock and pillar bedded through time as well, so this would be a sort of semi custom so to speak.

I think you've got a pretty much mint classic Sako and chopping it would be a shame!
Its Soooooooooooooooo tempting I can see the butchered sorry customised Sako in my head!!! :lol::P

Get the Howa and get that threaded

Im going to mate but it will be a 308 not 243!!

Nutty,

Shortening the barrel will probably loose you about 75-150fps not a problem with a 243.

Cant see any problem about bedding it into a Bell and Carlson stock, as for the accurising device leave it alone mate, these things are a gimmick as any smith will tell you, exerting pressure on the barrel is a bit of a hit and miss affair and highly unreliable, one small knock and you would probably have to re-tune.

A free float will be much better.

Ian

Guest rogern

Nutty

.22 rimmys can be chopped back to the min legal limit I think, 16" and not make a blind bit of difference over the ranges you use for rabbits etc.

The legal limit for a rimfire is 12", or more precisely, 30cms.They work perfectly at this length, usually better than full length.

Dont know whether yours is but sako barrels were slightly "choked" at the muzzle end of the barrel, so chopping it could have nasty results and too late when its done.

You have lost your flash so the deletion has worked through, put it on hunt101.com no prejudice there.

Redfox

Guest rogern
Dont know whether yours is but sako barrels were slightly "choked" at the muzzle end of the barrel, so chopping it could have nasty results and too late when its done.

You have lost your flash so the deletion has worked through, put it on hunt101.com no prejudice there.

Redfox

Redfox, I dont have a clue what you are talking about re 'lost flash & prejudice'

The sakos staying as is and Ill way the pros and cons before the 308 gets done after all I want a howa ultra light! the rimmy is getting the chop though. Ive a new bit of ground which will lend itself to lamping perfectly!!! Its that good I missed a bloody buck last night TWICE :lol: The worst bit is he is possibly a medal contender Ive never had a buck like this in the scope before!!!! Ill say this though Ill never make the mistake I made last night again!! I had time but tried to shoot of a fence post which to say the least wasnt the best choice!!! I could have got into a better postion!! :lol: LESSON LEARNT THE HARD WAY!!!! :lol:

Then I missed a bloody fox at about 200yds POI will be going back to 1" high at 100!! I forgot the rifle was scoped at 80yds bang on!! The fox had a dirt shower which it didnt like!!!

Thanks for all your input lads.

Glad to hear that, John. The old Sakos are too good to mess with! (unless the barrels are pitted, in which case do as you wish- I've 2 barrels on order for A2's, but that's another story). My .22 is 14", which I find ideal.

A lesson learned re. getting a good rest and knowing your rifle, but if you've never missed a deer you've not shot at many.

Guest A-max
The sakos staying as is and Ill way the pros and cons before the 308 gets done after all I want a howa ultra light! the rimmy is getting the chop though. Ive a new bit of ground which will lend itself to lamping perfectly!!! Its that good I missed a bloody buck last night TWICE :lol: The worst bit is he is possibly a medal contender Ive never had a buck like this in the scope before!!!! Ill say this though Ill never make the mistake I made last night again!! I had time but tried to shoot of a fence post which to say the least wasnt the best choice!!! I could have got into a better postion!! :lol: LESSON LEARNT THE HARD WAY!!!! :(

Then I missed a bloody fox at about 200yds POI will be going back to 1" high at 100!! I forgot the rifle was scoped at 80yds bang on!! The fox had a dirt shower which it didnt like!!!

Thanks for all your input lads.

Nothing wrong with a fence post rest!!!!

Me think's it was a case of "BUCK FEVER" :lol::(:(

Nothing wrong with a fence post rest!!!!
aye if you pick the right 1 not the wobbliest then realise but hey sod it use it!!! :lol:

Me think's it was a case of "BUCK FEVER"

That went through my mind as well but Im normally cool as a cucumber mate!!!! :lol:

Guest 308Panther

"Redfox, I dont have a clue what you are talking about re 'lost flash & prejudice'"

Rogern...Hint....check Nutty's Avatar....

Hint...What aint she doin??;)

Nutty...Quit lookin at the horns....Focus on the spot you want to hit.

And relax....and breathe...

An ol' timer once told me ....If your lookin at the horns you aint lookin where ya are

supposed too.

This is the second best advice I have ever been given from an old hunter...

308Panther

"Redfox, I dont have a clue what you are talking about re 'lost flash & prejudice'"

An ol' timer once told me ....If your lookin at the horns you aint lookin where ya are

supposed too.

308Panther

Cheers panther for your reply but trust me mate I was looking at the engine room when I squeezed of!! After I admired the size of its rear end and thought how much meat was coming of it!! ;)

Guest rogern
Cheers panther for your reply but trust me mate I was looking at the engine room when I squeezed of!! After I admired the size of its rear end and thought how much meat was coming of it!! ;)

"I admired the size of its rear end" are you sure you were'nt wishing it was a sheep nutty ;)

Guest rogern

supposed too.

308Panther

308Panther, what was the first bit of advice given by the old hunter?

"I admired the size of its rear end" are you sure you were'nt wishing it was a sheep nutty
Dont tar me with the same brush as you Rog!!! Longdoggyperson told me what you are like!! ;)

308Panther, what was the first bit of advice given by the old hunter?

Not to be nosey Rog!!! ;)

Dittos on cutting some types 22rf's back. A 22 factory barrel that is straight for the full length, ok to cut back from muzzle, most of the time. If it has a 'lump' at the muzzle, would suggest cutting back from the chamber end. The reason as stated before is the barrels rifling dimensions is likely 'choked', or slightly smaller at the muzzle than chamber, and cutting that end back could result in erratic shots. The reason it is choked is due to the barrel stress relieving during the contouring process, the bore dimensions expand along the length of the barrel as the steel is cut off the outside, so what may have started as a .218/.222 bore/groove dimension may end up .220/.224 after profiling. The end of the barrel is left oversize on the OD so the bore dimensions don't expand as much, resulting about .219/.223 dimensions, a slight choke, and if they didn't, they wouldn't shoot. I've just checked out 3 Annie 22LR barrels for the Norwegian Biatholon Olympic team coach, and this was the case with the trio. Know very well if the end was chopped off, these barrels wouldn't hit minute of duck.

Practical length for centerfire rifle depends on the amount of powder in the case vs bore diameter, plus what is practical for you to carry around, your application may vary. You can't put a definite 50fps loss per inch lost, it can vary from cartridge to cartridge. Accuracy wise, you may have to switch to a slightly faster powder to gain the full potential, but don't shy cuz of loss of velocity for your application, just rezero and reset your drop charts. 20" for .243 Win or 6mm Rem is not unheard of. Many of the police swat teams in america are using the HS Precision RDR(Rapid Deployment Rifle) system which incorporates a heavy barreled 20" pipe, the more popular offerings are in 6mm Rem, .308, .243 Win. These pipes plant groups. Also take into account the XP-100 bolt action pistols, which use 15-17" barrels in 6mmRem, .308, .243, 6-7-30BR and PPC, and they get the job done as well, well past 300yds. 20" is practical for many applications. I wouldn't use these short barrels on the F-Class 1000 yd line, but that is a whole different monster all together..

my .02

JR

Archived