Fitting a Barnard trigger to a tikka 590

Redshift

Hi all,

The cocking sear on my trigger broke last week, I have been offered a trigger by one of the members on here( cheers tiff) as an option I've got in touch with dolphin to ask if they do a Barnard trigger to fit the rifle, Mik said he does them for a t3 and is not sure if they fit a 590. Could any of the gunsmiths etc on here give me any advice on the subject?

Cheers

Redshift

It should fit. They fit a 595/695 so no reason they wont fit a 590.

The triggers are not made by Barnard, they are made by B and M.

It should fit. They fit a 595/695 so no reason they wont fit a 590.

The triggers are not made by Barnard, they are made by B and M.

Hi,

I've just checked MIk's email, he does state that it's a Barnard trigger, i wondered if it's the same trigger that Mat tilton (mtguns) used to supply. To show my ignorance who are B&M ?

Regards

Redshift

B&M Enterprises

PO Box 19031 Avondale, Auckland New Zealand Ph/Fax 9 828 4819

I would guess as Barnard now say they are made "in-house" that they have bought these guys out.

Yes it is the same trigger that MTguns sell.

• 2 months later...

B&M Enterprises [/size]

PO Box 19031 Avondale, Auckland New Zealand Ph/Fax 9 828 4819 [/size]

I would [/size]guess as Barnard now say they are made "in-house" that they have bought these guys out.

Yes it is the same trigger that MTguns sell.

Plus 1 on this. Went to order one of these for my old 595 a few years back. The only thing that stopped me was there was no safety on it. I was going to use it for foxing.

Why you need a safety

Its loaded or unloaded…..

Sorry, you don't seem to follow what I'm getting at - I never trust safeties on rifles - no matter what the brand of trigger or manufacturer.

The weapon is either loaded or unloaded - no mistakes then.

Sorry, you don't seem to follow what I'm getting at - I never trust safeties on rifles - no matter what the brand of trigger or manufacturer.

you beat me to that sentiment Ronin

Seriously? Would you really go stalking or foxing with no safety?

If so, good luck to you and those around you.

Of course none of us would deliberately point a loaded rifle at anything we did not wish to shoot, safety on or not, but accidents do happen. Triggers catch on vegetation, clothing or whatever. Why risk using a rifle without a safety catch when triggers with safety are available?

With respect....

If only it were that simple.....again!

While it is true that many target rifles (BR eg) do not have safety catches,it is also true that they should never even have a bolt in them,until they are on the firing point,and pointing downrange....

However,almost all sporting rifles do have safeties of some sort.......and for good reason.

I accept that it would be ill advised to trust any mechanical device 100%,but much the same can be said of any human.Accidental

discharges do happen,sometimes they have a negligent component too....such discharges are very much less likely to occur if a safety catch has been used ....that does not mean that rifles with a safety catch can be handled with less care,and anyone who trusts the user of a non safety catch rifle to be exemplary in his handling is being unwise.

The case for a safety catch is even stronger in hunting/stalking scenarios where the rifle is loaded,but the (final) approach to the shot is through bushes/trees/rough terrain,perhaps crawling.Many will think that a safety catch here is near mandatory.

I suspect that rather more accidents have resulted from rifles with no safety catch used,than from rifles with a safety catch properly used.The safety catch is a very useful extra safety system-we cannot have,of course, definitive data on how often a safety catch prevented an unintentional discharge,but there is evidence on discharges where a safety catch was not used- ie the majority of accidental discharges-safeties do not fail very often. Competition and sporting shotgun use makes exactly the same point,but with unfortunately rather more accidental discharges in the field.Are those sceptical of safeties happy to be with an 'unloaded' -and closed shotgun user as he crosses a fence-afterall, it's unloaded,unless there has been a human failure......

In a sentence,the use of a safety catch very much reduces the chance of an unwanted discharge,in the vast majority of shooting scenarios,for quite minimal effort.

G

you beat me to that sentiment Ronin

Are not some accidental shootings the result of just such a mistake -the "I didn't know it was loaded" is unfortunately not fictional.Had a safety catch been operational,the vast majority of such incidents would not have happened.

While 'either loaded or not" is true,what a human being mistakenly 'thinks' is quite a different matter-any acquaintence with 'accidents' makes that point-and we all have such acquaintence.Psychologists have this documented in some detail.

Circuit failure is often located between the ears.

Not by oneself,of course.But being shot by someone else is of little consolation,I would imagine.

there is no need to carry your rifle with the bolt down and the safety on it take 2 secs max do quietly drop a bolt and pull the trigger

would you rely on a safety only when on the back of a landrover out foxing at night bouncing about. or riding round with a rifle beside you (one up the spout ready) or out stalking with the rifle over your shoulder - i think not

more like you would drop the bolt when you seen that fox/deer/vermon and have taken the situation of the locality in to account

any way we are going off topic

Appears there are vastly differing views on the use of safeties.

I stalk a lot, I'm out from August at least once a week through to the end of the stag season (So August through to May) and I shoot a fair few animals.

I always carry my rifle unloaded - no round in the chamber, its a seconds task to chamber a cartridge and easily done without making noise.

I dont rely on safeties, never have, never will.

If Im foxing, the rifles got one under the bolt, nothing in the chamber.

Foolish to rely on a safety - if your stalking undergrowth can snick it off quite easily without a person spotting it - the potential consequences are obvious.

I treat all rifles the same, be that on a range, or when I'm stalking or foxing - no possible chance of an accident then.

Now perhaps we can get back on topic

So, what do you do when walking through cover with a shotgun hoping to put a woodcock or a pheasant up? Your success rate must be low if you don't put cartridges in until the bird flushes.

Still, welcome all to UKV, the forum where your opinion is invalid if you aren't a moderator.

So, what do you do when walking through cover with a shotgun hoping to put a woodcock or a pheasant up? Your success rate must be low if you don't put cartridges in until the bird flushes.

......but Spud can load and get off a shot at Jerry Miculak speeds...2 secs,I think....do you have it in stock,Mark?

Seriously,we are off the point really,since Andy/Mark introduced it here.It seems to be discussable,though.

A new thread might help-but not to just repeat the same invalid point-100% reliance -on anything,metal or human :-)

......but Spud can load and get off a shot at Jerry Miculak speeds...2 secs,I think....do you have it in stock,Mark?

Seriously,we are off the point really,since Andy/Mark introduced it here.It seems to be discussable,though.

A new thread might help-but not to just repeat the same invalid point-100% reliance -on anything,metal or human :-)

G

ps let's leave aside the issue as to when/if a moderator is a silencer,though you can get a taste of/for this kind of semantic conundrum in

"Less is More" by Donaldson and Balfour

Still, welcome all to UKV, the forum where your opinion is invalid if you aren't a moderator.

i disagree here mate all comments are welcome . Even if your from the North :P

may be more like 5-10 secs then but you know what i mean

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

i have been on both sides i used to be like 17 rem and would not dare have a trigger with no safety .but then dave fitted a barnard for me with no safety.in no time at all i got used to walking round with rounds in the mag and only chambered just before a shot.if i did not take the shot i got used to taking the mag off removing the chambered round and putting it back in the mag ready.if i could afford a barnard for my tikka tomorrow i would go back to shooting that way without any hesitation because its worth it for such a good trigger. both ways are safe if the rifle is handled correctly .you guys are arguing who is more right but you both are. just have different stlyes.

i have been on both sides i used to be like 17 rem and would not dare have a trigger with no safety .but then dave fitted a barnard for me with no safety.in no time at all i got used to walking round with rounds in the mag and only chambered just before a shot.if i did not take the shot i got used to taking the mag off removing the chambered round and putting it back in the mag ready.if i could afford a barnard for my tikka tomorrow i would go back to shooting that way without any hesitation because its worth it for such a good trigger. both ways are safe if the rifle is handled correctly .you guys are arguing who is more right but you both are. just have different stlyes.

Yes,ok-see the new thread "do you trust your safety'.

Not for the first time some of the posts have been at cross(well,goodnatured) purposes-the whole context changes if we are talking about an empty chamber-perhaps the best safety condition,as you imply.The original question was why have a safety catch,and one reason is that it offers an additional safety feature-not that it is fail safe,with a loaded chamber.Having a detached magazine is a further safer maker. So mag in,bolt cycled,safety off...fire is perhaps as good as it can get,where possible.

Archived