whats legal and not

nuttyspaniel

Following on from my thread in "rifles" about custom rifle building, I would like to know whats legal and whats not!

A stock, trigger unit and an un-chambered barrel can be sent to your house but what about an action for instance?

Also how does it work for the serial number on a fully built custom rifle? When if when would a serial number be stamped and accredited to the newly built rifle? If its from a donor rifle then I would expect the serial number to comply with the donor rifle, but what about a new custom from scratch?

Stock, trigger and UNCHAMBERED barrel are fine without FAC.

Although it could be argued that the trigger and stock are component parts perversly!

Action - different ball game.

You will not get an action sent to you unless it has been barrelled and you have a space on your ticket for this.

New actions arn't proofed untill they are barrelled, but being a component part you cannot own it on a normal FAC untill it is barrelled and chambered for something you have entitlement for.

RFD's may own any component part as long as its entered on their register.

You could buy a donor rifle in the same chamber as the planned build and then have it rebarrelled and customised, but I do not think it is possible for you to buy an action , store it yourself and then have it barrelled.

A way around this is sort out a deal with a supplier, have the action sent to an RFD or riflesmith and then get the work done from there.

You do not "possess" the items untill the work is done and take delivery of the finished product,,, but you own them - if you see where I am coming from.

Re serial numbers - new actions usually have manufacturers serial numbers alreay stamped or engraved on, barrels (aftermarket) do not, neither do triggers.

Hope thats clear?

Archived