Which boots ?

gunner

Hi all , iv needed some for a while now but not sure which ones to get ? What do you guys wear or recommend ? as thell be used for dog walking varminting on farms / some very hilly , foxing , maybe some decoying from hide etc . I do like berghaus fleeces / gortex jackets etc there stuffs quality ! budget upto maybe 200 ? Cheers

Hi all , iv needed some for a while now but not sure which ones to get ? What do you guys wear or recommend ? as thell be used for dog walking varminting on farms / some very hilly , foxing , maybe some decoying from hide etc . I do like berghaus fleeces / gortex jackets etc there stuffs quality ! budget upto maybe 200 ? Cheers

Meindl's every time for me, I use the Dovre extremes for shooting and a pair of their Burma's for working in.

Meindl's every time for me, I use the Dovre extremes for shooting and a pair of their Burma's for working in.

x2 - Meindl are also my boot of choice.

I like lundhags...have two pairs (one for the summer and one for the winter) and they are superb. Had them 6 years and they still look new, despite S. Africa, N. Zealand, Scotland, wet, dry, snow, cold hot, you name it... I've even fished for trout wading with them. Waterproof, warm, comfortable and unparalleled service should anything go wrong. Not cheap, but cheap when you think how many other pairs I would have had to buy over that period of time...

Best wishes

Finman

Lots of good choices that will do the job and last well if properly cared for. My advice would be get yourself to a good outdoor shop with knowledgable staff and make sure they fit properly (don't just buy your size online and hope fir the best).

I run Meindl and Scarpa - I have pairs over 10 years old that have seen constant heavy use, subjected to Derbyshire peat hags on a regular basis which is known as a boot killer. They are still going strong

+1 for the Lowa Mountain Boots.

Pros - Extremely tough boot, great ankle support, fast lace, goxtex lined, superb pedigree, vibram sole, very comfortable

Cons - heavier than most, gortex can be too hot in summer

I have had a pair for four years and they've done many many miles of runs, tabs, climbs in snow, ice etc.

Big fan of these boots.

(can get Lowa dessert for summer - great ventilation)

Hope this helps,

J

Lots of good makes mentioned above.

My advice:

1/ Full leather boot everytime, Gortex and other membranes in boots are always a weak point.

2/ There are many types of Vibram sole, some are very grippy, some used in a lot of cheaper Salomon and Merrel boots are very poor on slippy wet ground.

3/ Buy the ones that actually fit your foot, not the ones you think you want to buy.

Scarpa, La Sportiva and Meindel do very good boots using quality leather, Danners are a bit soft in the leather, Lowa Mountain boots are not bad.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Thankyou for input :) im thinking so i dont necessarily need goretex as they be used mainly spring to autumn ? If leather is good quality and looked after ? I normally just wear chamu wellies and cheaper dunlops when its muddy and wet mostly for winter !

If you want wellies then The Muck Boot company ones are stunning. I wear them while rough shooting on farmland and they are very comfortable, flawlessly waterproof and the neoprene upper makes them perfect in hot weather.

I've not tried their non-welly type boots but if they are as good as the wellies then they will be very good.

Glad no one's mentioned Le Chameau boots as any good, the first pair I had a good few years ago were fantastic and lasted about 3 years. The second and third pair's were absolute rubbish and lasted about 6 months , not had any for about 6 years now but I doubt the quality has improved!

French....cough cough....lol

I highly recommend the Altberg boots my friend, vibram soles, full leather, fit to your size...made in house in Yorkshire if special fit, I have heard they are now producing out of UK due to the demand but not entirely sure on this, as far as I was told, this is for ready sized boots.

VERY pleased with mine.

Take a look at link...

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/gamekeeper-boot/ these are the boot I have, look at rest of site and give them a call. Very helpful.

All the best

CZV

Penrith survival do lundhags and so did Tamarack, I haven't checked for a while, you get that with lundhags ;)

Best wishes

Finman

French....cough cough....lol

I highly recommend the Altberg boots my friend, vibram soles, full leather, fit to your size...made in house in Yorkshire if special fit, I have heard they are now producing out of UK due to the demand but not entirely sure on this, as far as I was told, this is for ready sized boots.

VERY pleased with mine.

Take a look at link...

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/gamekeeper-boot/ these are the boot I have, look at rest of site and give them a call. Very helpful.

All the best

CZV

+1 on Altbergs.. great boots, great customer service. Cant fault them really. I had a pair of Le Chameau once.. what a waste of time!!

HI GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOOT CHOICE BUT,,do not buy black islander boots ,I have had four pairs in three years ,all have leaked.very expensive rubbish,i have been told they are now made at a different factory but I will never buy them again

Tested my Danners at the RRC and even after a walk with Paul through the swamp my feet were dry and warm. The soft leather makes them very comfy, quite and lasts years. I'm on my third pair in 30 years.

Im surprised no one has mentioned lacrosse ....I cannot rate mine highly enough!

Totally waterproof,and so light....its like wearing trainers.

Cant fault Lowa products,have two different pairs and they outlasted matterhorn danner berghaus zamberland scarpa iv had in the past, allthough the altberg boots/service look great and Uk Company too

I've used Meindl Burma pro for a long time and they have served me well but of late I've moved over to the Scarpa SL's as they don't have Gore-tex linings and have better in soles . Decide on how much walking you intend doing in the new boots as Gore-tex is good for keeping water out but it will keep sweat in . Whatever boots you decide on get them a size bigger than you need , buy a pair of quality insoles for about £30 ( unless you buy SL's and you won't need the after market insoles ) and use something like Renapur Leather Balsam on them as often as you can .

OSOK