Extreme spreads with a shehane

dorg

Playing with my shehane and trying to sort a load out for it, grouping is ok but I am struggling to get the spreads below 40fps. I am using 180 bergers and H4831 , I ran the powder up in 0.3 of a grain increments and stopped at 56.6gn . 2 thou neck tension and 2 thou neck clearance. I have also tried various seating depths but am really struggling with the spreads any advise would be gratefully recieved.

Which primer? my guess is CCI BR2, if not then try them. Sometimes a different primer can really make a difference.

Failing that then you either shoot it as is or try a different bullet with the 4831 or you try a different powder.

Yep BR2 primers, I think N165 may be worth a try, I also have some SMKs in 175 and 180.

Simon. try a different primer first, I'm not sure if it will be able to get you into single figures but it might reduce it to the low or high teens.

I recently developed a very promising load for my 284 with H4350 and Federal primers, accuracy was very good but the ES was in the low 20's, on a hunch I tested exactly the same load but used CCI BR2 primers, I had a 7 shot string with a ES of 6, safe to say that load has shot brilliantly for me.

If the change of primer doesn't work then look at a different bullet or powder.

Hi Dorg

Have a look back at Powders for a 7mm Shehane it may help the Vit 160 was with Federal BR primers.

Regards

Viv

No chance that's all been spent on bullets , just remind me how much did I charge you for the last lot of 4831 I let you have , if your lucky I might buy you an ice cream

If that's with a flake? then it's a done deal.

Danny, I will try the primers I suspect you are right as I tried several loads using N165 today and exactly the same spreads, groups opening and closing as you would expect one thing though I got much higher speeds before any signs of pressure. will try federal gmm 210s.

Danny, You were right changing primers to federal, extreme spreads are half or less for same amounts of powder, best load so far fed 210 primer,57.2 grains N160, extreme spread 7fps 5 shots and group is 0.240 at 120yds giving 2880fps. Think I,m sorted also got 6.5 x 47 shooting many thanks for that load too.

Archived