Bradders' 2014 Summer Collection

For me, 45 yard smallbore and black powder range, plus using on the closer turning targets on the MoD STANTA battle area in Norfolk that my club uses (I say closer, using enough holdover they will knock the targets over out to around 300 yards or so!).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuine question...

What are these for? Some club discipline or just fun??

Look fun!

Standing in front of the mirror while wearing Crye and a beard

What sort of accuracy can you expect from these?

As good as any other quality semi auto match .22, but like all it really depends on the ammo

For me it will be a bit of everything.

Club comps on indoor range, any 2 gun or 3 gun comps that come up and a bit of bunny bashing from the truck.

Mine was putting 10 rounds into one ragged hole at 25 metres using cci segmented subsonic yesterday. Thats with a 4x scope.

Would be interesting to try it with Lapua ammo and a high mag scope.

Took mine to the club on Tuesday.

Worked flawlessly when zeroing even continuing to function after 200 rds and looking dirty.

So imagine my surprise to find it firing, ejecting and chambering a new round but not cocking the hammer.

The "experts" rallied around and tried to help. One seemed very happy to have found a BAR22 which was not cycling.

However - once I looked at it logically there was only two things that varied between working perfectly and not working. One - cleaned and oiled. So I dried off the oil but no change.

I then realised my left hand grip was different - holding magwell with part of palm touching mag. It must have been having an effect because as soon as I held it properly it returned to cycling perfectly !!

• 2 months later...

No 2 of 6 now has its correct grip and X Form magazine :) .

DSC_0176_zps766f1045.jpg

DSC_0169_zpsf50a240c.jpg

I finally got around to shooting mine for the first time on the turning targets at the STANTA battle area a couple of days ago. Fun to shoot, and performed faultlessly. Cheers Mark B) .

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought-in the to the 'Bradley Dream' :lol::)

This is mine. I love it:

e385219c-7732-4094-b9ff-1209f3c41438_zps

20140628_170419_zpsf61772f1.jpg

Grippod is the path to greatness; can shoot excellent groups with it; weighs nothing; deploys in a fraction of a second.

20140807_162906_resized_3_zpsdab38f7a.jp

Think it's the most fun rifle I've ever used! - and extremely accurate with Eley Standard - Bradder's conversion has a DouglasXX barrel mated with a ciener back-end; I also went for a mag conversion insert (forget the name) from JohnMH that enables the real bolt hold open to work if S&W mags are used.

When I got it, had an initial inability to be patient and had to have a go with a red dot - it seemed promising

20140626_192543_resized_1_zpsdfcb70a2.jp

Then whacked a 5-25 on it to see what it'd do.

Representative (NB:representative, not best) group at 52m; and this with a standard trigger that feels like dragging a canoe up a gravel drive: 20140628_151420_zps7190fe24.jpg

OK, this is best at 52m :D
20140628_152818_zps1a265d4d.jpg

Now put a Leup Mk4 (from Blaserman on here) sitting in a JP cantilever.

How reliable is the Bolt Hold Open with the Boonie Packer Better Mag Adapter?

Almost 100%. It transforms the thing for me; I wanted the real controls to work. With this, they do. Also pleasantly surprised by the S&W mags, they look weedy in photos; in reality they're rock solid thick polymer.

Hugh, not sure - it was a Mark's "this'll look best" recommendation. I went with his calibrated eye.

[Edited to ad: Forend is marked 12.37" and the barrel measures at 16" - although I think it's 'apparent length' is shorter than on a 5.56 because more of the barrel sits in the receiver on the 22 - I suspect it's 'look' is equivalent to a 14.5" or 15" 5.56 barrel]

It does look very nice. Perhaps Bradders will remember the specs. I particularly like the look of his new hand guards.

To be honest I have been thinking about a 12" Smith & Wesson 15-22, retrofitted with one of his hand guards. However, by the time that you cost this up, you are probably not far off of one of these. Of course, that does depend on whether there will ever be a Bradders winter collection!

The VFG is Cak

Mark:

"Beauty is in the AUGe of the beholder."

But apart from that aberration,what did the Austrians ever do for service rifle?

Ok,apart from Aug and Mannlicher,what did the Austrians ever do for service .....

georg :-)

The VFG is Cak

:lol::lol:

Well,as regards the grippod, the land forces of most of europe, the UK, USA and Canada have a different opinion ;):lol::)

The grip pod's utility is as an instant bipod - it gives soldiers and marines a better chance of actually hitting what they're shooting at....

grippod_zps44407bdc.png

.... I know that amongst CSR crowd there's a small elite band of highly selected and trained Tier 0 shadow operators able to provide a different view derived from their experience at the pointy end of, er, Century.

Hopefully, one day, allied land forces will catch up. Until then, I understand "Tier Zero" will be the title of Tom Clancy's next book.

:lol::):)

It does look very nice. Perhaps Bradders will remember the specs. I particularly like the look of his new hand guards.

To be honest I have been thinking about a 12" Smith & Wesson 15-22, retrofitted with one of his hand guards. However, by the time that you cost this up, you are probably not far off of one of these. Of course, that does depend on whether there will ever be a Bradders winter collection!

Hugh, honestly: don't touch something that isn't built from a real AR - and I can't recommend what Bradder's has put together highly enough.

A long while ago, I carried a Diemaco for 2 years at work and would be sniffy about anything that felt 'not right' or operated 'oddly'.

I can genuinely say that this BAR absolutely does it for me - and it's brought back my rifle 'grin factor'

Gratuitous repeat pic:

b5b8c946-cd3b-435b-aaf7-592deefed51d_zps

As I understand it, the grippod is seldom actually used as a bipod on the 2-way range. The bipod feature is only really used to keep the rifle out of the dirt when you are having a brew. The main reason that it was bought was because it is difficult/impossible to take a proper firing position when wearing Osprey body armour and using an SA80 with the old hand guard. The grip pod allows you to scan and shoot the rifle without excessive muscle strain.

As I understand it, the grippod is seldom actually used as a bipod on the 2-way range. The bipod feature is only really used to keep the rifle out of the dirt when you are having a brew. The main reason that it was bought was because it is difficult/impossible to take a proper firing position when wearing Osprey body armour and using an SA80 with the old hand guard. The grip pod allows you to scan and shoot the rifle without excessive muscle strain.

Well, yes and no, lest we fall into false deductions from incomplete data; a quick contextual reminder of the layout and relative heights on an SA80:

a04c9c0f-1d92-4158-97c3-ee83e4c2c9eb_zps

We also had to buy a new helmet because of Osprey......... body armour designed as a UOR solution for a static requirement in Iraq; and then misapplied elsewhere. Speak to today's young infantry officers and you'll find many with a strongly held view that Osprey has killed, through loss of situational awareness due to fatigue/exhaustion from carrying its insanely excessive weight, as many as it's saved from kinetic damage.

...quite apart from that :) SA80's always been a shocker to get a sight picture in a prone position with any heavy kit on.

Archived