Sightron scopes.

Ben Chenery

Hi All,

Does anyone use a Sightron scope?

I have been looking at the new sightron S-TAC scope and really like the spec on it. I have been struggling to find anyone with a bad word to say about them so I am sceptical. I would appreciate any input from anyone who use's/has used them even if it's not this model.

quality of glass both day and night.

adjustment tracking

build quality

Thank's in advance,

Ben.

Hello Ben, I have two sightron scopes a stac and a s3 6.5-24x50 . Both are brilliant scopes, glass is very good in both. Adjustments are very positive and precise and always return to zero. When I get my new rifle I will be getting another. If you are local to me you would be more than welcome to take a look at/through them.

Paul

There are a lot of Sightron Series II and III target scope users on this forum, and the feedback on these scopes is uniformly good. I have five 8-32X56 SIII models in two models covering three reticles for F-Class and F/TR, so I don't need to say more so far as my opinion goes, do I?

I can't comment on the S-TAC.

Hi Ben

I use an 8-32x56 S111 for up to 1000 yard.

I think for the price they are a good scope.

I will be changing one of zeizz scopes to my .308 and will get a sightron to replace it on the .243.

It seems the hunting rets are very good and they work well at night

Hope it helps some

Viv

OK, so the hype is well founded then, As always not a bad word to be said about the sightron scopes so far. I am always worried if everything tells you something is golden it rarely is but maybe this is one of those things that truly is.

Thanks to everyone who has responded already and I keen to have any other opinions so keep them coming.

Cheers,

Ben

Three Sightrons for me, two 6-24 SIII and one 8-32. One of the 24x lives on my .338, the other on a .300WM. Glass is as good as my Nightforce scopes.

I've seen the new s-tac and it looks good, yet to try one.

I asked Sightron direct if the SIII's would stand up to .50 bmg abuse, they said yes it would, go for it and in the unlikely event I broke it they would take care of it no questions.

The only thing that has stopped them getting mentioned more is they are not as 'tacticool' is some other scopes in the price range. However on features that matter such as glass, tracking, warranty, build quality they hold their own.

i have a sightron on my 6ppc br rifle had a 8-32 on a fclass 6mm rifle-used one on my .22br-

do you need more positive fed back?

they are probably the best value for money brand about and -any problems-not that there are any i know of-John[aim fields sports] will deal with the issue.

buy one

Ok, Cheers for that then guys I'm sold on it, they MUST be good.

I see what you mean Brown dog, i'm just a sceptic at heart and believe that everything must have a down side but it appears not in this case.

Cheers,

Ben.

I have a 8x32x56 sightron scope It is a brilliant scope for the money i got a great deal from John at AIM sports give him a ring and see what he can do for you mate ....rem

I have a 8x32x56 sightron scope It is a brilliant scope for the money i got a great deal from John at AIM sports give him a ring and see what he can do for you mate ....rem

I have 2 , a target dot 8-32 x56 and a first focal plane 6-24x50 with MOA reticule and I am very happy with both. The only possible negative for me is they feel quite delicate compared to some , I have an IOR which is built like a tank. That said I don't wrap my stuff in cotton wool and I haven't had any problems.

andy

We have lots of discussions about scopes. We all have different requirements. I've made a list of ten things I look for when choosing a scope and put them in MY order of preference - yours may be different! Yes, optical quality is only no.4 on my list but, even Chinese scopes are becoming 'shootable'. Over the years, I've tried to devise tests for optical quality but, it's very difficult to split the top scopes. Higher contrast can often be mistaken for better resolution.

Accuracy of adjustment (essential for a target shooter)

Reticle choice (fine reticle essential for a target shooter)

Weight (most of my rifles have to comply with a weight limit)

Optical quality (all my scopes – Leupold, March, Sightron, Nightforce - are more than adequate here)

Build-quality (I want to know it won’t let me down if I’m at a competition but I always take a spare to an overseas comp. Three Sightrons for the price of one March?)

Plenty of adjustment (always useful)

Guarantee (when something goes wrong – how long will it be away?)

Ruggedness (well, if I drop any of my scopes I expect them to break so I try to avoid it and I wouldn't risk using a scope with possible damage)

Price (I’ll pay what it costs for a better scope)

Illumination (no use to me)

We have lots of discussions about scopes. We all have different requirements. I've made a list of ten things I look for when choosing a scope and put them in MY order of preference - yours may be different! Yes, optical quality is only no.4 on my list but, even Chinese scopes are becoming 'shootable'. Over the years, I've tried to devise tests for optical quality but, it's very difficult to split the top scopes. Higher contrast can often be mistaken for better resolution.

Accuracy of adjustment (essential for a target shooter)

Reticle choice (fine reticle essential for a target shooter)

Weight (most of my rifles have to comply with a weight limit)

Optical quality (all my scopes Leupold, March, Sightron, Nightforce - are more than adequate here)

Build-quality (I want to know it wont let me down if Im at a competition but I always take a spare to an overseas comp. Three Sightrons for the price of one March?)

Plenty of adjustment (always useful)

Guarantee (when something goes wrong how long will it be away?)

Ruggedness (well, if I drop any of my scopes I expect them to break so I try to avoid it and I wouldn't risk using a scope with possible damage)

Price (Ill pay what it costs for a better scope)

Illumination (no use to me)

+1 on Vince's general points.

I'd add

The right ( range of) magnification for your shooting,pretty near the top.

Different shooting disciplines etc suggest different features-especially magnification (36x-or 45x- fixed is great for 100BR,but not for woodland stalking.)

All the makes mentioned,and some others,will be well up to optical requirements-if you can't actually see well enough through a B&D, NF etc,in reasonable daylight,you need an opthalmologist,not an expensive scope brand upgrade.

It would be very helpful ,and more immediately informative,if members when asking and offering advice, outlined their shooting requirements and experiences,respectvely-it's an issue of relevant applications,not absolutes per se......a bit like matching cartridges/rifles to be used for quite different purposes.

Gbal

I see where you are coming from with this gbal and you are right it is horse for courses so to speak. I would point out that I had not asked for a suggestion on a scope but just a general feel for the sightron scopes as a whole with a view to getting an S-tac.

I require the scope to be primarily for fox control and long range varminting on a .243 I have been drawn to the S-tac for a few reasons mainly that I have heard good things about the sightron scopes and they are very attractivly priced and have been told on a couple of occasions they are cheap for what you get. I wanted the 56mm objective for the light gathering. It has a 2.5-17.5 mag range so good for close range deer etc and enough for long range also. Also I have been told that the tracking is spot on (Comments?) all in all I think that this is going to fit the bill very well but am always intrested to hear from people who have first hand knowledge. I hope that this better outlines my needs from this scope.

what mag would you guys be looking to shoot on at say 600yds then? I have been using 12x

Thanks,

Ben

I see where you are coming from with this gbal and you are right it is horse for courses so to speak. I would point out that I had not asked for a suggestion on a scope but just a general feel for the sightron scopes as a whole with a view to getting an S-tac.

I require the scope to be primarily for fox control and long range varminting on a .243 I have been drawn to the S-tac for a few reasons mainly that I have heard good things about the sightron scopes and they are very attractivly priced and have been told on a couple of occasions they are cheap for what you get. I wanted the 56mm objective for the light gathering. It has a 2.5-17.5 mag range so good for close range deer etc and enough for long range also. Also I have been told that the tracking is spot on (Comments?) all in all I think that this is going to fit the bill very well but am always intrested to hear from people who have first hand knowledge. I hope that this better outlines my needs from this scope.

what mag would you guys be looking to shoot on at say 600yds then? I have been using 12x

Thanks,

Ben

OK ,Ben- 600y is quite a long way-12x will do,but I'd not want less than 18x and would prefer more-30x isn't too much (a variable of course gives flexibility)...and the smaller the target,the more the x ...you have to see it,and not obscure much of it with the reticule.Many get by with less,but once higher x is tried,few want to give it up. It's enlightening to put out small targets-approx size to what you hope to hit-and just look at them with variable magnification...I'd want to put the aiming mark on chosen parts of a tin can,not just cover it in a general way (I would not expect that alone to be enough to hit that part,of course,or the tin can every shot in wind.!)

You should be on good ground with a Sightron 111,or the new ones if you like them.They do seem cost effective with an informed and enthusiastic following,across several shooting disciplines-no bad thing to have some flexibility,in overall useage as well as magnification.If it does not suit you,or you want to upgrade,it should be very sellable too! A good choice.Remember too it's what's inside,not nominal sizes on the outside-but Sightron does fine on the internals too!

Gbal

Hi Gbal,

I need some decent weather to get out and test what mag I need to do the job. I have a Millett Lrs with 5-25x on it which I nearly always shoot on 8x beacause I shoot foxes on 8x and normally forget to change it. I want to see if the 18x (which is max mag on the S-tac) will be enough for me to use on my ground. I have hillsides in wales to shoot over and will easily stretch out to beyond 1000yds but that is some serious practice away if i EVER even get there. I am not target shooting for groups it will be rabbits and crows etc that will be getting my attention so ot tiny targets. I will have a play and see whats what.

Cheers guys,

Ben.

18x should be plenty mate,just got a sightron myself and did think about the stac but went for the 8x32 in the end as you can always turn it down.had it two weeks and finally mounted it at the weekend and it looks every bit as good as the nf i have

Ben,that's what to do-

and as Pork Chop says,better to have the extra mag and wind down...you won't be wanting to wind down at 1000y,believe me....and get an idea of wind drift ...150 inches,ball park ,10 mph,your wind reading has to be exceptional to guage that,all that way out,as it will vary.At least you mention lots of practice....get lots of x too (32 is often as much as can be used-either its too dull,or in bright sun,mirage is a problem!)1000y is really pushing the standard twist/sub 100g bullets beyond their comfort zone-I like the cartridge but its not as good as ,say 260..in that general class,but that is for the future,and it's all pie in the sky until wind is tamed!

Gbal

I don't do anything remotely like what you guys call long range but decided to go for S-Tac as I sat and asked my self realistically for what I'm doing 17.5x is more than enough & ballistic turrets there if I do decide to try wee but further out etc and again realistically that mag would do I think for the meager ranges I would be trying anyway

Can't wait till it arrives good review on YouTube from some Russell uttings I think his name was

21 mins or so vid

Paul

Archived