AI 308, Sako Quad & TET Unimount - Very reluctant sale

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al, sorry to hear about your problems..... Pork chop just told me, I've been in shed all day reloading. You probably should have put a moderator on your rifle, it might have helped. That's what me and pork chop do when we shooting on certain land with horses on. Don't pack in because of one knock back, there is always catton and Diggle to shoot at. It will be a shame to lose a good mate as me and pork chop have only just got to know you. All the best .... Paul

I had heard people say that Diggle is very clicky, well its far from it I have been there twice now for the practical rifle, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. This was my first time taking part in a Practical Rifle match and they took the time to explain everything to me. I really enjoyed the whole day and would recomend it to anyone.

Steve

Thanks everyone for all the advise and reassurance, I think I'm going to try and get to Diggle next Sunday and see what it's all about.

Hopefully try and work out some new land too.. And figure out how to convince some less than supportive family members!

People have mentioned to me in the past that Diggle is very clicky but I've never seen or felt that in the last 3 or 4 years I've been a member.

IMO it is also probably one of the best clubs in the North of England for the comps you can shoot and the knowledge you pick up.

Hi alijnclarke

Diggle is a great club, if you are coming up on Sunday there is a 900 yard fclass shoot so the range gate will close as long range in use at about 1030 and then will open at about lunch time (1230 ish). It will then close for a similar period in the afternoon.

Hi alijnclarke

Diggle is a great club, if you are coming up on Sunday there is a 900 yard fclass shoot so the range gate will close as long range in use at about 1030 and then will open at about lunch time (1230 ish). It will then close for a similar period in the afternoon.

Thanks guys, i was hoping to be able to get to Diggle this weekend (100% decided to keep the rifle now).. but i'm having a few loading issues, so don't think i'll have one worked up in time.. Hopefully for next week though.

Mods you're more than welcome to close / delete this thread, now i've changed my mind on the sale :P

Been there and sold up at one point but retained my ticket by sharing a friends rifles. Things eventually sorted themselves out and I now have some decent ground for vermin and free stalking.

Point I am trying to make is that you seem passionate about your sport and would seriously regret letting your kit go.

I met you a few weeks ago at Catton and you seemed happy, so don' t let others drag you down like I did, things will get better and the more people you at Diggle etc, the more you will enjoy our chosen sport.

Deerless

Al, you have a great little range and club on your doorstep. Pm me your contact details and we can have a chat.

Local club has a probation period but you can use your own rifle just with supervision on the firing point.

Al, you have a great little range and club on your doorstep. Pm me your contact details and we can have a chat.

Local club has a probation period but you can use your own rifle just with supervision on the firing point.

That sounds great! I was aware of one fairly close, but was told i could only use rimfire until probation was up. I'll PM you now

• 2 weeks later...

Pick your comps from the calendar Ali. I would suggest mcqueens, tactical or if you want to get some serious Lead off, CSR next saturday. I wont be there unfortunately as I,m on holiday, but if you fancy a go at that, let me know and i,ll arrange it.

These are very easy going, simple comps that would suit your gun perfectly.

Try a couple and then perhaps have a look at the many bench rest days at different ranges.

Contact Vince [ the gun pimp on here ] He will be more than happy to help you.

A guest pays £15 per visit and the comp fee which is usually a couple of quid. You are allowed to make a few visits like this per year to give you a taste of different comps/disciplines.

Hi there Dave,

Can you shoot bench rest at various distances as a guest at Diggle during the week, or is it only on comp days at the weekend?

I would like the opportunity to practice at various distances before trying my hand at the comps.

Cheers. Paul

Hi there Dave,

Can you shoot bench rest at various distances as a guest at Diggle during the week, or is it only on comp days at the weekend?

I would like the opportunity to practice at various distances before trying my hand at the comps.

Cheers. Paul

Don't worry about the comp side of it. Everybody helps each other to get on the paper and shoot.

I don't even remember doing anything probation wise at Diggle, I just joined with my FAC although mainly a field shooter I had another club membership from the past so maybe that was why, I don't remember it ever being mentioned though. The only time at Diggle where someone MIGHT IMAGINE it is cliquey is that different disciplines attract their own `crowd` and sometimes you seem to meet large groups of shooters from another discipline who all seem to know each other and not you but that's just because you haven't met them before, your own chosen disciplines have never overlapped in the past? They are all more than welcoming though as each likes to keep it's participation level high. Once you get to know the different disciplines you can pick and choose which you want to do and when, the calendar is rigidly enforced and other than weather, I have yet to arrive and be let down on an organised day. JOIN though, it will help being a member at FAC renewal time.

Hey,

I'm keeping the AI but thanks for the interest.

I'm going to go up to Diggle to have a go at McQueens and hopefully see Vince about joining.

Cheers for all the info / advice, top notch as usual

Ali

Thats my opinion too, seems mad!

I think I'm going to head down to Diggle next weekend and see how it all works, the only thing thats put me off there is it seems a little 'formal'? I've had no training or anything and would embarrass myself at any competition!

I wish the law / guidelines were more supportive of people who own rifles for sporting reasons, having to go through probationary periods does seem a bit mad. Totally understand it if the person doesn't have an FAC due to security and checks, but when they do?...

Diggle - formal!! I've heard some things said about Diggle but anyone who shoots there will surely tell you otherwise.

Please come along by all means - I'm membership sec so I can show you round and have a natter.

On Saturday, we have a 1000 yard F Class shoot which you are more than welcome to take part in - be there for 10.00am and bring 22 rounds. What could be simpler?

On Sunday, we have a mini-rifle shoot which again, you are welcome to join in.

E-mail me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com if you want any more info.

if you do come to diggle you have to wear a shirt and tie and carry a copy of the bible.not swear, spit.smoke slate your fellow shooters-take the p**s and be gratious in defeat.

thats why im banned!

Hi there Dave,

Cheers. Paul

Paul,

In theory, the ranges are open seven days a week. BUT, the main shooting days are weekends. There are properly organised comps every weekend - see our calendar - www.diggleranges.com

During the week, the ranges are sometimes hired to various commercial organisations so you can't just rock up and expect to plink at 1000 yards - but, it is possible.

First, you need to become a member, find out how things work.

With a membership of over 300 and 10 different disciplines on offer, competitions are the way we organise shooting and range time. In other words, look at the calendar and you know exactly what's happening on that particular day, how many rounds you will need and what distance you will shoot.

Our comps are good fun and we always have shooters at all levels taking part. We currently have about 20 probationers and we encourage them to shoot in comps before they get 'frightened' so, there are always beginners on the point. You learn so much shooting in comps - everyone has to start somewhere.

okay....many thanks. Just that I am in the process of ordering from AI and thought i'd save a bit. Let me know if things do not work out as order will be finalised in about 2/3 weeks. best regards

okay....many thanks. Just that I am in the process of ordering from AI and thought i'd save a bit. Let me know if things do not work out as order will be finalised in about 2/3 weeks. best regards

Archived