AI 308, Sako Quad & TET Unimount - Very reluctant sale

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to see you're thinking of selling the AI. I'm sure you've thought long and hard about this already, but would it be worth hanging on to it a bit longer to see how you feel then?

Completely, I'm certainly not rushing into selling it and I would not let it go before the muzzle brake came, which is supposed to be a few weeks.

Hopefully by then, if anything is going to improve it will have and if not, then i will have to let her go as i can't let a rifle like this just sit in the cabinet.

I wish it was as simple as just joining a club to shoot, but it seems that if i do that i'd have to wait unto 6 months before i can use it there.

You can shoot at Diggle as a guest, and I think its only a three months probation, but Vince would tell you all you need to know.

You wont find a club in the land that will simply just let you join, all of them have probation periods.

You can shoot at Diggle as a guest, and I think its only a three months probation, but Vince would tell you all you need to know.

You wont find a club in the land that will simply just let you join, all of them have probation periods.

I'm not a club shooter, but 'blimey' - even to people who have FACs and rifles already? To the extent of not letting them use rifles they already own?

I dont know of any club around me that doesn,t have a probationary period Matt even for FAC holders. I think its Home office regulations.

I,m a member of 3 different ones and was a member at two more, and all had a probationary period.

I'm not a club shooter, but 'blimey' - even to people who have FACs and rifles already? To the extent of not letting them use rifles they already own?

Thats my opinion too, seems mad!

I think I'm going to head down to Diggle next weekend and see how it all works, the only thing thats put me off there is it seems a little 'formal'? I've had no training or anything and would embarrass myself at any competition!

I wish the law / guidelines were more supportive of people who own rifles for sporting reasons, having to go through probationary periods does seem a bit mad. Totally understand it if the person doesn't have an FAC due to security and checks, but when they do?...

I dont know of any club around me that doesn,t have a probationary period Matt even for FAC holders. I think its Home office regulations.

I,m a member of 3 different ones and was a member at two more, and all had a probationary period.

Ah OK.

(and you're not allowed to use your own rifles whilst 'probationary'? That seems odd! :)

I've had no training or anything

That'll be the reason for probation then :)

(I'm one of the unfashionable few that thinks firearms safety training should be mandatory before issue of a license to buy and use lethal instruments and remain ever-stunned that it isn't. :) )

Have a look at www.safeshot.org.uk if you fancy being up-skilled in a structured way by formally trained and qualified police or military individuals :)

I have heard that said before ie there,s a click at Diggle or like you its a little formal you will not find a club with a more friendly and easy going bunch of fellows they come from miles around to shoot at Diggle great club get yourselve up there and see

Ah OK.

(and you're not allowed to use your own rifles whilst 'probationary'? That seems odd! :)

That'll be the reason for probation then :)

see www.safeshot.org.uk

Training wise i mean for specific target shooting, I'm perfectly confidant in my own shooting ability out in the field. Just wouldn't want to go head first into a competition style event without any pervious practise / instruction about that discipline :)

Diggle isn't formal buddy, its the friendliest club I,ve ever used.People just want you to have a good time. Come along and you will willingly be shown the ropes.

Having spent countless thousands of hours on ranges allover, i can honestly say the probation system is an absolute must. The very worst shooters from a safety point of view are almost always field shooters who have never been on a range before. Most are shown the correct safe methods for shooting with other people, and accept them willingly, but you do get the odd one who thinks he knows best and endangers everyone else around him, and wont be told. This is the type of shooter the probation period is aimed at.

Keep hold of your new gun and come along any weekend, you will be made most welcome. :)

No, you can use your own guns whilst a probationer at Diggle Matt. Another club I'm a member of [ Mattersey ] has stricter rules though.

Diggle isn't formal buddy, its the friendliest club I,ve ever used.People just want you to have a good time. Come along and you will willingly be shown the ropes.

Having spent countless thousands of hours on ranges allover, i can honestly say the probation system is an absolute must. The very worst shooters from a safety point of view are almost always field shooters who have never been on a range before. Most are shown the correct safe methods for shooting with other people, and accept them willingly, but you do get the odd one who thinks he knows best and endangers everyone else around him, and wont be told. This is the type of shooter the probation period is aimed at.

Keep hold of your new gun and come along any weekend, you will be made most welcome. :)

Thanks Dave that's massively appreciated, it's just heart breaking to have to leave her in the cabinet for (what will likely be most of the 6 months). I was up at diggle a while ago to swap a drag bag and everyone did seem very nice & helpful. Maybe it's just me being shy and I'm sure the probation period would help me to pick up the basics.

No, you can use your own guns whilst a probationer at Diggle Matt. Another club I'm a member of [ Mattersey ] has stricter rules though.

This I didn't know!!! Off to diggle i go..

Makes total sense.

This I didn't know!!! Off to diggle i go..

Bottom lip off floor and no longer selling rifles? :) :)

Pick your comps from the calendar Ali. I would suggest mcqueens, tactical or if you want to get some serious Lead off, CSR next saturday. I wont be there unfortunately as I,m on holiday, but if you fancy a go at that, let me know and i,ll arrange it.

These are very easy going, simple comps that would suit your gun perfectly.

Try a couple and then perhaps have a look at the many bench rest days at different ranges.

Contact Vince [ the gun pimp on here ] He will be more than happy to help you.

A guest pays £15 per visit and the comp fee which is usually a couple of quid. You are allowed to make a few visits like this per year to give you a taste of different comps/disciplines.

Makes total sense.

Bottom lip off floor and no longer selling rifles? :) :)

Looks like that! Diggle isn't far and not having to wait makes it all the better, thanks for all the great advice as per :D

Hi Alijnclake

I felt like that when I went to Bisley years ago.

Its surprising how when you get your gun out and try to get some good groups people will come and talk to you about what your doing.

Its not them being nosey its there way of introducing them self's to you.

If they don't. Go to them and ask questions

Before you know it you will be talking more than you are shooting.

Yes they seem a clickey bunch but there not when you get to know them.

Had a lot of help from shooters I've never met before.

Shame to let your very nice guns go.

Good luck with it all

Viv

Pick your comps from the calendar Ali. I would suggest mcqueens, tactical or if you want to get some serious Lead off, CSR next saturday. I wont be there unfortunately as I,m on holiday, but if you fancy a go at that, let me know and i,ll arrange it.

These are very easy going, simple comps that would suit your gun perfectly.

Try a couple and then perhaps have a look at the many bench rest days at different ranges.

Contact Vince [ the gun pimp on here ] He will be more than happy to help you.

A guest pays £15 per visit and the comp fee which is usually a couple of quid. You are allowed to make a few visits like this per year to give you a taste of different comps/disciplines.

Would love to go next week, but haven't got any rounds made up at the moment.. Had a quick look at the calendar and the tactical event on the 20th seems like a good one to go to. I'll PM vince and ask if that would be a suitable time to speak to him about membership.

P.s Dave i'm still waiting for that 223 I inboxed you about to come back from repair, soon as it does i'll bring it over to you

Hi Alijnclake

I felt like that when I went to Bisley years ago.

Its surprising how when you get your gun out and try to get some good groups people will come and talk to you about what your doing.

Its not them being nosey its there way of introducing them self's to you.

If they don't. Go to them and ask questions

Before you know it you will be talking more than you are shooting.

Yes they seem a clickey bunch but there not when you get to know them.

Had a lot of help from shooters I've never met before.

Shame to let your very nice guns go.

Good luck with it all

Viv

Thanks, i got the impression they were a friendly and chatty bunch when i was there briefly, it was just me thinking that it was very formal that's kept me away upto now..

I tried to message the gun pimp but apparently his pm's are full, hopefully he'll empty them soon :)

Ali give us a shout if you want some company and we'll have a go at the McQueens.it is a three month probation and you can use your own gear.like i said to you don't let them grind you down.no need to pack up over a few bloody horses

Ali give us a shout if you want some company and we'll have a go at the McQueens.it is a three month probation and you can use your own gear.like i said to you don't let them grind you down.no need to pack up over a few bloody horses

Next McQueens seems to be the 11th of May, could try that one?

Horses, walkers, family members... urgh <_<

Archived