1st time bivi user ....tips?

sauer

Hi folks

Just bought myself a snugpak stratosphere bivi

Planning on odd night out with a fire & some pork chops or venison burgers & couple o beers or camp made cuppy, & hopefully my fly rod & get the odd fish on the fire.

Never used a bivi before so forgive stupid questions but will I need a separate sleeping bag or just in the bivi fully kitted up.

I know but I've no bushcraft experience other than as a teenager with an Argos tent + car boot full o beer n lying by fire with baked tatties & trying to get girlfriends drawers aff!

Paul

You'll need a sleeping mat (I recommend Therm-a-rest) and a sleeping bag! If you can carry it a tarp can make things comfortable too - a bivvy bag is just for sleeping really, great pieces of kit (I have 3) but don't have the flexibilty of a tent if the weather is bad.

If your sleeping in your clothes then a summer bag might be OK, thermal rest good but expensive, cheap army surplus mats are OK.

Dont zip it up fully, leave a couple of cm gap, keeps the c02 and condensation down inside the bivi.

Has one of these a while back, and not bad, OK for lowland use, s hit in the mountains with heavy rain though.

Enjoy a night under the stars.

I have one which I've used once or twice for "bikepacking".

I'd recommend a Therm-a-Rest self-inflating mattress also. Another firm called Alpkit make a slightly cheaper mattress IIRC.

Lay off too much ale before you get snuggled down, or immediately after the last zip is done up your bladder will force you out into the cold night air again...

Depending on roominess and whether it's a hooped unit, you can experience a bit of claustrophobia, as the bivi material seems to brush your nose all night.

Don't forget that you'll also need somewhere waterproof to:

1. Store your boots, extra kit, clothes etc., and;

2. To stand on in order to get dressed again the following morning.

maximus otter

• 3 weeks later...

I've use a bivi loads and as said above used with a tarp and mat they're good. Bivis are made to keep you dry only, not your kit.

DSC00018.jpg

b ugger carrying paddles everywhere , what a pain in the butt !

Archived