+1 for the Magnetospeeds:tested most consistent/accurate and streets ahead in user convenience.

Gbal

After lots of faffing around last year, Gary sorted me out with one of these. I believe a new version is imminent. I trialed mine in the dining room to work out how it all fitted together. Tried it on a damp grey morning and had five shots and five velocities and a good group without any hassle. It was the kind of morning that the Alpha Chrono would just not have performed on.

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/index.php/march-accessories/magnetospeed-chronograph

Don't hesitate or deviate, get one.

Regards

JCS

I don't own a chrono (yet) but I've used the standard type. They get shot pretty easily!! The accoustic ones seem to give poor reading if not set up 100% and the magneto are just simple to use and they're in my opinion the best

Can't get onto the March website for some reason. What sort of money are they?

Anyone used the acoustic chrono?

Cheers

Danny.

March site gives V1 at £252,V2 can also be used with suppressor in place,£343;and V3has same chrono bits,but 'improved, wrt V1/V2' fittings/similar £375.V1 seems worth the extra compared to most other chronos.....unless you like crawling about in front of rifles with screens,that may not work anyhow in poorer weather conditions....!!

Gbal

I also have a acoustic chrono which i found to give bad readings even when set up correct why i don't know was working well now is not,i also have a few other diff model chrono's, then i recently bought the magnetospeed chrono, and i am well made up with it far easier to carry and set up than the usual types, well worth the spend.

Magnetospeed it is then. Quite a big jump in price between the V1 & V2 , the only difference I can see is the V2 can be fitted to a mod!

Thanks all for the advice.

Cheers

Danny.

I had loads of problems with the Competitive Edge Dynamics M2 - errors readings, inconsistent too, so no solution found. Manufacturer swore it was OK after return to them for testing. Same issues on re-using after return to me.

Thinking it was me, I bought another second hand unit to switch parts and see where I was going wrong. I had the same problems. I contacted the vendor, who admitted to having had the same problems and thought it was him! I returned the second hand unit with full refund. The vendor was going to send his back to the CED and tell them what they could do with it!. I've sold all parts that I know to have worked (with no come back) but not the computer/console.

Others at a club I shoot with researched it, amongst others, when buying a chrono for the club. They found others had had problems with the CED M2 so went for another brand.

I wouldn't touch CED with the proverbial barge pole.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that the Steinert SuperChrono is best for doing BC measurements. I have used an Oehler for many years and setting that one up at even just 200m was risky if there was a bit of wind. With the 5 foot high and 3 foot wide window of the Steinert, it is a breeze, even further out.

I'm the guy who Al perfector mentioned & have ended up with a Magnetospeed V2. I've put around 200 shots through it with no problem whatsoever - excellent bit of kit.

Hi Al hope you resolved your chrono problems, haven't heard back from CED. The console off the u/s CED makes a great door stop

I find that the Steinert SuperChrono is best for doing BC measurements. I have used an Oehler for many years and setting that one up at even just 200m was risky if there was a bit of wind. With the 5 foot high and 3 foot wide window of the Steinert, it is a breeze, even further out.

I've just ordered on of these having read various excellent reviews. This will be my third chronograph over a twenty-six year period, the first being a rather temperamental IR set-up which I then replaced with a British-built instrument of the sky-screen type which several times was incapacitated by shot sky-screens, so the new Steinert chrono seems to be ideal, especially being able to set it up below a target for example to record distant readings.

G'day all,

I have got the v1 model magneto speed. Wonderful piece of gear and accurate. I put this up against my Oehler 35p and the results pretty much mimicked the results shown in the link below, as in FPS variation. The rifle I was using was in 308. Had approx. 12 to 15 fps variation between the magneto speed and the Oehler. The magneto speed was showing higher readings than the Oehler.

Oehler was twelve feet from the muzzle.

Hope this helps

http://www.longrangeonly.com/showthread.php?144-Review-Comparison-Oehler-35-Magneto-Speed-and-Super-Chrono

G'day all,

I have got the v1 model magneto speed. Wonderful piece of gear and accurate. I put this up against my Oehler 35p and the results pretty much mimicked the results shown in the link below, as in FPS variation. The rifle I was using was in 308. Had approx. 12 to 15 fps variation between the magneto speed and the Oehler. The magneto speed was showing higher readings than the Oehler.

Oehler was twelve feet from the muzzle.

Hope this helps

http://www.longrangeonly.com/showthread.php?144-Review-Comparison-Oehler-35-Magneto-Speed-and-Super-Chrono

aam,

pretty much replicates the US tests. A 308 will lose at least 200fps by 100y, though not at a uniform rate-even so 12 feet is 4yards which is 1/25th of that distance....so a bit less than 8fps....which is pretty close agreement! Reassuring!

Gbal

Archived