6.5x47 Dies

Ronin

Guys

I await delivery of a reamer for my planned 6.5x47 Lapua build, once that arrives I will make the rifle.

However, I have been looking around for dies sets and to my surprise, I have not been able to source a comp neck or F/L BUSHING die for 6.5x47 from the usual companies.

My reamer has been specced with .290" nk for a slight clean up of the neck, so I need bushing dies.

I have ordered a Forster BR seater in 6.5x47 and a 6mmx47 bushing (bump) die from Forster as it is the same parent case as the 6.5mm version (with the appropriate bushings for the larger case neck)

I could get some NJ die blanks (or make them myself from a stainless barrel) but I would need a different reamer and then the costs start to escalate with time etc......

I wonder if anyone else using this calibre has encountered similar problems for die sets with this calibre?

Hi Ronin , Yes Sinclair for a F/L 'S' type . My 6.5x47 is the only rifle that i have with ' no turn neck ' and this was done so i could shoot factory rounds if the need arised . I've never regreted that as standard 123g factory will hold 0.5 moa under ' field ' conditions and i found by pulling the bullet a further 30 thou out of the case it gave a consistant 0.3 moa .

I have found that the standard factory load which is 36.2g of N150 gave me 2,740 ft/sec as opposed to the 2,890 ft/sec which Lapua claim . I assume its partly down to my Krieger being a little larger bore etc .

I settled on 37g of N150 which gives me 2,780 ft/sec and although it could be pushed harder the rifle is used as a training / general purpose field gun and its very consistant at that velocity .

For anyone thinking of a 6.5x47 Lapua then don't do as i did and buy 300 case's and 100 factory rounds , just buy all factory and enjoy shooting the rifle and re-use the cases afterwards as the loaded factory are that good !

My AI was chambered by Callum using both short and long reamers for my headspace , since then he has had another made .

Hope this maybe of help to someone thinking of this round .

rgards

OSOK

Cheers for the replies lads.

I looked for a Redding comp s die set but didnt see the basic F/L S die.

The Forster bump die should do the same job as they are similar quality to Redding - I just couldnt get my head around the fact that this case is so popular and there were no Comp dies available for it.

Anyway the Forster seater has micrometer top and the size die has interchangeable bushings so I think I will be ok.

Thanks for load advice.

My reamer is throated for 123g Scenars.

OSOK - could you advise on loaded round diameter at the neck, just wondered what the standard factory load is?

My 6.5x47 Lapua is a no neck turn chamber.

My loaded rounds run at .292 neck.

My rifle is throated for bullets in the 120 grain range.

My most accurate load is

36gns N135 CCI 450 primer Berger 120gn BTHPM bullet seated 10 thou into the rifling.

This gives an average velocity of 2855 fps with single figure SD and ES out of a 26" Border archer barrel.

Cheers and good luck with your build.

Dave

Dave thanks for that:

Ive just measured a mock "loaded" round with some un-prepped cases I have = average .291"at the nk.

So its going to be a very light clean up turn only as I will be aiming for a .288" loaded diameter which will give a .001" clearance all round the chamber neck.

The reamer should be sent this week, looking forwards to this one :D

Cheers Chris

I am afraid I am still in the stone age mate with 7/8thsx14 dies.

It would cost me a fortune to change all my kit over to hand dies :D

andy, you have pm.

Thanks guys

have specced the forster dies and will see how they do,

Archived