Importing a rifle from the USA.

I was shooting with Les a few weeks back, and that is one beautiful gun, i was next to him on the line, and got a good look at it, and chat. Very nice indeed.

• 3 months later...

I couldn't find the article, either, but I doubt if he did much more than slip through a loop-hole someplace. There would need to be a dealer and customs involvement on this end unless the rifle was his to begin with and he shipped it here for service, then he might have gotten away from going through the Import/Customs routing. In the US it is legal for a private citizen to ship his rifle to a Federally licensed gunsmith for repair and have it returned to them directly. How that floats on your end, I do not know, but it's conceivable that UPS could deliver a rifle, the modification done to the action (the only part of a rifle actually considered a firearm by law) such as rebarreling and restocking, and the gun returned directly to the owner. This is legal here because the rifle is going from the owner to a Federal agent and then returned without being possessed by a third party.

If it was a new rifle purchased here, there was a glitch someplace. They just can't go missing without someone at the Bureau of Alchohol, Tobacco, & Firearms raising hell. ~Andrew

I know Les, and shot next to him fairly recently, when he was getting to grips with this gun. It is a truly beautiful rifle...a work of art.I didn,t go into the why,s and wherefors of the import of it, but i would say it had an easy ride, and he was lucky. The americans and our dti make the rules up as they go along, and it depends if they are having a bad day or not. We have a consignment of barrels, etc [$10,000 worth] sat on the docks in America, its been there almost three years now...we,ve had to write it off, as absolutely NO ONE wants to know. We had a batch of ultimate sniper and varmint stocks [synthetic] held for 18 months, because some muppet had put "wooden stocks" on the export docket, and our license didn,t say "wooden". There,s plenty of wood over there, their bloody heads are made out it.

Hi Baldie

A few years ago my mate was importing a particular make of rifle which at the time did not have a UK importer. He had a shipment stopped by UK customs because the Americans had not completed the paper work correctly. The customs gave him 3 months to sort it or they were destroying the whole lot. The problem he had was US side just were not interested, they had there money so there were incentive for them. He got it sorted with a week and a half left of the customs dead line. He would of lost £15,000 if it had not turned out OK.

After that he said jam doughnut it is not worth the risk if that kind of thing happened again so stopped importing rifles from the US.

Best Rgds

B-b

Archived