Accuracy International, Six Sigma and the New Rifles

brown dog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first picture I think I can see early elements of the AW.........?

I don't remember seeing it in the Small Arms Museum at Warminster, but that's where it looks like its housed, judging by the identity labels.

Edited to add: Unless of course you have been to Pompey recently?? :)

Yup, a few of you have got it.

The first pic is of one of the prototype forerunners of the L96 designed and built by Dave Walls and Dave Caig (and not, as I learnt today, by Malcolm Cooper).

I spent today with Tom Irwin and Dave Walls (Dave left, Tom right) the Directors of AI, and was pretty impressed by what a friendly team they've created and the massive improvements since my last visit (about 16 years ago!). I'll post a bunch of pics of what I saw over the next few days.

P1010080_zps5ddfe8e1.jpg

Here I am trying to soar like an eagle, and I'm surrounded by...Scotch and Bradders

:rolleyes::lol:

Scotch, book yourself on an E&D requal, I think it may have lapsed. 'Waist-challenged'. Bradders, well, yeah, 'Bradders' :rolleyes::lol::)

My next question to those (and I was one of them) absolutely unable to find 10 round AICS mags on the market.

There's no valid reason for that difficulty from a production angle. Hazard a guess at AI's yearly magazine production.......answer below the photos

Steel strip being stamped

Mag1_zpsbf66fe02.jpg

Being pressed into a magazine

Mag2_zpsdd82b6bd.jpg

Mag3_zps087d99f0.jpg

Mag4_zpsc7bd775d.jpg

Mag5_zps43d8e42b.jpg

and

Mag6_zps0e0373da.jpg

Mag7_zps0b6816e0.jpg

Process rationalisation over the last few years has led to magazine production doubling over the last year from 24,000 to 48,000. 48,000!

The same thinking (at a six sigma / aerospace engineering level of thinking is what's led to the AT etc; more to follow..)

Here I am trying to soar like an eagle, and I'm surrounded by...Scotch and Bradders

:rolleyes::lol:

Scotch, book yourself on an E&D requal, I think it may have lapsed. 'Waist-challenged'. Bradders, well, yeah, 'Bradders' :rolleyes::lol::)

My next question to those (and I was one of them) absolutely unable to find 10 round AICS mags on the market.

There's no valid reason for that difficulty from a production angle.

Hazard a guess at AI's yearly magazine production.......answer below the photos (that I'll post in a moment)

I bet that was a good day out!

In .223 I reckon about 10k a year. Overall 30k total production?

Jagged, Apols, I added to the post whilst you were posting:

There's no valid reason for that difficulty from a production angle. Hazard a guess at AI's yearly magazine production.......answer below the photos

Steel strip being stamped

Mag1_zpsbf66fe02.jpg

Being pressed into a magazine

Mag2_zpsdd82b6bd.jpg

Mag3_zps087d99f0.jpg

Mag4_zpsc7bd775d.jpg

Mag5_zps43d8e42b.jpg

and

Mag6_zps0e0373da.jpg

Mag7_zps0b6816e0.jpg

Process rationalisation over the last few years has led to magazine production doubling over the last year from 24,000 to 48,000. 48,000!

The same thinking (at a six sigma / aerospace engineering level of thinking is what's led to the AT etc; more to follow..)

Matt, 48000 production is one thing,48000 sold on satisfied customer contract is another.From the perspective of the victim of unattainable consumer nirvana,Sigma Six is of little comfort.

Kanban...?

Gbal(pink belt)

Matt, 48000 production is one thing,48000 sold on satisfied customer contract is another.From the perspective of the victim of unattainable consumer nirvana,Sigma Six is of little comfort.

Kanban...?

Gbal(pink belt)

I think a reasonable deduction may be that the choke point on getting mitts on them ain't a factory-based lack of production. ... you'll have to make the deduction on where it may lie, if it exists, yourself. :)

I think a reasonable deduction is that the choke point on getting mitts on them ain't a factory-based lack of production. ... you'll have to make the deduction on where it lies yourself, I shan't spell it out. :)

40,000 infantry,zero inventory

This is but one possible hypothesis-there is a human conflict going on!

Of course,the logistic supply line involves people,and Sigma Six isn't so useful then....i.e. there may be boxes of the opportunities lying around somewhere between production and potential customers...but there probably is no short cut (Hodgdon 4831) either !

Perhaps we need "distribution free" statistical/analytic tools....,though I daresay,many of us would be willing to pay for shipping.:-)

Gbal (yellow belt).

brown dog,

Thank you for posting those pics and looking forward to more. I love AI rifles and learning more and more about them. Especially the history and how they evolved to what they are now. Including their target models.

I think I'm obsessed with the rifles. ( Is this normal?) :wub: Will be following this topic.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a Six Sigma?

Archived