.243 87grain hornady

abolter

That and the 87gn hollow point were my favourite round for years on almost all quarry.

I loaded with a federal Mag large rifle primer and 40grs of H380, that never let me down.

Well the bad news is you all use something different!! The good news is I have most of the powders mentionned exept RE15.

The other good news is a few of you use this bullet.

Thanks guys I will try a few and let you know how it goes

N135 in my 6br sends the 87 gr vmax at 3100 fps with great results at range, they are what I used to shoot that roe buck ;)

Gaz

I am not contradicting Gaz at all its a great combination,

But in my .243 I tried N135 and found i get very fast pressure rises so small increments at a time if you try it ( half a grain makes a lot of difference )

Regards

V

Vit 160 is superb it gives good case capacity unlike 140 as that's a tad fast for the 87s.been using it for years in a number of 243s

I've been using 87s with 40gns of H380 for over thirty years to very good effect, I use Federal Mag primers because it gives good clean burn so I reckon I can recommend that load from a very experienced background.

I use N160 (42.5gn) with the 87gn V Max, the Hornady manual says that it doesn't react well to such slow burning powders, and I am getting quite dirty necks. Accuracy is reasonable, but not nearly the same accuracy short range compared to my Berger load. I think I will refine my load in the summertime.

I'd considered swapping to N140, as I'd used with some 80gn Bergers but the manual shows thats a little fast, anyone tried N150?

I'd considered swapping to N140, as I'd used with some 80gn Bergers but the manual shows thats a little fast, anyone tried N150?

Yes, with the 87gn Hornady HPBT Varmint / light deer bullet. I don't remember the charge weight, but it worked very well. N150, and even more so N140, can sometimes prove a bit 'peaky' in this application, so a bit of care is needed as you approach top weights.

my mates rifle shoots 95 gr noslers with 40 grains N150 a dream (1/4" group) but the new load is to suit the 87 grain bullet for reason of availability and cost.

Should have a few examples for you all tomorrow

well I forgot to take any pictures but results were as follows;

Hornady boxed ammo - 3" group!!

H380 - 40 gr - 87 grain hornady bullet - 2.5" group

N150 40 gr - same - 1.5" group

N160 46 gr - same - 4" plus!!!

N540 37gr - same -0.75" group

All with the same rifle, all designed to be within 200fps for speed. Just goes to show how much difference can be made!!

That load sounds high for N160. Although mine were V Max (will this make a difference) I got pressure signs at 43.5 I think.

The accuracy node for them was very very fine, the group closed up for a grain, then opened right back out

Crikey, I have never had such a bad group as the one you found using H380 x 40 with the 87gn bullet in your rifle.

I find H380 to be rather dirty so use a Federal mag primer which gives a clean burn and may effect the ballistics perhaps but if that was the best I could get I'd do some serious thinking before using it again.

I have used that formula in several different .243 rifles over the years and there has been times when that particular primer wasn't available so I have used others for ignition but still never got groups as bad as that ever.

Crikey, I have never had such a bad group as the one you found using H380 x 40 with the 87gn bullet in your rifle.

I find H380 to be rather dirty so use a Federal mag primer which gives a clean burn and may effect the ballistics perhaps but if that was the best I could get I'd do some serious thinking before using it again.

I have used that formula in several different .243 rifles over the years and there has been times when that particular primer wasn't available so I have used others for ignition but still never got groups as bad as that ever.

It is only a Howa rifle and I suspect my friend is not that accurate within himself yet. I have seen this kind of variation in the past in 30-06 with a browning and hornady ammo.

I fully accept that some of these groups would close up with experimentation but I was curious to see if I could get a "quick fix" as I dont really get a kick from reloading.

As regards the N160 it was within the range for the manual and we had no pressure signs in any of the loads. It shows 49000 ftlbs in quickload. But your observation just reiterates how much difference in performance you can get from different rifles

Archived