Best fox calibre?!

Danscott94

+1

223 with appropriate bullets has a margin of lethality that is desirable-not every shot is perfectly placed.

204 Ruger,17 rem are OK,but despite the likely claims of other lesser calibre users,more is generally better than the merely adequate,for the above reason.So there is some choice- 17 HMR isn't one of them,as you have found.Why repeat the lesson?

Gbal

gbal- "17 rem are ok" they are more than that shooting charlie is not rocket science as we all know its all about where we put the pill-i shoot more with my .17 rem than 3 other calibres i use.hit them in the boiler room and its good night -my 20 vmax will give the same result as a 75 vmax from a .243.the only down side as you know to "small"calibres is the wind if its blowing more than i like for the .17 it stays in the cabinet and out comes the .22br or 6x47.i also have a .17fb but thats a walk round bunny gun and if charlie comes out to play it will see to him as well.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would opt for a 243 if I could be I don't think my FAO would grant me one! I'm approaching 20 had my firearms and shotgun licence for 18 month and the land I have permission gets the odd deer and plenty off fox! It would be my gun of choice but I just don't think they will give me one!

If you have deer, and the ok to take the odd one, that's your good reason. Then use it on foxes. Simples, and saves having to have a rabbit gun, fox gun, deer gun, boar gun, target gun....... Ok, maybe not use on boar, but the .243 will do 99% of all your needs.

Stick in a variation for a .243, you have good reason, go for it ;)

SD

I would opt for a 243 if I could be I don't think my FAO would grant me one! I'm approaching 20 had my firearms and shotgun licence for 18 month and the land I have permission gets the odd deer and plenty off fox! It would be my gun of choice but I just don't think they will give me one!

Got my ticket when 18, started with 22lr and 222 then after 2 years went for a 243 no problem. Worth a try, nothing to lose. Get a land owner to write a letter saying you can take the odd deer and you will be fine then.

Gaz

Dan scott....where abouts are you in Cumbria?

Also mate there is no reason whybthey shouldn't grant you any calibre, provided tou give them a justified reason also, they are also meant to be making the restrictions very simple on firearms simple. So for example on my ticket it states....the firearm(s) and ammo shall be used for shooting any lawful quarry suitable for that calibre.

Rang up my firearms they said what you wanting the .260 for I said deer and fox. No probs. Easy.

I live in the Lake District, Keswick, but the majority of my land is out penrith way as my grandma has an farm and land and I shoot the neighbouring land there!

This decision came to put a variation in as I shot a fox on Tuesday after I baited up with my HMR and I just don't feel happy with it I need to know that when I here the hit it's down and not getting up!

17 HMR just doesn't do it for me! But I do like it for smaller vermin ie rabbits, crows, magpies etc....

The 243 would be good as I know there is a range of bullet choices if I ever came to reloading!

Decisions decisions..... ?

I live in the Lake District, Keswick, but the majority of my land is out penrith way as my grandma has an farm and land and I shoot the neighbouring land there!

This decision came to put a variation in as I shot a fox on Tuesday after I baited up with my HMR and I just don't feel happy with it I need to know that when I here the hit it's down and not getting up!

17 HMR just doesn't do it for me! But I do like it for smaller vermin ie rabbits, crows, magpies etc....

The 243 would be good as I know there is a range of bullet choices if I ever came to reloading!

Decisions decisions.....

Dan, I live just outside Penrith if you want a shot (at targets/gongs in daylight) with my t3 in .223 send me a pm and could easily arrange something. Trust me you wont give the hmr another look in as a foxing round.

This is becoming a small world as I am gonna meet up and lamp with happy hunter sometime soon hopefully, so if ya about mate as I used to live nr penrith. Have land not far from there have all over lakes too.

P.s. I bought a CZ 550 in 22-250 I home load and it shoots quarter inch. Cracking round. It was only 300 quid. They are understated rifles IMHO.

CZV

If it helps I know someone who may sell his howa in.223 get ya started. Let me know. It's a good calibre .223, all I would say is consider a cal that will do deer also, 6.5, .260 etc.....

.243 surely - 3" drop at 200yds with a 55gn BT.

Explosive on impact.

.223 is a great calibre but a fair bit slower. Still a great choice if purely a Varminting round.

Out of interest, what did you find lacking with the HMR? It's my go-to calibre for foxing out to 120yds - quiet & cheap compared to centrefire, and doesn't cut them in half like the .243 (I have to clean up after my foxing as landowners get funny). Head shooting mainly though, and HMR's can be a pain in the arse accuracy wise!

Out of interest, what did you find lacking with the HMR? It's my go-to calibre for foxing out to 120yds - quiet & cheap compared to centrefire, and doesn't cut them in half like the .243 (I have to clean up after my foxing as landowners get funny). Head shooting mainly though, and HMR's can be a pain in the arse accuracy wise!

SPOT ON- head shooting foxes out to 120yds-but the hmr can be a pain accuracy wise. :huh:

i gave up with the hmr due to not all went down ----out to 70yds most did but beyond that it was a lottery -not for me

crack on though!

SPOT ON- head shooting foxes out to 120yds-but the hmr can be a pain accuracy wise. :huh:

i gave up with the hmr due to not all went down ----out to 70yds most did but beyond that it was a lottery -not for me

crack on though!

Get your HMR re threaded and re crowned (assuming you've tried everything else!) then give it a good clean and have another go with it - you'll fall in love all over again! ;)

The HMR has been slagged off a lot but the 3 I've had all shot poorly to start with as they are v sensitive to poor thread and crown jobs. Took ages to work out but v happy once I did.

I'm in the south east, happy to demonstrate mine at 120 on a range if you message me... still reckon the .243 is a good option though!

Get your HMR re threaded and re crowned (assuming you've tried everything else!) then give it a good clean and have another go with it - you'll fall in love all over again! ;)

The HMR has been slagged off a lot but the 3 I've had all shot poorly to start with as they are v sensitive to poor thread and crown jobs. Took ages to work out but v happy once I did.

I'm in the south east, happy to demonstrate mine at 120 on a range if you message me... still reckon the .243 is a good option though!

i dont think you got the way i posted -i was questioning your ethics/claims- to head shooting foxes out to 120yds.

as or the rest of my post read it again-the hmr is history mine was an anschutz very accurate but a bunny gun thats all

I have a CZ 550 in 243 which for long enough has been my only fox/deer caliber. I now have a CZ 527 in 222 which is much lighter to carry round.

My advice would be to go for 243 if your just getting one centre fire 58 vmax are flat and fast but I now use 87 vmax they are better in the wind. If your going to get more than one CF then 223 or 222 will fit the bill plenty of second hand rifles about and a good choice of ammo if you don't reload.

There never will be one "Best" calibre some are more suitable most will do the job and some are ok if its what your carrying at the time.

Finding the gun you like/fits you best will go a long way to being best.

Archived