Best fox calibre?!

Danscott94

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After shooting foxes with my 17HMR I have came to the conclusion I need to put a variation in ... The dilemma is I don't know what for!? Do I go 17Hornet or 223! So many calibres!

223 is my personal favourite as my name suggests, I also use a .243 for foxes but there is no real need, with the ..223 you generally see the fox drop and I find it works well with night vision.

You will find lots of opinions and helpful people on this sight.

Good hunting.

+1

223 with appropriate bullets has a margin of lethality that is desirable-not every shot is perfectly placed.

204 Ruger,17 rem are OK,but despite the likely claims of other lesser calibre users,more is generally better than the merely adequate,for the above reason.So there is some choice- 17 HMR isn't one of them,as you have found.Why repeat the lesson?

Gbal

I have a .22-250 and this is a cracking calibre. But it is loud and I have never had a runner with it. Foxes just turn inside out.

Im picking up my .204 tomorrow all going well and cant wait to get it out. I exchanged the 17 hornet for this.

It's all been said really..

I've shot foxes with .204, .223 and .243. .204 does the job, .243 does the job, and then some...

But the .223 is more than enough, and is so versatile. Bar the obvious issues regarding deer...

atb

Jamie

The HMR is perfect for rabbits but IMHO it just doesn't have the power to adequately take a fox down given that I love in cumbria! The weather can be unpredictable and I know that this round is affected by a breeze!

Looks like a 223 it is!!!

Anybody recommend a mid range rifle?

The HMR is perfect for rabbits but IMHO it just doesn't have the power to adequately take a fox down given that I love in cumbria! The weather can be unpredictable and I know that this round is affected by a breeze!

Looks like a 223 it is!!!

Anybody recommend a mid range rifle?

243 is still excellent,as is 6BR.See Accurate Shooter site for more-both are good to 500,and way beyond,with the right barrel twist and bullets.Huge choice of rifle in 243,6BR is very limited off the peg,but a great custom number.If really pushed,I'd go 6BR for its sheer versatility,mild recoil,great accuracy and no fuss long range performance (it's a great short range cartridge too-very accurate).It outshoots the 308 at distance-does not outpower it ,of course-quite remarkable ballistic efficiency.243 is just easy,a classic,still performs very well-better option for the non reloader. 6.5x47and 260 rem are excellent too-just a bit more clout than the 6mms,if you need it. (6.5x47 is scarce as factory option,and is a reloading proposition;260 rem is much more available.)Again ,seeAccurate Shooter site.There are lots of others,but they are 'niche' items mostly.

Gbal

i used a 308 for a few years for all from fox to deer,

now i have just stepped into the world of 6mmbr so ill let you know how it goes when my swimming trunks arrive and i can tread water long enough to get out foxing ;)

a shooting friend has a 222 and it seems to be very very accurate and drops them with ease,RSC

Yep same as most, 223 or even 222 - maybe a bit more accurate , but as long as your shooting them out to 250 max at Night, either would be fine . taking them futher id go 22-250 . Cheers guys

Out of your choices, I'd go .223

I use a .222 mainly, .243 when the wind picks up, and if I'm feeling really destructive, I spread them over the farm with the .444

Though I must say, 7.62 tracer is interesting ;)

pete your a bad bad man.

RSC

now i have just stepped into the world of 6mmbr so ill let you know how it goes when my swimming trunks arrive and i can tread water long enough to get out foxing ;)

a shooting friend has a 222 and it seems to be very very accurate and drops them with ease,RSC

Bob, why dont you mention your 20 tac, i thought that was "the" calibre? Gary

Have to agree I have a .308 for fox and I've never had a runner with it. :D My go to gun is still my .204 though

As has already been said any centre fire caliber will do. As with any live game it's shot placement followed by bullet costruction which kills.

Personally I've taken hundred's of foxes with the .22/250 and 55gr varmint bullets, but I now favour my .243 with a 1:12 twist barrel shooting 70-80 gr bullets. This is my go to gun for fox and deer.

As has already been said any centre fire caliber will do. As with any live game it's shot placement followed by bullet costruction which kills.

Personally I've taken hundred's of foxes with the .22/250 and 55gr varmint bullets, but I now favour my .243 with a 1:12 twist barrel shooting 70-80 gr bullets. This is my go to gun for fox and deer.

1:12" twist ? In .243 ? Sure it's not a 1:10" ?

SD

I would opt for a 243 if I could be I don't think my FAO would grant me one! I'm approaching 20 had my firearms and shotgun licence for 18 month and the land I have permission gets the odd deer and plenty off fox! It would be my gun of choice but I just don't think they will give me one!

Archived