6.5x47 Lapua Build.

Lads.

July last year I went and saw Russell Gall about customising my .223 Rem 700 Tactical. Main plan was to get a new barrel but faster than my factory 1~9. Was looking for 1~6 so i could use the 75gn A-Max. But I hadachange of plan and decided to go for a 6.5x47. Rifle was planned as a deer, fox, vermin and occasional target. After speaking to a couple of lads that shoot this cal and having great results with 140 A-Max's I decided I would also go down this route.

Russell and myself went through opinions and this is what was finalised.

Rem 700 Action Blueprinted

Krieger Light Varmint 1~8 finished at 24" fluted.

PTG Fluted bolt with tactical handle.

Bedded into AICS

AICS Panels hydro dipped in A-Tacs Camo from Hydro Graffix

Stainless OLC moderator specific to 6.5

NightForce NXS 8-32x56 with MOAR Reticle

Barrel and Mod finished in matte black teflon coating

The chamber got reamed out to 2.820 to suit the long 140gn A-Max's, Powder of choice at the moment is Elcho17 as i cant get a hold of H4350 at all. Oncethis powder is available again I will be trying it as the lads seem to get amazing results with this combo along with CCI 450 Primers.

20140125_111424_zps93de1e74.jpg

20140125_130449_zps7edb8a36.jpg

20140125_110749_zps2c8653d2.jpg

20140125_111105_zps4a6a8532.jpg

20140125_123025_zps7f8f72c2.jpg

20140125_110650_zps9737cba0.jpg

th_65x47Lapua3shots_zps41ed7d55.jpg

Craig

love the stock,where did you have it dipped

hydro graffix missed that on first read,just got some fde sides looks like my spares are going for a dip.very similar build i'm having done by baldie

thanks for the kind comments lads.

I also have a set of OD green panels ill keep as spares cos at 1st i wasnt sure about the camo but now it has grown on me a lot so they'll be staying on.

Bolt was sent to Russell Gall, RG Rifles in Aberdeenshire from PTG.

6.5shooter : never thought about IMR4350, i know its different from H4350 but believe the characteristics are similar.

craig

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Craig

Like your rifle especially the stock camouflage and the fluted bolt and tactical bolt handle it's transformed a bog standard remmy. Though nothing wrong with Remingtons, I currently have a .308 XCR compact for reds, and had 2 previously.

I also have a 6mmBR custom built on a single shot BAT action and all the usual bits, jewel trigger, McMillian stock etc. Shoots 1/4 inch all day long.

I am shortly going to be in a position of being able to afford another custom or semi custom rifle, and have decided on a 6.5. Most gunsmiths are stating go for a .260 rem if you want to shoot 140 grain A max as it sits to deep into the 6.5x47 Lapua cases, and stick to the 123 A max if going the Lapua route.

I see the Lapua as a BR case on steroids, so like the benefits of it.

What has your experience been of this, and how have you got on so far with it especially with reds?

Cheers

Bootneck

Thanks for the info and pic.

I my custom rifle was built by peter walker who builds all Gary Costellos rifles.

The info I'm after from people who have 47 Lapuas and might just ring Russell is I'm getting differing views on 47 Lapua, a lot saying stick to 123 A max , the 140's sit to deep into the case and lessen powder capacity.

So .260 rem better for 140's but then you fall foul to the 140's being to long in a box mag unless in a wyatt one!!!

It is for hunting use only so don't need it to shoot to a thousand yards but it's nice and as stated I don't want a massive long barrel re velocities.

I could always just get another single shot BAT action and not have any problems. It's what my 6BR is and never needed a 2 nd shot yet on any deer as so precise and spare ammo is on the cheek piece to throw in.

Anyone else who has any knowledge or views feel free to throw them in.

Just remember hunting use mostly, paper or steel just for confidence building.

Many thanks

Bootneck.

Thanks for the info and pic.

I my custom rifle was built by peter walker who builds all Gary Costellos rifles.

The info I'm after from people who have 47 Lapuas and might just ring Russell is I'm getting differing views on 47 Lapua, a lot saying stick to 123 A max , the 140's sit to deep into the case and lessen powder capacity.

So .260 rem better for 140's but then you fall foul to the 140's being to long in a box mag unless in a wyatt one!!!

It is for hunting use only so don't need it to shoot to a thousand yards but it's nice and as stated I don't want a massive long barrel re velocities.

I could always just get another single shot BAT action and not have any problems. It's what my 6BR is and never needed a 2 nd shot yet on any deer as so precise and spare ammo is on the cheek piece to throw in.

Anyone else who has any knowledge or views feel free to throw them in.

Just remember hunting use mostly, paper or steel just for confidence building.

Many thanks

Bootneck.

Ive got 2 6.5x47's, a 20" and a 26". The 20" started at 24" but i had it cut down to 20" as i got more woodland fallow stalking, accuracy didnt suffer, velocity dropped circa 120 fps.

Ive not shot reds with mine, but have shot fallow bucks (big ish downland boys) and they didnt run far.

Friends, and friends of friends in the south west shoot reds and sika with them in quite large quantaties, and they dont have any problems. They dont try to get too close either, spooks the deer if your not careful.

I think a decent 120/123 gn hunting bullet is all

You need for any uk deer.

Love the 6.5x47l. So much ive got 2!

524AE5DF-CBFD-478E-9844-530DCF405E40_zps

Ive got 2 6.5x47's, a 20" and a 26". The 20" started at 24" but i had it cut down to 20" as i got more woodland fallow stalking, accuracy didnt suffer, velocity dropped circa 120 fps.

Ive not shot reds with mine, but have shot fallow bucks (big ish downland boys) and they didnt run far.

Friends, and friends of friends in the south west shoot reds and sika with them in quite large quantaties, and they dont have any problems. They dont try to get too close either, spooks the deer if your not careful.

I think a decent 120/123 gn hunting bullet is all

You need for any uk deer.

Love the 6.5x47l. So much ive got 2!

524AE5DF-CBFD-478E-9844-530DCF405E40_zps

Nice set up ;)

What's the cammo stock I like that :)

Gaz

thanks for the kind comments lads.

I also have a set of OD green panels ill keep as spares cos at 1st i wasnt sure about the camo but now it has grown on me a lot so they'll be staying on.

Bolt was sent to Russell Gall, RG Rifles in Aberdeenshire from PTG.

6.5shooter : never thought about IMR4350, i know its different from H4350 but believe the characteristics are similar.

craig

mine runs on v140 and 130hpbt

Shoot a "few" reds a year amongst other things, 120 - 130g serves them well in my 6.5's (284 and 47)

You don't need any heavier for UK deer imho..

Bootneck,

You wont have any problems seating to mag length in a short action with 140,s in a .260. My reamer will sit most bullets on the lands out of a mag.

You wont compromise case capacity either....very rarely do you fill the case on a 260. Which also makes me wonder why people sometimes Ackley improve them.

Chaps

Thanks for all the info, it's pushing me back towards the 47.

Can I ask what bullets people are using for there deer round for fallow, red, sika?

I was thinking of the 123 A max if the 140's aren't needed.

But due to one location really need the reds to drop on the spot or as near as dammit, as there shot at last light and the ground is like a mangrove swamp. It's a nightmare finding and recovering them.

Gaz what velocity and average accuracy do you get from your 20" rifle, and what's the barrel contour?

Is there any major issues with feeding from magazines?

I'm hoping for a reasonable weight balanced build not to front heavy with a mod on.

Any suggestions with barrel contour plus happy for it to have fluted.

But still needs to be a tack driver.

Thanks to everyone, it's been very helpful.

Anymore info I'll suck it up.

Bootneck

Don't ignore the Hornady 129g SST...I have found it very effective.

Archived