Sako AV 275 HV Rigby Stalker

Ronin

I bought this rifle as a used 270 a couple of years ago, the intention was to rework the rifle and meld it into the lines of a classic stalking rifle along the lines of the Rigby, TT Proctor, and other bespoke English stalking rifles. The idea was placed in my head when I built a similar rifle for Tikka 260 using a Tikka 695 and Mcwoody stock - that turned out very well and I wanted to add my own twist to that idea if using a modern action as a donor to make a "true classic"

The basic rifle is a Sako AV Classic 270 some 30 years old...

The stock and rifle were totally original when I bought it and showed a few marks, scratches and dings associated with years of use.

The action, trigger and bolt have been totally stripped and overhauled.

The stock has been chopped and a ebony cap added.

The original pistol grip cap (wooden) has been replaced with a steel pistol grip cap.

I replaced the original barrel with a dimensionally exact copy from Lothar Walther in 7mm (9 twist) and chambered this in 275 Rigby HV

The barrelled action, once proved was sent to Mid Counties Blacking, where Darren (who I've commissioned before) did a truly excellent job of refinishing all metal parts.

While the blacking was being done, I refinished the stock using traditional oil finishing,,,obviously its been pillar bedded,,,though thats invisible from the outside.

The rifle is now finished, it sports an original set of 30mm rings and a S&B 3-12 x 50 Klassic Scope.

A labour of love, but worth every minute.

_ASC0729_zps67cd7a73.jpg

_ASC0730_zps1e5d87aa.jpg

_ASC0731_zps6044d8a1.jpg

_ASC0732_zps4f300679.jpg

_ASC0733_zpsa023d5a0.jpg

_ASC0734_zps3629b52f.jpg

_ASC0735_zps18a6f00b.jpg

_ASC0737_zps2958f0f3.jpg

Long exposure - over saturated image:

_ASC0739_zps87c9d7bf.jpg

_ASC0741_zpsb9cdaed9.jpg

_ASC0742_zps9623280c.jpg

_ASC0743_zps08888ab7.jpg

_ASC0747_zps63de31be.jpg

Well done Andy, I hope that she has turned out every bit as well as your imagination desired. I have no doubts that the results will pay back the time and effort put into the rehabilitation. As has been said elsewhere, its great to see something different from the Tacticool look and in an ol' fashioned but very effective hunting calibre. I love it!

ATB

P

I only put it back together yesterday morning, dies are coming from the states.

The very same rifle I brought along to the Quarry shoot Dave.

The images really do not do it justice.

It will be a special occasion / high seat rifle, no ratching around the undergrowth with it…..

Unless "my man" is with me, ready to take it out the slip for me.. :lol:

Fair doos excellent work on the woodwork, is that the first time you have done that type of finish if so extra kudos

Fair doos excellent work on the woodwork, is that the first time you have done that type of finish if so extra kudos

First time I've done a complete refurb oil finish from start to end.

Ive touched in scratches and blemishes before, but never attempted anything like this.

Original Tony - cleaned with care with toothbrush...

Still looks surprisingly sharp Andy, hence the question. Lovely piece of work.

I'd be proud to own the rifle, even more so if I could say I restored it myself.

Tony

Very, very nice.

How does it feed? The L61 I had started life as a 270. When it became a 7x57, it wouldn't feed so I cut the a piece off the rear of the follower and put a block in the rear of the magazine well. It fed perfectly after that.

My 7x57 is built around a shot out .270 L691 action and never had a problem feeding...shoots like a demon too. Look forward to the range report Ronin, it looks a stunning piece of kit. Best of luck with it!!

Regards

Finman

It feed dummy rounds impeccably.

I anticipate it may shoot ok...

I have screw cut it - you may have spotted the thread cap..

I won't be using a moderator though.

Still awaiting dies, so no range testing yet, it will be unfettered by bipod too, strictly front bag or rolled up coat only...

Not 100% sure on the scope at moment, undecided on keeping the 3-13 Classik or changing to a simpler Leup or a 42mm objective of some sort.

Think the current scope make it look a little "top heavy"

• 4 months later...

Archived