Load recipies for .223 cz varmint????

craigyboy

I have just got a friend convinced into starting reloading, he has a lovley CZ Varmint 527 Laminate and with plain old magtech at 8 quid for 50 its going about an inch to inch and quarter so with some fine tuned loads it should do real well. He reckons its a 1 in 9 barrel, I think he may be right but havent checked it out. I know Silent, charly and possibly Millpool have CZ varmints so could you and anyone else that has one tell me there loads and what has worked well just to cut out all the bullet and powder testing and cut it down to a few likely candidates. Its used mostly for foxes and the range once a month, he is not interested in long range and 300 yards is probably as far as he will shoot so I was thinking something like the 50g/55g v-max or 52g a-max something in that range but open to suggestions. I know every rifle is different etc and our final load will maybe vary abit but just for a headstart.

I get the impression vit 133 is a good choice.

Be good to see the replys as I am in a similar predicament.

I have just talked the uncle in to reloading and he has a 527 in 223 normal sporter barrel. Funny thing is he was using magtech as well.

Thanks silent, is that coal length, base to tip?

yes mate total overall

Cheers

when I work out what would be a good powder for a gun I do the following

I personally like hogdgdgdgdgdgdon :huh:

look at the list in your particular cal and what you want is the powder that gives the best vel to the lowest pressure (within reason)

that way you can get good speed without to much pressure, back off a little and still be equal to the next best

look at a sierra manual and you will see that they list opt charge for hunting and opt charge for accuracy

this is because the fastest isnt the most accurate, infact sierra, if you look, have worked out that accuracy comes around 100 fps shy of max load (max pressure)

looking down my list I can see blc2 does come proberbly the highest vel/lowest pressure for small to medium weight bullets but requires a lot more in weight per charge than benchmark

benchmark shines for medium to semi heavy and it is an extreme powder where as blc2 isnt according to their book

not really much help but blc2 does look a good powder too

I have never used it so cant really judge but I would imagine its similar to 414?????????????? :blink:

that fu..ing stuff gets every where :blink::lol: is heavy so doesnt fill the case well

anyone use it that can add some imput???

Reason I have some BLC2 is I find in my 222 25grains and 50 grain heads work pretty well. I know somebody else on here uses this as well with similar results around 3000fps.

So I was anticipating around 27 grains to be a good number with 50 grain heads in a 223.

Like you say silent in the bigger stuff (308) a grain below max seems mostly a good area to explore.

Chasing velocity means you bought the wrong gun :huh:

Eldon, I used BL-C(2) in my tac20 and my .204 ruger, it is a brilliant powder in my opinion, it meters the best by far in any powder measure I have used. It also produced extreme spread below 30fps in both cartridges I used it for and accuracy was outstanding. It is also very unfussy with charge weight, as silent says it takes a lot of charge weight to meet velocity but I found that 28g of it was only filling my cases to about the same level as 25.5g of H322, its a real fine powder. I like it and will be trying it in my mates .223 along with Benchmark as suggested by silent.

55grn Seirra Varmiters or blitzkings

26.5grn Varget

cci br4 primer

COA 2.250

works very well in my T3

Then again i aint been loading that long, so may of just hit the right combo first or second time

Thanks Guys, I see everyone is using laupa brass, I use it myslef in the tac20 but I doubt I can persuede my mate to use it,he is adamant that he just wants to use his empty magtech brass , well see how it goes, probably shoot fine out of that brass but there is nothing like laupa.

Silent, hows Benchmark compare to BLC2 as I have some of that.

Eldon I have a tub of BL-C2 sitting on the shelf pard and until I can find someone who uses it it shall sit there. My CZ 223 just doesn't like the stuff at all, I use 25.2gr Benchmark at sammi spec and 50g V-Max, it shoots a 1/4 inch all day long.

Eldon I have a tub of BL-C2 sitting on the shelf pard and until I can find someone who uses it it shall sit there. My CZ 223 just doesn't like the stuff at all, I use 25.2gr Benchmark at sammi spec and 50g V-Max, it shoots a 1/4 inch all day long.

I had a problem with BL-C2 / 223 that was cured by a hotter primer and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Went from 1 MOA to half MOA immediately. (and stayed there!) I used 52 grain Sierras in both cases and changed nothing but the primer and the addition of the crimp. ~Andrew

With the BLC2 I have always used CCI magnum primers and never had a problem. Someone once told me it was good practice with ball powders and I stuck with it. ;)

If its crap in the 223 I will just use it up in the 222.

Might then buy some varget and see how it goes as I also fancy trying that in the 308.

If thats crap then tell the uncle to get benchmark.

I had a problem with BL-C2 / 223 that was cured by a hotter primer and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Went from 1 MOA to half MOA immediately. (and stayed there!) I used 52 grain Sierras in both cases and changed nothing but the primer and the addition of the crimp. ~Andrew

I used rem and fed primers and I always crimp my cases, maybe they are not hot enough but I aint gonna' change the load I am using now. I have posted on here somewhere the target that I shot with the load, without the mod and with it, I'm weel chuffed with the load and once I find a load that works I don't mess about with others that because someone says it shoots well in there's I'm happy and that will do for me (I think) :huh:

Archived