.17hmr

Farmerrow

hi , i have a annie 1517 TH - stock version . dont get me wrong i love it 18" barrel . very light ! but if i were to get another itd be the HW66 and for the money a sak moddy for the money just cant be beaten ! yes a few might be (1-2 DB) slightly quieter but prob cost twice as much ! in the field it really makes no diffrence ¬!

iv had a marlin before it ok ! also a sirrocco sm11 or something that was a bit quieter but kept coming loose - baffels ! and a steel jet-Z wich was better , but still went back to a sak as there simple 3 piece construction is better i think , no loose baffels and no worries !

atb .. tim..

Hi

I would not and did not waste my money on anything other than on a cz 16" varmint rifle with a dm 80 moderator, had the trigger done for me by a local mates shooting pal.

it shoots as well as any other 17 hmr be it a £200 second hand cz or a £800 17hmr from any other maker if it does the job then its fine and i have a mate that spends more time faffing about with his anny bolt than shooting,

i also have a dm 80 mod not sure what one it is i got the complete rifle from a guy down salisbury way a fare few months ago, and all i can say is it shoots better than me,

one thing that has worried me is i have heard that there has been some ammunition problems so i do tend to be very carful when i use it, just making sure that it does go bang rather than phut ?

just make sure you choose what you want and not what others tell you too, after all its your money at the end of the day.

RSC

RSC, fair point as a BMW 316 is still a BMW but there is also the M3 CSL. It's about cash, practicality and one puts a smile on your face a week later It ain't the 316. I loved my HW66. Silk !!!!! Sorry, but better than the 2 Annies I had and £150 cheaper.

It'd a tad unfair to compare a CZ to an Annie as they are different price points.

The (unnamed) importers of (unnamed brand) .17HMR ammunition were frankly appalling and negligent in denying (three times) that .17gn ammunition was flawed until it appeared in Gun Trade News 5 months after noting the flaw to said importers. Stuck heads in a barrel is not fun.

It's not a kids plaything.

Then they quietly started to offer compensation. Imagine Firestone behaving in the same way with flawed tyres. Oh yeah, I forgot they did and lost 68% market share in 5 months together with class action !!!!!

Allegedly all .17HMR ammunition is being manufactured to a higher standard but what a B***S**t situation we put up with. I lost my trust in it.

• 2 weeks later...

CZ 452 Varmint heavy 16 inch barrel for me. Only HMR I've owned and am in no need to replace it. Fixed the trigger and it continues to knock down those 120 yard bunnies every time.

I am not sure comparing the CZ to either Anschutz or Weihrauch has a great deal in common with a 316 and an M3. Both do exactly the same thing and you don't get an additional 500fps from the Anschutz or the Weihrauch over the CZ.

I have found that the ammunition has been the greatest factor in the accuracy of my guns and either in the 1717 or the CZ they both seem to deliver good accuracy with some and abismal accuracy with others. I think the benefit of owning the premium guns is purely that. They are premium in cost,overall finish and minor operational sleekness, but the end result remains the same.

Paying big money for a gun that has such a limiting factor of flaky factory ammunition is not for me.

I would say a more realistic comparison is Audi and Skoda.

CZ 452 Varmint heavy 16 inch barrel for me. Only HMR I've owned and am in no need to replace it. Fixed the trigger and it continues to knock down those 120 yard bunnies every time.

Second that thought...when I was buying mine, Bruce Potts had written a review in Shooting Sports. I met him at the Midland and asked him which one to buy. He said "get the CZ and put the money in the scope". Did that, got the CZ Varmint and haven't looked back after spending another £15 on the trigger. Still shooting 1/2-3/4 inch groups after 7 years, and bowling bunnies over at 150-200 yds if the wether cooperates. Having a pretty gun is nice but then it's not nice to scratch and ding a pretty gun...particularly when it don't shoot better or further than a cheaper one ;)

Finman

Second that thought...when I was buying mine, Bruce Potts had written a review in Shooting Sports. I met him at the Midland and asked him which one to buy. He said "get the CZ and put the money in the scope". Did that, got the CZ Varmint and haven't looked back after spending another £15 on the trigger. Still shooting 1/2-3/4 inch groups after 7 years, and bowling bunnies over at 150-200 yds if the wether cooperates. Having a pretty gun is nice but then it's not nice to scratch and ding a pretty gun...particularly when it don't shoot better or further than a cheaper one ;)

Finman

Turd that as well :lol:

It shoots the same it has 10 round easy to load in the dark mags.

And if you drop it off the truck you wont cry as much.

To me a 17hmr is a tool that I use a lot so cheap, tough and accurate are all I need.

Flash guns are great but don't think the quarry really notice that much.

:unsure:

Stick with a Cz, Annie ,Sako, Weihrauch depending on your budget. My mate had a Friday afternoon savage,it would not group for nothing and we tried all the options believe me. He now has a Cz American and is pleased as punch. I have a dm80 on my quad and a pes on my cz both good. Btw sako will be doing the reborn finnfire in hmr too.

I would vote for the CZ but, I have a Ruger 77/17 with a Green Mountain barrel on it that has devlivered 1.2" groups at 200 yards on still desert mornings with a good batch of ammo. Added a Timney sear. Superb. Unfortunately, the 17HMR isn't well suited for the game in my area so it sits unused. The 22WMR and 5mm Rem see more field time.~Andrew

Archived