.17hmr

Farmerrow

Hoping for some advice on what is the best .17hmr. Cannot chose between cz,anshultz and savage? I love thumbhole stocks and good light triggers. Do the short barrels(14 inches) affect accuracy and velocity? Thanks

to be honest it was s/hand but no probs with trigger i have heard you just have to be patient ,and the trigger will get better with age anyway ,like anything cz its built solid! i did have a thumbhole cz 455 but that was a bit to heavy for carrying about.

i do have an anshutz but thats 22lr i treated myself and thats only 14 inch i have sak mods on both 35 quid apiece its only bunnies and odd fox after all, i tried a pes /mae on the 17 hardley any difference exept 175 quid. dont forget in summer or what passes as summer here if you have permission to drive the stubble fields a shorter rifle is 100% better than something 20 inch long or more with a mod.cheers atb.

What moderators do you guys advise to use?

I've been playing with a few mods on a 17 this weekend and they're all very similar to be honest.The one that did stand out was an old JLS Stalker but with the size I'd expect it to be effective

tbh the pes was a brilliant mod ,but heavy well made but no difference to my ears. for the extra 140 quid. :) in my opinion 6 inch long a few ounces 35 quid if you get 18 mths out of it ,its paid for itself btw i,ve had both of mine 6and half yrs now.

i have annie thats new , cz s/hand never had savage so i cant report both brilliant as i said for bunnies and fox sak mods all work and look good, let one of your mates get 22 inch barrel he can tell you how deep the ditches are in this wet weather. :D cant post pics its like counting cornflakes on here. photo bucket should be <<<< bucket! more ads than itv.

CZ heavy varmint is a good rifle for the money and like the ruger you can get 10 round mags.

Had my trigger lightened and it shoots .5 groups at 100yrds.

Its had about 4000 rounds through it now and no real signs of wear.

Would be worth a look

I have an anshutz thumbhole and love it. However my mate just got a cz thumbhole heavy and it shoots touching holes at 70m so I have to say you can hardly go wrong for the money!

I've had a few... Currently got a cz varmint 16 inch... I've had a Annie and didn't like it one but the bolt was awkward and the safety mechanism was a little stiff! Best rifle in 22lr,17hmr or 22 hornet is a weihraunch hw60j... The two stage trigger is amazing... The bolt is so so smoothe and the overall looks/feel is by far the best! Aaron

Can't fault the 17hmr sako quad. I have fitted a Joe West custom rifle stock to it as well. It groups incredibly well usually just under 0.5 @ 100 yards. Very slick action to cycle. The trigger on the sako quad is also fully adjustable unlike the crappy cz that I unfortunately once brought, once bitten. I use a onelesscharlie 17hmr moderator and it's the best moderator I have ever used/tried and that's compared to a wildcat whisper, sak, , dm80 , my advice on moderator's is buy once and buy the best.

Paul

Triggers do seem a bit ropey on out of the box CZs.

I put a Timney trigger in my CZ452 .17hmr, which was expensive but brilliant. Made it into a really nice accurate little rifle, provided the ammo is good.

I have just "done" the trigger in my CZ452 .22rf using one of the SYSS trigger kits, which cost £14 delivered and took me 40 mins to fit and perform repeated safety checks and bump tests (I was lucky - my first combination of spring and roller was perfect!!). For the money, its produced an extremely good safe trigger - not quite perfect, but really very good, in my view.

Given the availability of these kits and the simplicity of fitting them, I think the CZ is a pretty good deal!

Weihrauch HW 66 Jagd Match. I've had two Anschutz and loved them but the HW IMHO is totally different if you like 0.4MOA groups from the box and a bolt which is akin to silk and something different for all the right reasons. Heavy but fabulous balance. Check it out.

Mod - SAK. £35.

HW66_EA.jpg

Archived