Border Barrels - Status

TACDAVE

Why , I would not use Trueflite , good question , their are a few reasons .

1 ) In the last few years inside NZ , they started to get a not so good rep , some barrels not shooting well at all , some lasting a very short time etc , company not that interested in putting right the bad barrels , and more bad barrels made than before , and it seemed to matter WHO you are as to service etc , so in short getting a good shooting barrel from them was much more of a gamble than in years past .

This rep that they have now in NZ , is from both hunters & target shooters , and it has been mentioned a few times , that the issue maybe the stress relief process in making barrels ?

2 ) They have a limited range on twists etc .

3 ) Only make buttoned barrels , so if you want say a cut rifled barrel , you are out of luck ,

And it could be that , barrels that are Exported outside NZ , are ie better or hand picked , to keep their rep overseas , and stop crap barrels being returned etc or refunded ( very expensive for the company ) .

In short , right now in New Zealand , a lot of guys are looking at either barrels made in USA , Aussie , or barrels made my a new company in NZ called Vulcan , IF they really want a barrel that shoots good .

Not saying that some trueflites shoot good , because some do , BUT some also donot , at least thats what is happening inside NZ at the moment .

And its like any thing , companies get sold , people making them change or leave , and that can have a massive impact on the art of barrel making , at the good one s .

popular barrels from the US , are Krugier , Bartlien , Shilen etc , and that should be NO real surprise to any one .

With the crazy export red tape in the US , I was looking at Border as , being easier and quicker to deal with than the US , Opps that was before the company sold & everyone left ?

Later Chris

I have imported barrels from the US before , and it was very easy , BUT that was quite a few yrs ago , well before most of the US FFL Exporters where killed OFF due to massive licence cost increase & redtape etc , so in the good old days before the US went stupid , ie pre ITAR BS .

I have last yr imported barrels from Armalon in the UK , and found them to be very good to deal with , my Parker Hale C3A1 clone has a new Armalon barrel on it .

Later Chris

I have imported barrels from the US before , and it was very easy , BUT that was quite a few yrs ago , well before most of the US FFL Exporters where killed OFF due to massive licence cost increase & redtape etc , so in the good old days before the US went stupid , ie pre ITAR BS .

I have last yr imported barrels from Armalon in the UK , and found them to be very good to deal with , my Parker Hale C3A1 clone has a new Armalon barrel on it .

Later Chris

How is the armalon working out for you?

so any chance of Armalon being convinced to make stainless barrels, they could seemingly clean up at the moment, Borders problems could have come at a good time for Armalons development, but we still need Border to get there act together as choice and competition make a healthier market

You can hammer forge stainless steel, but the heat treatments required do not make it economic. Stainless steels become highly 'work hardened' when hammer forged. The 'strain induced Martensite' makes them very hard to machine and also more prone to corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. Of course work hardening happens with Chrome Moly steels too, but it's an easy heat treatment at 550 degrees C to stress relieve. Hammer forged stainless steels require stress relieving at much higher temperatures, typically 1,100 degrees C, which requires much more expensive equipment.

Caveat: that's all from memory from my engineering training from nearly 30 years ago, so the details might be a little bit off!

ChrisF comments on Truflite quality and reputation are a worry ..I only have one of these on a 260 and its a cracker ....I assumed it was a typical example but now wonder what I would order to replace it in due course.

Yes, Lee is well installed there but it'll be a while before they've actually got barrels on the shelf as they have not yet got a rifling machine, in fact, its design isn't even finalised.

Chris F mentioned Vulcan barrels over here. They're a micro producer and really don't have enough in the field to have developed a solid reputation. I actually have one fitted to a fully rebuilt BSA Hunter (~1950's vintage). The gun was a wreck with broken stock and worse barrel. A guy down the road built a stock and I fitted a Vulcan barrel as I wanted a blued traditional finish. Here it is largely finished except the chequering still needs to be done.

BSAHunter223_zps3222c913.jpg

The thing was only mediocre accuracy-wise at the start but as soon as I tried 53 V-Maxs, we hit paydirt

BSAFeb14_zpsbb3bf477.jpg

Armalon are making hammer forged barrels AFAIK, not sure if you can use SS for that process.

It's too hard on the forge and that's why they don't use it.

That said, Armalon are getting enquiries for stainless barrels, so are looking into installing a broaching facility

Personally I,ve used many truflites and every one of them has been superb. They are top quality steel that flows off the reamer in a long ribbon. There are no hard and soft spots in them, and that is the only make of barrel I,ve found that in. Even bartliens have varying quality.

I would take a button rifled truflite in front of ANY barrel made today.

Their only drawback is the price. They are silly money here due to the exchange rate.

I hope Armalon get into stainless barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

Could always ping them an email and ask :unsure: , website says they will be at IWA next month

Just been on the Border Barrels stand at IWA - they are very much alive and still making barrels. The move to Birmingham is due to take place soon. They are doing their best to satisfy outstanding orders.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys

Went to see Mik at Dolphin Guns as I live in Lincolnshire......

The guy has a vast array of barrels on the shelf to look at, and his workshop is organised like an operating theatre.

I work away a lot so struggle to get to places mid week and Saturdays. Not a problem for Mik as he was quite prepared to open just for me on a Sunday.

Had a 32" Bartlein barrel fitted to my .300 win mag with brake, proofed plus extensive machining of the barrel channel on my stock to fit all within 2 weeks of my first E-mail which he replied to within 10 minutes of me sending it!

That is service. And he's a great Guy to complete the package always responds to my E-mails when I need advice.

Highly recommended

Dave

• 10 months later...

Old Border seemed to have died but they now have two offspring:- Border Barrels/Sassen Engineering making button rifled barrels, and GB Barrels - see elsewhere on this site and on Facebook

Archived