Border Barrels - Status

TACDAVE

Hi Guys

Has anybody dealt with Border Barrels recently?

They don’t seem to be answering the phone and it takes ages to get any sort of reply via E-mail.

Read they have been recently acquired by a Birmingham gun company, is this just teething troubles or the norm?

Do they still come recommended?

I had this response from Border Barrels recently....

"Thank you for your most interesting reply. I can only apologise for the response you received when you called Newcastleton.

I’m pleased to able to report that work continues at Border Barrels and will do for at least the next three months – until the weather has calmed down !

The key players are all transferring to Birmingham. Geoff Kolbe has now resigned and Jenny Edwards has gone too……"

John

John Shirley

Director

Border Barrels Ltd

Unit 4 Gunsmith House

50 -54 Price Street

Birmingham B4 6JZ

UK

Listen boys

I am nobody but I know what's going on

This is a transition period and changes to come will be for the better and not worse - if that makes sense

Just hold on tight

For god sake don't knock them on the net

it's the only brotish barrel company we have

Give them a breathing space to organise themselves and we will have something to be proud of

I ordered a blank before Christmas (over phone) with the assurance of an email confirmation after New Year. As yet nothing, mulitple phone calls and answer phone messages later still no response. I know the Christmas break starts mid Dec but I was not aware it went on until end of Jan. Now a month later I cannot give my customer an assurance if this barrel is ordered, when I'm going to receive it or if it will be made by staff with years of experiance or straight from the job centre in brum. If they are moving machinery to Birmingham it would be a good idea to at least post on their website that this is happening and they are not able to answer calls. If punters are ignored for long they will go elsewhere.

Listen boys

I am nobody but I know what's going on

This is a transition period and changes to come will be for the better and not worse - if that makes sense

Just hold on tight

For god sake don't knock them on the net

it's the only brotish barrel company we have

Give them a breathing space to organise themselves and we will have something to be proud of

If you mean British, not it isn't.

Armalon make very good barrels.

As for Border, despite several attempts to contact them, I finally managed to speak to Mr Shirley who assured me he would send me my long awaited order confirmation for the 14 blanks I requested they very next day.

That was before christmas............I'm still waiting but no longer chasing

Just bought a 7mm shehane on an rpa from them and they were a bit slow, but as there moving to Birmingham its a bit up in the air.

Keep trying you will get there in the end.

Good luck

I can assure you it is

May be I will get john to chime in here to assure you boys

It was over 2 months ago when I placed the order, i.e. around 16th Nov

3 or 4 times I have been told they will email the confirmation to me.

Meanwhile I have hacked off customers backing up and am looking elsewhere

In the past i have been able to pop down and see the guys at border barrels and speak with everyone face to face, andi know I get what was ordered. They always turn up with the goods (bar once, but was rectified).

Now I'm not so sure- I had enquired for barrels in November but nothing. Did try to get in contact and emailed but still no joy.

Two and a half months on and business has went elsewhere. Sorry guys!

I knew of this a long time ago and planned ahead with a load of unprofiled blanks, of which I still have a good few.

I,ve bought an awful lot over the years and service and quality was spot on, with the bonus of being able to get anything I wanted.

I fully understand the present situation, but the problem is the protracted lead times, if the order can actually be placed etc.

The fitting of barrels in the main in this country is done by people who have the blanks. There is a fair percentage who will wait for a blank, and more specifically, the gunsmith, but they are the small minority. People want a new barrel fitting...yesterday.

I,ve been Border,s staunchest supporter , and will be again....but only when they sort this lot out.

Gunsmiths cannot wait while this happens. Our business needs blanks quickly, or the work disappears.

I,ve switched, for the time being to Pacnor , Bergara , and even Walther, amongst the usual Truflites , Bartliens and also Benchmark now.

I desperatley want this venture to succeed for Border , but it needs sorting quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Second that...keep what ever we can in this country. Just need to be straight up and honest. Im still awaiting a barrel for my build.

The wait is on.

Would be good if border posted just to confirm things.

My two pittence.

Lol

CZV

I must admit I find it slightly worrying the Geoff kolbe has resigned, it was my understanding that it was he who went over the pond to study with Boots to learn the art of barrel making?

Redshift

I must admit I find it slightly worrying the Geoff kolbe has resigned, it was my understanding that it was he who went over the pond to study with Boots to learn the art of barrel making?

Redshift

I believe he was the only one that knew how to set up the Pratt & Whitney rifling machines

I would not hold your breath for a border barrel any time soon . they keep crashing there cnc Profiling machine and wrecking barrels .

What a shame , they let there best Guy go who ran this end of things , he used to turn out 20+ barrel a day now they cant run 20 a week .

Arrogance and pride come before a fall .

keep a good sharp eye on the prices they will go up .

No doubt there barrels were Good but there service from now in will not be with the run of the mill user .

Armalon only make hammer forged, chrome moly barrels. they have a very good reputation, but just to give an indication of the market, I think I,ve fitted two chrome moly barrels in the last 6 or 7 years.

Different gunsmiths will use different stuff however. Sporting rifle builders will use chrome moly if they are building a blued gun, but the market is for stainless barrels in the vast majority.

Armalon only make hammer forged, chrome moly barrels. they have a very good reputation, but just to give an indication of the market, I think I,ve fitted two chrome moly barrels in the last 6 or 7 years.

Different gunsmiths will use different stuff however. Sporting rifle builders will use chrome moly if they are building a blued gun, but the market is for stainless barrels in the vast majority.

+1

Sort your stuff out Border barrels .

Looks like Border Management are Taking the Mushroom Farming management style to there work force and end user .

companies have to learn that the shooting public is well informed these days and votes with there feet, and are not baffled by BS.

sorry for the rant but we need good service in the UK not BS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived