powders?

dwight

hi Dwight,

I don't shoot a .223, so I cannot make any recommendations there. I shoot a 6.5x55 though, and I have tried Varget (which works wonders for my 6mmBR). Varget is rather fast for a 140gn bullet and the load is rather conservative as it raises pressure quite quickly, so I will have to disagree with the chaps who suggest that it may work for the 6.5x55.

In my search for an accurate load I tried the Hogdon 4831SC (which meters very well), Accurate Arms 4350 and Vihtavuori N160

Of the three the N160 worked the best for both the 140Hornady SST and the 120 Sierra SP (with 3 shot groups of .4 and .15 of an inch, out of a sporter weight Sako 75, straight out of the box 1:8 twist, 22 inch barrel).

There are excellent suggestions for the 6.5x55 in both the Hogdon and the Vihtavuori websites, particularly the latter as they are in Skandinavia where the 6.5 is a very popular caliber (they don't call it 6.5x55 Swedish for a laugh ;-))

Hope this helps,

best wishes,

Finman

Hi all.

I had a wonderful one-hole load in my .308 Varminter with Varget but when I changed to a new tub the group size became 1.5 to 2 inches.

I used the rest up in a friends .30-06 so it was not wasted, I wasn`t prepared to mess about experimenting again as I only use the .308 on rare occasions.

I have a new batch in hand so I will give IT a go and see what happens.

HWH.

I,m with Finman on the varget.Its too fast for a 140 grain, even thugh there are loads listed.They aren,t anywhere near full cases ...which is never good.

Vhit 160 is good, but if you need that little bit more more velocity, and no more pressure, then vhit 560 is the dogs doodahs.It was actually designed with the swede in mind...mainly for the old military rifles chambered in it. You can get a full case with this powder. However, as with all double based powders, its an individual weighing job...they dont meter at all well.

After trying various powders as Baldie says I have std/ised on N560 it gives good velocity and excellent ( .5" ) accuracy. I am a great believer in using the tool for the job, not compromises, just use the best powder for the calibre rahter than trying the "one size fits all" thing which is very rarely the best all round. I have used Varget in 223s and it did well but quality of recent years has been variable and the Vhit powders are on top at the moment, although there are lads as silent says swear by the Hodgdon Benchrest for it.

Think of it another way, all powders are made in batches and vary from batch to batch, so the only way to guarantee consistency is to buy several tubs from the same batch, putting off the retesting of your favourit load for longer. If two rifles are eating out of the same pot that day comes round much sooner, so it is a plus to use a different powder for each as you will only need to buy a couple of tubs to last probably a few years or so. Money Saver!!!!! :huh:

Redfox

Archived