2014 Accuracy International Rifles

Scotch_egg

Interested to see the number of folks looking to trade up from AE etc.

What will the new ones do that that your current gat doesn't?

All the AI offerings I have fired seem to punch sub 1/2" holes with the right ammo.

I smell marketing at work!

Rgds

Ian :)

I won't be trading up any time soon, would rather spend the extra money on fuel getting to the range and learning to be a better shooter!

On another note, the Viper Skins are in the country some where, delivery any day now :D

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That "grub screw" uses a 4mm allen key, therefore the thread size on the screw will be at least 5mm, maybe even 6mm.

I would also assume it's not a grub screw and is in fact a cap head screw, so will be capable of exerting more torque on the receiver.

I've had a close look at the vid and am not sure if the screw does go into the thread undercut. I think the receiver has a split at the bottom and the screw is pinching it underneath the threads.

For the record, the LMT .308 barrel is retained the same way with a similar size screw, only that barrel slides in instead of screwing in

That idea would make a lot more sense Mark. The ability to nip up the receiver ALL the way around the thread via a clamp works on other guns as you say.

That said, an even better method would be to use this clamping arrangement , but put a barrel extension over the threads, That would have made a clean change very simple indeed.

Has anyone been given a timeframe on them actually being in stock here?

I'm especially interested in the AXMC and the price of the spare .308 bolt/mag (not on the price list).

Equally if the AX AICS actually folds right, since the videos show it right folding, but SS price list says:

"REM 700 SHORT ACTION .308 - New AX 2014 style - left side folding rear, pistol grip, Flush Cup, 13" Forend tube mounting system"

I'll call tomorrow, but it would be great if someones knows to save the trouble.

Cheers,

Tiff

just seen pics of the 3 large cuts they make in the new AIs , its on sniperhide at the moment , its a real shame to have butchered a very strong design on the alter of multicalibre BS dream .

Later Chris

I certainly does seem a slightly odd approach to me - hopefully an engineer will reassure me it's structurally no weaker.... I assume there is no way of muck getting in to the underside of the exposed barrel threads?

If they are taking this approach, a non-'quick change' action at say £500 less would be good. Then just use an action wrench and vice like AI's have done to date.

Interestingly that thread on SH appears to have vanished?

just seen pics of the 3 large cuts they make in the new AIs , its on sniperhide at the moment , its a real shame to have butchered a very strong design on the alter of multicalibre BS dream .

Later Chris

Do you have a link Chris?

Do you have a link Chris?

It mysteriously vanished when people started to quite sensibly question the design......

Edit: Sorry ipad ran out of juice. In essence it looked like a capital 'ɪ' had been cut in the bottom of the action threads. The bolt then crossed this slot (like the TRG muzzle brake), meaning it clamps the barrel in place without touching the threads I'd imagine.

Does seem a bit strange to me, since surely it is effectively chaning the shape of the action/how strong is the action then? I'm sure it's great, just seems strange to someone who's used to an action being 'solid'.

I emailed Sporting Services the other day.

[Me] Hi I know these rifles have only just been announced officially, but I was looking through all the pricing info on your website, the only thing I couldn't find was the price of a 308 bolt, barrel and magazine conversion for the AXMC300/338. Also is it possible to buy just the 308 bolt and magazine but not barrel?

Last question is there a timescale to when these new rifles will be available?

I look forward to your reply

Many thanks

Peter Abbotson

[sporting Services] Hi Pete

The price for the .308 conversion kit will be £1450.00. Tis includes the barrel, bolt and magazine.

We are expecting to get riles for stock every month so if there is something that fits your specification, then then there should not be any waiting time.

If we do need to order a rifle for you, it will be about 2 or 3 months

If you have any other questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Jake Sherlock

Sales Administrator

Sporting Services

P.O. Box 432, Crawley

West Sussex, RH10 4YT, UK.

Tel: +44 (0)1342 716427 | Fax: +44 (0)1342 715570 | VAT No. 571701159

email: jake@sportingservices.co.uk | web: http://www.sportingservices.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Yeah ,

Sorry , I should have saved the pics , and you are right , as soon as guys started to Question it re strenght etc , the whole thread has GONE .

Basically , amagine a LARGE " H " , rotated 90 degrees to lay down , cut DEEP in to the tenion thread area , half way thru vertically .

And although the locking is done by the locking insert ring , the barrel must be supported LESS on this version , I would like to see AI Listen more to the right people , maybe offer the Quick change as an option , as all they have done is put 3 cuts into the action ,

I raisied the issue , of the mulitcal , being BS in the real world , as has been brought up already , and it seems the Ai rifles are becoming less strong & less soldier proof in real terms than before ( ie losing parts & carring 2x extra barrels & bolts on deployment etc ) , maybe they did not like that as well , Opps , Bad Chris .

I do however like the right folding stock design , the new bipod is to me so , so , it should have been much better in reguards the AX tube design , I expected a modern rendition of the old Russian DP of WWII , I like the fact you can get the AT ( AW ) at a cheaper price , thats cool .

I'm not saying , I will not maybe buy a AI rifle again , I have 5x AI rifles to date , and was looking at getting more , not so sure anymore , as I am starting to HATE that allen head bolt , the onnlt AI , with a un - butchered action , is the AX50 ?

Maybe I need a 50BMG ?

Later Chris

The area you're describing with the cut is -in my mind's eye- in a section that would normally be epoxied to the chassis. Is the area forward of the lug now essentially free floating to allow the clamp to operate?

Looking at Chris' thread on SH it appears the images were removed by the request of AI as the rifles have not been released to market yet. Shame, would like to have seen those.

Couldn't see Sporting Services listed as an attending the British Shooting Show either so won't get a chance to see them I guess...

Looking at Chris' thread on SH it appears the images were removed by the request of AI as the rifles have not been released to market yet. Shame, would like to have seen those.

Couldn't see Sporting Services listed as an attending the British Shooting Show either so won't get a chance to see them I guess...

On AI's old website which is still available, under their news section it states they will be at Stoneleigh - http://www.accuracyinternational.com/news/?p=282

I certainly hope they will be. In attendance. The only reason I am planning a visit is to get my hands on before ordering.

I need to decide is £1400 difference between a folding AT and the AX is worth it. From the photos I have seen the only difference is the stock.

I have also not seen it confirmed if the picatinny rail is integral to the action.

I certainly hope they will be. In attendance. The only reason I am planning a visit is to get my hands on before ordering.

I need to decide is £1400 difference between a folding AT and the AX is worth it. From the photos I have seen the only difference is the stock.

I have also not seen it confirmed if the picatinny rail is integral to the action.

Sporting Services will not be in attendance but Accuracy International will be apparently...

Hi guys ,

Actually all that some one needs to do , is any one that has a AI AX PSR rifle will be able to pull the barrel and show the cuts , and take a pic for all to see , 3 rather large cuts , deep into the bottom of the action , just amagine , 2 cuts running West/East about 20mm apart on the bottom going up to the center line ie 1/2 way thru the action , and a 3rd cut joining them running North/South .

The rifle I think has been released , as Mile high put the pics UP , so they have them in stock in the US maybe , unless they got some pre-release or from the shot show , info I had was the rifles are already made and are available now to buy .

Seems very funny , as IF pics of the barrel trhead in area where the allen head bolt is , are NOT going to be posted by a owner on the net , Yeah right .

I was maybe lucky to see the pics , before they where PULLED .

Later Chris

Scotch egg ,

If you are talking of the high pitcanny rail on the AX rifles where the scope mounts , its not integrel to the action , its a seperate piece , or it is on my AX338 , its Aluminium and bolted to the action , its NOT steel , like the action body .

Later Chris

Dave, the rail is separate. It has a couple of tiny locator screws, but basically its bonded on with something very tough indeed. I spent 1/2 hour warming one up to remove it. Its stuck....tight.

Go the whole hog and get the AX...you wont regret it.

Don't like he big AI USA sign in the background very disappointing.

Also don't like the fact for side pic rails you have to first add a keyhole rail then attach it to that, two rails take the place on one say compared to viper skins.

I still think he AT looks a nice weapon

Archived