2014 Accuracy International Rifles

Scotch_egg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NI gloves and a Mk6 helmet. :rolleyes:

:lol:

So whats actually happened here is the "entry level" AI has become more expensive, and the "obsolete" military AW gets sold into the civilian market at a slightly lower price than before.

People looking to enter into new AI ownership end up paying more, for unnecessary features and robustness, with no gain in accuracy potential.

Good marketing strategy, with smoke and mirrors provided by the grub screw!

They do look nice though, anyone want to buy an AE with all the trimmings?

I think you've got that right on tbh Garry. I'd like to know exactly how the grub screw works and durability.

viper-skin type stocks & swap-out barrels = AI finally recognising that real money is to be made in the AfterSales market, rather than its rifle sales alone

(Bearing in-mind that steel prices continue to rocket, this is a very aggressive move into the US civilian market. The Spams are going to buy-up TactiCool barrel options like there's no tomorrow)

The full brochure makes interesting reading:

http://accuracyinternational.com/Resources/AI_brochure_download_2014_LR.pdf

I'm not sure about how the Pic. rail is fitted to the AT? It seems unnecessarily high (edit: just watched the SH AT video and the 20moa rail is apparently built into/is part of the action. I'm guessing it's that high, so front NV/thermal can be mounted inline without barrel clearance issues....)

Also I'd be interested to hear if the .308 bolt on the AXMC .338 has to fully cycle the long action, or if there is some catch/stop to allow it to operate as a short action? Would be really neat if it did.....

(Bearing in-mind that steel prices continue to rocket, this is a very aggressive move into the US civilian market)

I don't think the cost of steel has much of a bearing to be honest, it's generally quiet out there for the mills and prices are competitive. I'm sure that the cost of the steel making up these rifles is a tiny fraction of the overall cost. The bulk of it not being in raw material but in manufacturing (machining / assembly) and overheads.

Not in UK construction it isn't.

Steel has been trading higher for the last 4 years thanks to china & India.

Steel mills are quiet in the UK because no one can afford it - especially those units who invested in new cranage and lifting gear

I've had to buy as far as Eastern Europe for non-spec beam sizes and big superstructure. (Then travel and fuel costs kill you again)

I'm convinced AI isn't making that much profit on the rifle compared to the potential AfterSales

That said, I take your point about machining etc & in that respect will defer to gunsmiths

Steel is cheaper in the US - so perhaps these new rifles will predominantly North American affairs? They've even started to drop the 'AI England' badge! :P

Oh, thats ok then.

I do like things being locked up solid though.

I have even had a barrel screw cut into a 10/22 action and thats just a .22!

Thanks Phil :-)

OK here's a tip for you

Don't buy an AR15

First review of the AT is up, looks very well thought out! love the fast change barrel change mechanism.

Also have just noticed the price - less than the old AE! I know what's on my wish list this year...

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/230371-official-accuracy-international-first-look.html#post2899999

Nice to see Franks no 1 choice of rifle is matched in quality by his choice in clothing

;)

While I would love to go to the Shot Show - for a week of looking at cool stuff.

Most companies feel the incessant need to play keeping up with the Jones's, in bringing out something "new" each year - oh the joys of marketing !

In reality no police force of military unit worth they're salt would bother buying detachable barrelled rifles - the budgets are more than big enough to have dedicated and separate rifles.

And the less that can go wrong the better - why add another feature for the bored squadie or ARV to play with. Its just some thing else to break.

Having spent an entire morning last week cleaning our dirty carboned SA80's, GPMG's & HMG's - soldiers will over clean, if its possible to remove something and scrub it to death with Scotch Brite -

soldiers will !!!

Coz when was the last time you needed to scrub the barrel or receiver threads as part of your regular cleaning regime ???

Price list is finally up get your wallets out or back from your wives lads!

Sporting Services AI 2014 Rifles Retail.

Depending which way you slice it AE's have gone up or AW's have gone down in price.

And AX's you could argue is just inflation, to be fair the prices haven't changed for 3 years I think they are fairly (I'm not sure which word to use that will get me the least stick from you guys let the onslaught begin lol) priced :ph34r: apart from I think the AX308 should be £500 cheaper

Also Can't see price info on the 308 bolt and barrel for the AX300/338 which is what I'm most interested in now as this will be the deal breaker in wether I get one.

Price list is finally up get your wallets out or back from your wives lads!

Sporting Services AI 2014 Rifles Retail.

Depending which way you slice it AE's have gone up or AW's have gone down in price.

And AX's you could argue is just inflation, to be fair the prices haven't changed for 3 years I think they are fairly (I'm not sure which word to use that will get me the least stick from you guys let the onslaught begin lol) priced :ph34r: apart from I think the AX308 should be £500 cheaper

Also Can't see price info on the 308 bolt and barrel for the AX300/338 which is what I'm most interested in now as this will be the deal breaker in wether I get one.

Quite impressed with my fag packet maths; £3400 for folder with muzzlebrake

...but the bipod's not being included in that price

Its every bit as strong - same number of threads, same strong AI action. The only difference is its not torqued down into the action but held in place by the retaining grub screw. I can't honestly see AI releasing something that has not been rigorously tested and for those of us that are not using them in a professional capacity I think its a moot point. As an aside If you think about it you're actually reducing stress on the barrelled action by not torquing the barrel in.

Imagine these scenario's.

Barrel put back in with dirt/grit stuck to it. There is only one safe way to ensure this does not happen. Thats to completely degrease both the action and the barrel tenon with a powerful solvent. Then blow it off with at least 100 psi of compressed air. Then re-grease with uncontaminated grease.

Not going to happen in the field, or anywhere else other than a workshop.

Imagine a speck of grit on the second to last turn of the barrel. Punter will think its home and swing on that grub screw, thus knackering the threads just behind the undercut.

Cross threading.

Screwing a barrel on hand tight is a recipie for disaster. Large calibres will unscrew a sound mod due to rotation of the twist/bullet. It will do exactly the same with a barrel. A tiny amount of looseness will not only wreck accuracy, but the barrel threads and action threads too. To say nothing of the instantly increased headspace.

I would,t want to trust all that to a grub screw.

While I would love to go to the Shot Show - for a week of looking at cool stuff.

Most companies feel the incessant need to play keeping up with the Jones's, in bringing out something "new" each year - oh the joys of marketing !

In reality no police force of military unit worth they're salt would bother buying detachable barrelled rifles - the budgets are more than big enough to have dedicated and separate rifles.

And the less that can go wrong the better - why add another feature for the bored squadie or ARV to play with. Its just some thing else to break.

Having spent an entire morning last week cleaning our dirty carboned SA80's, GPMG's & HMG's - soldiers will over clean, if its possible to remove something and scrub it to death with Scotch Brite -

soldiers will !!!

Coz when was the last time you needed to scrub the barrel or receiver threads as part of your regular cleaning regime ???

+1

Interested to see the number of folks looking to trade up from AE etc.

What will the new ones do that that your current gat doesn't?

All the AI offerings I have fired seem to punch sub 1/2" holes with the right ammo.

I smell marketing at work!

Rgds

Ian :)

Interested to see the number of folks looking to trade up from AE etc.

What will the new ones do that that your current gat doesn't?

All the AI offerings I have fired seem to punch sub 1/2" holes with the right ammo.

I smell marketing at work!

Rgds

Ian :)

I'm still in love with my AE so its staying! :)

Looks good to me, all the features of the AW for less money with the added bonus of a quick change barrel if want to. If you don't need the facility don't use it or if you don't feel 100% confident leave well alone and let a gunsmith do it.

Great to see a British company doing well as I can see this flying off the shelves in the States as the Yanks seem to hold them in great esteem. Be interesting to know the increased turnover they get from this model.

That "grub screw" uses a 4mm allen key, therefore the thread size on the screw will be at least 5mm, maybe even 6mm.

I would also assume it's not a grub screw and is in fact a cap head screw, so will be capable of exerting more torque on the receiver.

I've had a close look at the vid and am not sure if the screw does go into the thread undercut. I think the receiver has a split at the bottom and the screw is pinching it underneath the threads.

For the record, the LMT .308 barrel is retained the same way with a similar size screw, only that barrel slides in instead of screwing in

In my opinion they are trying to compete with DTA with the switch barrel design and also mauser I have both rifles and I think dta have got it right even under field conditions not that I can speak on military environments no threads or screws to get full of crap I think both mauser mo3 and DTA have already got the market on the switch barrel design

Archived