understanding MOA

hello peeps again , thanks to other members im now using jbm which works in MOA , now when i used my old calculator it was in clicks - thats what i worked in ! so im struguling a bit in understanding the dope of MOA -

for instance @ 350 yards it says drop (MOA) is -4.7 how many clicks would that work out to be ?

i feel Gbal will prob lend a few pages on this lol no pun x. anyone explain ?

Assuming your scope has '1/4"@100 yards' or '1/4moa' clicks, then,

4.7 (drop) x4 (clicks for one MOA) = 19 clicks (rounding the 4.7 to 4.75)

Pete

cheers pete , so for instance @ 265Y - -1.8 moa would that be 8 clicks ? sorry just a bit slow but ill get there ! lol

Whats the marking of your scope, if it's 1/4" at 100 yard thats near as dammit .25moa. 4 clicks should be 1", 1moa is 1.047"

I used to count clicks but now do MOA, every four clicks is 1moa, if you look on your turrets (depending on model) every fourth mark is longer, consider this 1moa.

When you shoot out to further distances its quicker turning the turret to 4moa (fourth longer mark) than counting 16 clicks

cheers pete , so for instance @ 265Y - -1.8 moa would that be 8 clicks ? sorry just a bit slow but ill get there ! lol

1.8 moa would be closer to round down to 1.75 moa so 7 clicks 8 clicks @1/4 moa would be 2 moa

Atb Matt

Whats the marking of your scope, if it's 1/4" at 100 yard thats near as dammit .25moa. 4 clicks should be 1", 1moa is 1.047"

I used to count clicks but now do MOA, every four clicks is 1moa, if you look on your turrets (depending on model) every fourth mark is longer, consider this 1moa.

When you shoot out to further distances its quicker turning the turret to 4moa (fourth longer mark) than counting 16 clicks

thanks it a NF .25 adjustment, i understand moa at say 100 2 -3 -4 and so on its in between i get mind numb ! never been good at maths lol !

say 475y drop in inches is 49.1 - it says MOA 9.9 ? what would that work out to be ?

thanks it a NF .25 adjustment, i understand moa at say 100 2 -3 -4 and so on its in between i get mind numb ! never been good at maths lol !

say 475y drop in inches is 49.1 - it says MOA 9.9 ? what would that work out to be ?

don't worry mate...I had the same problem...you will soon get your head round it ;)

As Will0 says 10 which I think on NF is 1 whole turn (might be wrong) from your scope zero you have 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75, 2.00 and so on. I think if you have a play with JBM you can have the readings as whole numbers, 0,1,2 etc, not as accurate but probably all you will need. PM me your address and I lend you a DVD about using moa. Its easier if you hear and see it rather than read it I find

EDIT. Just been on JBM, if you go back on the calculator and click the bottom right hand box "Round output whole numbers" it will give your drop to the nearest MOA

As Will0 says 10 which I think on NF is 1 whole turn (might be wrong) from your scope zero you have 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75, 2.00 and so on. I think if you have a play with JBM you can have the readings as whole numbers, 0,1,2 etc, not as accurate but probably all you will need. PM me your address and I lend you a DVD about using moa. Its easier if you hear and see it rather than read it I find

EDIT. Just been on JBM, if you go back on the calculator and click the bottom right hand box "Round output whole numbers" it will give your drop to the nearest MOA

many thanks , ill try that before anything ! i think most of the problem is i see MOA in quarters , like 2.5 moa to me would be 10 clicks for instance ! or 2-1/2 moa . its when on my chart says 2.8 moa ! ill go back to JBM now - cheers pals .. tim..

EDIT, yes my scope has 10 MOA for 1 complete turret turn or 40 clicks !

THink i got it now ,

EG range 465Y

drop in inches is 45.8"

now i worked out if i calculate 45.8 divided by range 4.65 = 9.8 then X4 = actual clicks (39) which is 9+3/4 moa on my scope ! so got a quick chart made up out to 520 Y , now off for some hopefully daytime vermin and tomorrow as it me Bday tmw ! sweet xx

Just out of interest does it work on cm / m.rad click scopes etc like a S&B PM2. i haven't used the JBM programm only Sierra Infinity 5 and find it a bit difficult to work out scope corrections, any help on that one?

Jim

Just out of interest does it work on cm / m.rad click scopes etc like a S&B PM2. i haven't used the JBM programm only Sierra Infinity 5 and find it a bit difficult to work out scope corrections, any help on that one?

Jim

Its lists

cm

cm/100m

in

in/100y

mil

moa

Archived