Whats the difference in RCBS 502 scales and 505 Scales??

Jamie

Hi folks,

Could somebody tell me the difference between the RCBS 502 scales and the RCBS 505 scales?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie - There's very little difference between the 502 and the 505. All the common RCBS range use exactly the same floating agate bearing/knife edge set up (this is the heart of any beam scale, the rest is just fluff) So, the basic 502 is just as accurate as the 10/10, just a different shape and odds and ends.

Both the 502 and the 505 have the same body, the difference is the way you set the desired weight on the beam. The 502 has two sliding adjustment weights and the 505 has a three poise system.

Have a look at the pictures here and you will see the difference.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/605320/rcbs-model-502-magnetic-powder-scale-505-grain-capacity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/758842/rcbs-model-505-magnetic-powder-scale-511-grain-capacity

Thanks for the reply and info 1066.

I personally can't see any benefit or negative from a 2 poise to a 3 poise. But then again, I am a newbie.......

I'm looking to buy a set of either the 502's, 505's, or maybe even the Hornady beam scale.... But can't make my mind up? :unsure:

I'm puzzled as to why they would sell both the 502 and 505 if that's the only important feature in the difference. Am I missing something??

atb

Jamie

Hi Jamie - There's very little difference between the 502 and the 505. All the common RCBS range use exactly the same floating agate bearing/knife edge set up (this is the heart of any beam scale, the rest is just fluff) So, the basic 502 is just as accurate as the 10/10, just a different shape and odds and ends.

Both the 502 and the 505 have the same body, the difference is the way you set the desired weight on the beam. The 502 has two sliding adjustment weights and the 505 has a three poise system.

Have a look at the pictures here and you will see the difference.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/605320/rcbs-model-502-magnetic-powder-scale-505-grain-capacity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/758842/rcbs-model-505-magnetic-powder-scale-511-grain-capacity

The 505 with the three poise system is possibly easier to set the desired weight. The notches along the beam are at 10 grain intervals so does make it a bit more positive and visible. I have both and have no problem with either.

I've not had anything to do with the new Hornady beam scale yet although I have worked on several of the older Hornady/Pacific beam scales.

http://www.midwayuk.com/Hornady-Balance-Beam-Powder-Scale

The new Hornady looks to be a sound scale, it has the same 2 poise system as the 502, is magnetically damped and covers the same range as the 502.

Hornady scales have previously used spool shaped hardened steel bearings as opposed to the RCBS floating agate bearings. Not really a problem though, they usually work very well. The Hornady level adjuster is a little crude, just being a coarse threaded bolt that tends to move the scale about as you adjust it.

Here's one of the older types, tricked out with a camera and new ball-bearing adjuster.

th_20130218_180742_zps8e761db8.jpg

The 505 with the three poise system is possibly easier to set the desired weight. The notches along the beam are at 10 grain intervals so does make it a bit more positive and visible. I have both and have no problem with either.

I've not had anything to do with the new Hornady beam scale yet although I have worked on several of the older Hornady/Pacific beam scales.

http://www.midwayuk.com/Hornady-Balance-Beam-Powder-Scale

The new Hornady looks to be a sound scale, it has the same 2 poise system as the 502, is magnetically damped and covers the same range as the 502.

Hornady scales have previously used spool shaped hardened steel bearings as opposed to the RCBS floating agate bearings. Not really a problem though, they usually work very well. The Hornady level adjuster is a little crude, just being a coarse threaded bolt that tends to move the scale about as you adjust it.

Here's one of the older types, tricked out with a camera and new ball-bearing adjuster.

th_20130218_180742_zps8e761db8.jpg

Thanks 1066, very well detailed! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought a set of RCBS 505's in the end.

I'm chuffed to bits with them! Although I'd prefer it if the beam marker tip was a little close to the black "zero" line, but that's probably due to my eyes.... :wacko:

Not sure - I may be mis-interpreting what you say, but it sounds like you haven't levelled the scale as yet - try winding the wheel under the pointer end up and down!! (Sorry if you are talking about something else - I'm a simple soul!!;)

Not sure - I may be mis-interpreting what you say, but it sounds like you haven't levelled the scale as yet - try winding the wheel under the pointer end up and down!! (Sorry if you are talking about something else - I'm a simple soul!! ;)

Thanks for the imput Bushdog.

I meant, as in when the scales are zeroed, there is too big a gap between the 2 markers that's all :)

Aha - gotcha!! Thought I was being a bit obvious, too!!! Never noticed this on my 505s!

I'll put a pic up later to show what I mean.

I may put an inch long bit of carbon fibre rod along the "beam line", initially with blue tack. But leave enough space to know it's consistently level.

atb

Jamie

Here's what I mean.

It's probably just my eyes. But I can't help thinking that if the horizontal line on the beam bar was the same thickness, as that on the main horizontal marker line on the scale body, along with both lines being closer together it would be easier to read accurately. At least for me anyhow...... :(

Anybody else have similar thoughts regarding this?

rcbsscales.jpg

If you're thinking about adding an extended pointer, even a very light one, you will need to recalibrate the scale by adding weight to the small box under the scale pan. You will also need to step it away from the surface of the beam by a mm or so to the pointer to clear the scale plate.

This is a 502 with an extended pointer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VMBJXfYDE

Alan,

Could It be reversed engineered? ie adding an extended pointer to the zero section, presumably this would negate the need for recallibrating?

Thanks for the imput fella's.....

Love the extended pointer in the video! Would be just the job!

If I added a very thin needle, or cf rod as the extended pointer, could I not just reset the zero by adjusting the base wheel?

Steve, could you explain what you mean in "layman's" terms?? :blush:

If you add weight to the left hand side of the beam then you need more powder on the right hand side to make it balance i.e. over load.

Add your carbon rod to the zero mark not the pointer and you don't alter the balance.

I see what you mean now. Thanks MC :)

Thanks for the imput fella's.....

Love the extended pointer in the video! Would be just the job!

If I added a very thin needle, or cf rod as the extended pointer, could I not just reset the zero by adjusting the base wheel?

Steve, could you explain what you mean in "layman's" terms?? :blush:

You won't have enough adjustment on the base wheel. Adding about 2 grains of weight to the pointer end would cause full scale deflection. It's not really difficult to reset the tare weight - you would need to do this if you ever had to have a replacement pan, they're never the same weight.

Or you could send the scale to 1066 and get him to pimp it up for you. I have a old Hornady like the one in his picture in fact that might even be the one he tricked for me a fantastic piece of kit the old Hornady scales are in my opinion one of the best beam scales you can get your hands on. I use mine with a target master trickler with the camera connected to a lap top.

Or you could send the scale to 1066 and get him to pimp it up for you. I have a old Hornady like the one in his picture in fact that might even be the one he tricked for me a fantastic piece of kit the old Hornady scales are in my opinion one of the best beam scales you can get your hands on. I use mine with a target master trickler with the camera connected to a lap top.

I did try a Webcam set-up, but couldn't find a camera that would show the scale as a "full screen" picture on my laptop. I tried 2 different Webcams but neither gave full screen picture on my laptop and neither would focus so close up on the pointer.

Any ideas why they wouldn't focus? They were £20 each so not particularly expensive?

I did try a Webcam set-up, but couldn't find a camera that would show the scale as a "full screen" picture on my laptop. I tried 2 different Webcams but neither gave full screen picture on my laptop and neither would focus so close up on the pointer.

Any ideas why they wouldn't focus? They were £20 each so not particularly expensive?

Hi Jamie - I can supply you with a 5 megpix usb webcam that will focus down to 1.5 inches for £10 including postage. These are the cameras used in my videos.

Allan

Hi Jamie - I can supply you with a 5 megpix usb webcam that will focus down to 1.5 inches for £10 including postage. These are the cameras used in my videos.

Allan

That sounds just the job Allan.

Will it fill the whole laptop screen?

Also, could you tell me what you do to "pimp" up scales and what the prices are?

Are you on youtube so I can see a video?

Apologies for all the questions......

atb

Jamie

Do you have a youtube account under "The target Master" ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received some parts I bought from Allan, and I have to say I'm Very pleased indeed! I bought a camera, mounting bracket, and associated camera mounting parts. 1st class service, and Allan answered all my "what if" questions. Very good service! :)

• 3 months later...

Does alan - 1066 offer a tuning service ? Id like my 502 ? I think sorted or serviced ! PM me and ill ring for a natter , cheers tim .

Does alan - 1066 offer a tuning service ? Id like my 502 ? I think sorted or serviced ! PM me and ill ring for a natter , cheers tim .

Hi Tim,

He does offer a full tuning service.

I presume you obviously mean a "natter" with Alan, in which case I'm sure he'd be happy to explain his skills available.

Jamie

thanks jamie , ill pm him for phone number , to get it sorted . Cheers

Archived