Long Range Heavy Benchrest Rifle

mole-e30

Hi All

A small project that my Dad has been working on, having been inspired by our friends across the pond with their "proper" heavy guns, he set about building a UK Heavy gun.

So for those of you that dont know the rules, here they are.......

1. Single shot bolt action rifle

2. Fired from front and rear sand filled bags

That is is...... no max or min weight, no max or min forend width etc.

So what did we end up with......

We utilised for 600 yards one of our existing rifles, a GBR actioned 284Win set in a Trueflite barrel block stock.

I must at this point stress that we didnt do our own barrel work etc, but we did do the spec.

For 1000 yards it is a Right Bolt, Left Port Bat M action with a 34" barrel again using the chassis of a Truefilte barrel block stock in a 300WSM.

The 600 yard gun is now ready for a test session this week, the 300WSM needs some minor adjustments to the chassis, but will look the same and the side panels will be shared between the 2.

So the spec is

Forend width 8"

But width 3"

Total weight 45lbs as the 284Win, 50lbs as the 300WSM

Yes that is correct 45-50lbs, we did say it was going to be heavy.

Will it shoot? We hope so, the 284Win did as a 20lb F class rifle, so no reason why it shouldnt in this format.

A purpose built rear rest has been made, combined with a Seb MAX for the forend and also an alignment piece to square it all up on the bench then be removed before firing as the 2 cannot be connected.

More pictures will follow, but lets just say there was some big bits of wood involved and some massive chunks of lead.

The finished rifle has been named "Black 'n' Heavy"

Pictures,one of the finished rifle and another showing the rifle at test stage before paint etc on the front and rear rests.

Finally many many thanks to Vince for his input and letting us bend his ear several times!

P.S. It might be at Diggle this Sunday

Nice one Bruce and some nice info there for my project, although i dont see any aling swivels.

Did you have any trouble opinning the lead in to the stock as im trying to head for a possible pour mould lead filled stock

Spud,

If you eat soup the lead is no problem......

Use soup cans as a mould, melt the lead, pour in then let it set......

Use tin snips to cut the can off then machine the lead cylinders in a lathe so they are a push fit then a couple of nicely hidden screws to secure.....

After that, its car body filler then paint.

It sounds easy, but ask my Dad, he spent ages doing it. There are 2 blocks in the butt and 4 in the forend.

Each block should be about 3lbs, so you can add weight quite easily, but you need to consider the overall strength when you decide where you are going to cut the holes.

I will try and get some videos of it shooting on Sunday.

Cheers

Bruce

what Bruce forgot to mention is- in order to carry the naval gun he has had to train a 400lb siverback gorilla.the gorilla is named-TREVOR and is very happy living with bruce and his family.if you go to diggle this weekend you may see TREVOR swinging from one of the flag poles -please dont feed him as he is on a strict diet.Bruce did mention that he is teaching TREVOR to reload as Bruce doesnt have the time to reload because it takes 3 days to boil the barrel out.

what Bruce forgot to mention is- in order to carry the naval gun he has had to train a 400lb siverback gorilla.the gorilla is named-TREVOR and is very happy living with bruce and his family.if you go to diggle this weekend you may see TREVOR swinging from one of the flag poles -please dont feed him as he is on a strict diet.Bruce did mention that he is teaching TREVOR to reload as Bruce doesnt have the time to reload because it takes 3 days to boil the barrel out.

Gary forgot to mention that Gary the Gorilla didn't make the grade, but we do have a secret weapn that is TONY the Tiger

Gary forgot to mention that Gary the Gorilla didn't make the grade, but we do have a secret weapn that is TONY the Tiger

Don't the rules say that the shooter has to cary the gun to the firing point?

However,they don't actually say the shooter has to be human!

Menagerie class might prove popular, 'shooting foxes' is just the start.

Gbal

Archived