.17 winchester rimfire super magnam

sako 75 .243

No it is a round Winchester developed based on a nail gun cartridge. Don't know when we will see it in the U.K, But may be an alternative to the problem with shite ammo for the HMR.

RGDS SEAN

No, it's still a Rimfire, but with more legs than the HMR. There's two loadings so far, I think a 20 and 25 grain. As said developed on a nail gun cartridge, looks to be a interesting round but again the first guns chambered are savage !!!! Why o why :(

BF697F43-42EF-49B4-ABEF-53386A689980-870

ive just seen this round in the American varminting site,......is it the .17 hornet?.....there was no description just an advert.[/quote

17 Hornady Magnum rim fire 17g@ 2550 fps

17 Winchester Super Magnum rim fire 20g@ 3000fps and 25g@ 2600

17 Fire Ball centrefire 25g @ 3850

17 Hornet centre fire 20g@ 3650

17 WSM is 'wait and see' what we get here. It has to somehow be a high(er) pressure rf.

Gbal

A semi-auto 17 hmr is so much gun to shoot

There will be a few more WSM offerings after the shot show as well so if you are serious I would hold fire for a few weeks

Is the 17 hmr semi auto really 'so much gun' compared to the 22 wrm semi auto,which we can have in the UK?

It will be interesting to see if more wsm options appear-and for/to what purpose,given the design limits-22wsm,as suggested,seems an obvious one,but we'll have to wait and see...decent rifles for them would be helpful too!

A semi-auto 17 hmr is so much gun to shoot

There will be a few more WSM offerings after the shot show as well so if you are serious I would hold fire for a few weeks

Is the 17 hmr semi auto really 'so much gun' compared to the 22 wrm semi auto,which we can have in the UK?

It will be interesting to see if more wsm options appear-and for/to what purpose,given the design limits-22wsm,as suggested,seems an obvious one,but we'll have to wait and see...decent rifles for them would be helpful too!

Gbal

I am sorry that's typo error

I meant so much fun

In the context of more explosive effect on target and distance that's all

Thanks-agreed-they are decent 200y plinkers.If we could get a UK legal rf that kept drop/drift in single figures at 200,AND ammo costing no more than say,half 22 hornet,it might sell ,in a decent semi auto rifle.....hmmmm?

Gbal

The local Trading Post got in some of this ammo recently. They couldn't get it through normal channels but had to go on Gun Broker to get it @ $55 a box of 50! They ran it across a chronograph through a Savage and the velocities were both erratic, and nowhere near advertized. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the stuff.~Andrew

• 1 month later...

That's correct unfortunately! I got in touch with someone via the sporting shooter website who then got in touch with Edgar brothers and was told the 17WSM was not being released to the European market!

See post 14-Andrew is pretty well informed on ammo-Edgars reply may be a blessing ! At least so far....it has to be high pressure,by RF standards,and that may be causing problems.

Gbal

It's been a while since the Trading Post got in that first batch of 17 Super Mag. No one is stepping up the plate and ordering rifles and they have several on the shelf as it is. A couple of problems with the 17 Super that also plague (d) the 5mm Remington Mag.

One is pressure. The 17 operates at 33K psi which means the SAAMI requirement will be a gun that withstand pressures in the mid 40K's. The 5mm runs about the same pressures with SAAMI spec at about 36K, with action strengths again in the mid 40K's. This puts it at the limits for traditional rimfire designs with multiple lugs like the CZ 452. Single lug guns like Marlins and Anschutz are out of the question. They will not hold up. Original 5mm rifles had 6 locking lugs and the new Savage follows suit with multiple rear lugs.

The next problem is the rim/case dimension. It's roughly 8mm which means an entirely new magazine VS the .22LR varients that simply required a change in length. When the 5mm Remington was reintroduced, Cooper rifles was hot to get their hands on prints and ammo up until they realized that it was not based on a 22WMR and that the Anny mags they used were unsuitable. At that point they completely dropped the idea; it was that much of a problem.

So for now you have the Savage and some problematic Winchester ammo. It is beginning to look like an old familiar story.~Andrew

Archived