muzzle brakes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any brake wont work at its maximum efficiency unless its fitted to perfectly concentric threads and THEN reamed to the correct diameter for the bullet. Its a minimum clearance that is simply not possible, or safe to sell on a brake that isn,t custom fitted.

Any brake sold without being fitted has to have a safe margin of clearance built in, otherwise you will get accidents. Most brakes work pretty well this way and are perfectly acceptable , but will never work as efficiently as a custom fitted example.

The TRG brake being a good example. Its made to clear a .338 bullet safely...its never going to be efficient on a .30 calibre.

I'm designing a brake at the moment which utilised the best idea's from several brake types and will be available as a custom fitted example , or as an off the shelf buy. The off the shelf model wont be as efficient. However they will all be bored calibre specific with a safety margin.

Wrote this a while back comparing TRG and TRG style; Dave, I seem to remember you're offering this style in your range too?

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/12325-anglo-custom-rifle-muzzle-brake/

I'm quite taken with a lot of the 2 baffle brakes that are appearing, designed for ARs in the main - wider baffle spacing and less metal = lighter.

I forget the numbers, but the first baffle does something like 2/3 of the work. (Shown pretty well in Farmer7's pic of one of Bradder's brakes below) Everything after that is on the law of diminishing returns. The increased space between the baffles will increase the work it's able to do.

Would like one of those done for a 6.5.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/21676-muzzle-brake-picture-discharging/

IMG_7520_zps401e2605.jpg

Slightly off topic but, if you plan to use a rifle fitted with a break at bisley, you MUST inform the office while making the booking, that will allow them to keep the lanes clear either side of you, so you don't hack anybody else off/get told to remove it by the powers that be.

Shooter

I'm quite taken with a lot of the 2 baffle brakes that are appearing, designed for ARs in the main - wider baffle spacing and less metal.

Lots of misinformation about brake performance and hype about at present. The Ben Cooley style JP Brake works very effectively (two port) on shortish barrelled .223s better than it does on longer (14.5" compared to 20"), the Bradley Arms NBA Brake (two port) works effectively as well but these are on .223s where much of the combustion gas is spent buy the time the bullet exits the barrel, I personally think the larger calibre rifles better suit the three port. But as Dave has said unless custom fitted and reamed to a tight tolerance you are not going to get the maximum benefit from a brake. They are unsocial but if you don't try to squeeze three shooters to a firing point it not too much of a problem.

Slightly off topic but, if you plan to use a rifle fitted with a break at bisley, you MUST inform the office while making the booking, that will allow them to keep the lanes clear either side of you, so you don't hack anybody else off/get told to remove it by the powers that be.

Shooter

Only ever a problem with gravel belly TR types or those that want to shoot three to a firing point.

This is one Baldie fitted onto my .338, it's extremely effective - and noisy! To be honest I do prefer using mods which are just as effective in recoil control, sometimes however they can be too bulky especially on the end of a long heavy barrel, then I prefer to use a brake.

b1cea40e7c974e82e18c2d3a3dcad71a.jpg

Only ever a problem with gravel belly TR types or those that want to shoot three to a firing point.

Personally I never differentiate between shooters, it's just a bit of servility , shooting next to a person with a break on is terrible, the wash and noise can be intolerable, especially if they have a short barrel as well .

Redshift

Ps I'm a casual F er , so I suppose I'm a gravel belly.

At the end of the day they are all paying customers, I don't tend to shoot in the vicinity of people that might moan and if they did they also have the choice of moving and if that asked nicely something could be amicably worked out.

Never been challenged at Bisley and if shooting a discipline a competition with a group that specifically forbid them I'd comply.

Far more annoying and disruptive is the smoke screen obscuring the targets from Black powder shooters, they are however, paying customers also.

The firing points at Bisley are wide enough for it not to be an issue, it only ever is when squeezing 3 or more to an FP where someone has no choice but to be up close.

I use sound mods when shooting over private land for obvious reasons however at the range muzzle brakes are fair game. A .338 let loose in an undercover firing point with a metal roof and concrete walls rattles the fillings! All the guys I shoot with at my club have no objection and most use brakes, it's seen as all part of the fun. If someone turns up with a particularly obnoxious brake everyone is asking for details of where they can get one usually :) I realise they're not everyone's cup of tea but a friendly chat and a bit of give and take on the firing point should surely overcome any serious issues.

Hi john, does that brake clamp strait onto your thread, all mine are cut 18 to 1m, how much are they and where is best place to get them, I assume they are ready available off the shelf and dont need proofing etc

It's a M18 screw thread timed to index vertically when screwed full home. Anglo Custom Rifles supplied but other good Custom gunsmiths also make similar. They don't need proofing but some are.

I like jagged 77s brake too, bigger and bolder

It's a good one for sure, Dave had to do a fair bit of modification I believe as it was originally a clamp on, now threaded to 18x1. Full power 300 grain loads produce more of a shove than a kick making it very pleasant to shoot. Feels like a .223 after shooting the .50 to be honest :D

Lots of misinformation about brake performance and hype about at present. The Ben Cooley style JP Brake works very effectively (two port) on shortish barrelled .223s better than it does on longer (14.5" compared to 20"), the Bradley Arms NBA Brake (two port) works effectively as well but these are on .223s where much of the combustion gas is spent buy the time the bullet exits the barrel, I personally think the larger calibre rifles better suit the three port. But as Dave has said unless custom fitted and reamed to a tight tolerance you are not going to get the maximum benefit from a brake. They are unsocial but if you don't try to squeeze three shooters to a firing point it not too much of a problem.

Fair point on barrel length - also relates to case capacity (ie volume of gas passing through the brake). Not sure I agree on the tight tolerance thing; a 100% efficient brake would be unusable -well, unusable by anyone not prepared to have cerebro-spinal fluid drip from their shattered sinuses! From memory, the maximum bearable efficiency for an unshielded muzzle brake is around 30%; so I suppose that it could be said that a very efficient design (in terms of gas flow) needs to be less tightly toleranced than a less efficient design if both are to deliver around 30% efficiency overall.

Archived