.204 or .22-250

triple2

Ive been knocked back now 3 times for a .204 tikka t3 lite as I have a .22-250 for fox dedicated NV

I have tried as have the BASC to get the PSNI to agree to it but its just a Firm NO.

They say as I have a rifle they cannot see good reason to grant a further rifle just for conveinience.

So I like the .22-250 but its just a wee bit loud as my farms are quite close together along with some residential homes in the area. But its not a show stopper.

Ive been hearing good things about the 204. Would this be as good as the .22-250 dropping foxes etc at 300 yards ish.

Cheers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In answer to your question....yes it would. The only advantage the .22-250 has over the .204 is muzzle energy and it is certain deer legal.

ADVANTAGES.

The .204 is as flat if not flatter then the 250.

The .204 has better wind bucking capabilities.

It uses quite a lot less powder when reloaded then the 250, therefore muzzle blast is less.

No fannying about fire forming any wildcat cartridges, just load a round and get on with it.

Disadvantages.

There arent as many choices off reloading components as the .22 calibres

Its not deer legal.

And that's about it!

On foxes and the likes and vermin ballisticlly they are pretty awesome.

So many .223's and the likes have have been replaced with .204's for fox and vermin or have taken up perminant cabinet storage space. If you speak to anyone who has had both ask them which one they prefer..... its nearly always the same answer.

My mate had a .223 and swore by it, he bought a .20Tac 2 years ago and the

223 never left the cabinet again until the day he sold it. Must say something.

Go for it mate you wont be disappointed.

Steve

In answer to your question....yes it would. The only advantage the .22-250 has over the .204 is muzzle energy and it is certain deer legal.

ADVANTAGES.

The .204 is as flat if not flatter then the 250.

The .204 has better wind bucking capabilities.

It uses quite a lot less powder when reloaded then the 250, therefore muzzle blast is less.

No fannying about fire forming any wildcat cartridges, just load a round and get on with it.

Disadvantages.

There arent as many choices off reloading components as the .22 calibres

Its not deer legal.

And that's about it!

On foxes and the likes and vermin ballisticlly they are pretty awesome.

So many .223's and the likes have have been replaced with .204's for fox and vermin or have taken up perminant cabinet storage space. If you speak to anyone who has had both ask them which one they prefer..... its nearly always the same answer.

My mate had a .223 and swore by it, he bought a .20Tac 2 years ago and the

223 never left the cabinet again until the day he sold it. Must say something.

Go for it mate you wont be disappointed.

Steve

Just like many others tried the 20 and went back to 223.

Horses for courses.

Just like many others tried the 20 and went back to 223.

Horses for courses.

Not many go back from what you here and read. Its a step back in terms of performance.

Have you ever owned a 22-250?

No mate I haven't. I chose the .204 instead as its just as flat shooting, slightly better in the wind, quieter and uses quite a bit less powder.

I had a 223 and the 204 whops it in terms of ballistic performance.

Steve

No mate I haven't. I chose the .204 instead as its just as flat shooting, slightly better in the wind, quieter and uses quite a bit less powder.

I had a 223 and the 204 whops it in terms of ballistic performance.

Steve

Thought not.

What do you shoot out you 204 and at what speed?

My current load is 39 grain SBK or the 40 grain Vmax at 3873 ftps. Below max load and no pressure signs.

Steve.

Thought it may be faster my 223 ackley shoots the 40gr nozlers at 3960 fps

Loaded for accuracy mate not speed. The 20 calibars have a higher BC bullet.

Hi, I've owned the .223, 22-250, and the. 204.

I have sold the first two and kept the 204.

I was really pleased with the 22 - 250, but the 204 is an utter joy to use. No recoil, as cheap as the 223 to load up and the performance of the 22 - 250 all in the same package.

I suspect that the reason there are some differences of opinion on the 204 v 22/250,is that you can choose your bullet to nudge either way,depending on what slight advantage appeals to you most.

I am not talking about unknown over the top pressure loads-same applies though,if both are overstoked.

There really is very very little in it for drop.

Wind drift is about an inch less for the 204,at 'fox' distances...say up to 300y

Energy is,up a fair bit for the 22/250,but both are ' adequate',and unlikely to differ much in transmitting it

22/250 uses a bit more powder,if 5p more a shot is critical for you

22/250 has wider choice of bullets,but both have more than enough for the purpose

Choice of rifle is about the same,maybe fewer used ones in 204

204 might moderate slightly better,recoil might be slightly less-neither very big deals

22/250 is minor deer legal-might be important for some

So if someone had one,it's not very likely they would see much difference if they changed to the other,and each will correctly think their cartridge is good.

Objectively,there isn't much in it-but subjectively,you pays your money(about the same) and takes your choice.

No doubt some will say the 223 is better than both,but they will have an uphill struggle supporting that view,esp wrt 22/250.

Nice to have three (at least) off the peg,ready to go,no fuss ,factory or reload,good options.

Gbal

Hi, I've owned the .223, 22-250, and the. 204.

I have sold the first two and kept the 204.

I was really pleased with the 22 - 250, but the 204 is an utter joy to use. No recoil, as cheap as the 223 to load up and the performance of the 22 - 250 all in the same package.

Here here, facts and evidence from someone who has owned them all.

Steve.

I suspect that the reason there are some differences of opinion on the 204 v 22/250,is that you can choose your bullet to nudge either way,depending on what slight advantage appeals to you most.

I am not talking about unknown over the top pressure loads-same applies though,if both are overstoked.

There really is very very little in it for drop.

Wind drift is about an inch less for the 204,at 'fox' distances...say up to 300y

Energy is,up a fair bit for the 22/250,but both are ' adequate',and unlikely to differ much in transmitting it

22/250 uses a bit more powder,if 5p more a shot is critical for you

22/250 has wider choice of bullets,but both have more than enough for the purpose

Choice of rifle is about the same,maybe fewer used ones in 204

204 might moderate slightly better,recoil might be slightly less-neither very big deals

22/250 is minor deer legal-might be important for some

So if someone had one,it's not very likely they would see much difference if they changed to the other,and each will correctly think their cartridge is good.

Objectively,there isn't much in it-but subjectively,you pays your money(about the same) and takes your choice.

No doubt some will say the 223 is better than both,but they will have an uphill struggle supporting that view,esp wrt 22/250.

Nice to have three (at least) off the peg,ready to go,no fuss ,factory or reload,good options.

Gbal

Very true mate.

Steve

All sounds good but no good for me, if I'm sat out for a fox and a munty pops out you can't take it by law

E95EDB87-C40F-4206-A263-CED1023C94DD.jpg

You can't do that with a 204 ;)

I couldnt do that with any caliber TBH as we have no deer on the Isle of Man ! Lol

Load up some 53 vmax or 75 amax in the 22's and the 204 wont keep up.

Ballistically or terminally!!

Do your home work mate.

With the right set up you could run the 55 grain Berger bullet through a .20. That would then make it even clearer.

Archived