My Christmas pressie...

baldie

I would say not. I just like it personally. It pairs very well with either armour black or graphite black.

I had a large delivery from the continent just last week, but had to resist some of the outrageous shades that came , such as zombie green, fire engine red and daytona yellow......but only just. :lol:

Hey Gbal, agreed, reference to you tube was to understand how effective the bolt was.

Is burnt bronze 2014's colour?

How about Ronin's stock,on the Tubb tube ? ...upset everyone!

Actually,there was a brown laminate thumbhole stock option for SGC Speedmasters....looked OK,burnt bronze might go with that ,too.

Gbal

David Tubb has set some great scores with it-inc the only max in across the course,but he didn't shoot 6 BR or 6x47 the same day....

But I think,yes it seems to be,or can be.Different courses of fire/rifles etc,but even so....will 'you' generally shoot like D Tubb,err..no!

Gbal

There have now been several max scores in the 80 shot course, the record being held by Troy Lawton with a 800-38x.

Not only is this the record, he was also the first person to do it....and look, he did it with an AR15 in .223

Lawton.jpg

Tubb may or may not have shot a max score (I don't think he has, but have no way to check)

The record in the 100 shot XTC match is held by the fabulous Sherri Gallagher with a 999-67x, another phenomenal piece of shooting....and not a bipod in sight :lol:

p876829601-3.jpg

It's not the gun or calibre folks, it's how you use it

Thanks ,Bradders...I really was just trying to answer the question about the 6XC's accuracy-and certainly not wishing to compare different shooters,or even disciplines etc.

My standards have obviously lapsed since my academic days,too-I diddn't give any dates,nor references for the source of the information...my only excuse is the focus of the question.

I did say that we cannot conclude from one performance (DT's perfect score) that another cartridge might not have done it that day,had he been shooting it (or anyone else-except they didn't).

As all records it is a one off.

But DT has tried and been successful-probably more than others-with a developing sequence of High Power (sorry,if across the course is not accurate -it's across the pond etc) viz:

11NRA National Hi Power championships at Camp Perry

30 Open National Silhouette Championship Rifle titles

6 NRA Long Range National (2011) and 2 Wimbledon Cup wins

2004 NRA 1450/1450 for the first time (with the 115 DTACs)-I don't know which rifle

6xc won four in a row NRA Power Rifle Nationals

and 3 Camp Perry 'Across the course',and 1 LR national...as of 2010,I think.

No doubt ,there are others since.....

D Tubb,of course,has great experience and success with a serioes of 6mms etc in these disciplines,and despite his commercial interest in 6XC,clearly is relevant to 'Is the 6XC accurate"

Says something about the Tubb rifle too,but our Dave will no doubt provide local data,as will our 6xc shooters on here.

Refs D Tubb.com and 'AccurateShooter" 6XC website.

The best cartridge and launch platform has yet to be devised,though there are some pretty good ones in both categories,but they tend to vary across disciplines,mission statements,uses etc....

and ,thankfully,what floats different boats.*

Gbal

* ref: Gallagher,Weiss,Tomkins,Boyer.......Oakley... :-)

After looking at the rifle, the one I shot against was the same action, it sounds really impressive accuracy, there is so many options, what is the ultimate accurate calibre then

100/200 yards 6PPC

300/500 6BR,maybe 6XC

beyond that,it starts to depend more on the wind speed and fluctuation.The 6BR eg,has shot well in very good conditions,but the hot 6.5s and currently hot 7s do better.Mag 30s might if their downsides (recoil) can be tamed.You have also to consider the constraints some competitions impose,as the really good data often comes from competitions,which are not all the same.(weight limits,time,number of shots).And so it goes....

There will be the 'exception',but the preponderance of good evidence is pretty much as above.

And minor quibbles( the 22ppc does pretty good,but gives away .019 in every group size to the 6PPC,as Bench Rest is measured,but at the extremes,that is a disadvantage.....the 30 BR makes bigger holes,and at 5/600 might just pick up a few more score rings,so if it's score being used,that's a consideration.

While we're at it,if it's score via rings say 1moa increasing in diameter,scores might be better for a cartridge that just clips the nine ring,but all around the clock on it,giving a group of almost 20 inches at 1000y; is that better than a group of 4 inches all in the 8 ring? How many shots etc etc.Have others been tried equally....what kind of rifle...etc etc

Still,6PPC,then 6BR,then 7mm...at above distances,,, is defensible...esp 6PPC

Gbal

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

It wasn't difficult John, just time consuming. It took a whole day. The anodising was the very devil to remove...its unusually hard.

I have some 20 round P-mags coming via a friend for it.

Akeld,

The bolt handle looks odd, but as with every other aspect of the rifle, is designed with a special purpose...fast fire. The bolt is double cammed meaning it can be opened from fired with one finger. The same finger can also fully open and close it on the next round. The rifle can be reloaded very easily and incredibly fast without breaking position....any position. It is a very well designed system. Have a look on youtube at David Tubb's videos of the gun , they are quite eye opening.

Just watched a video on youtube, my God that action looks so slick & smooth to operate. :-)

Archived