My Christmas pressie...

baldie

I was lucky enough to pick this beauty up from a good friend a month or so ago. They are rare in the UK and I've always wanted one.

Its a Tubb 2000 made by McMillan Bros.

IMG_2067_zpse0556e4c.jpg

Initially I set about sorting it out to the way I wanted it and it now has a new Border barrel in 6XC fitted , and as it is Christmas I though it needed a coat of paint as it was starting to look "used" .

IMG_2071_zpsc2a7b929.jpg

IMG_2069_zps09f5bdd8.jpg

It now wears Burnt Bronze and Graphite black Cerakote.

Initially I feared the action would not take paint, nor some of the stock fittings due to their tight tolerances, but it did. It was a guinea pig really for another friends Tubb that he wants painting.

Several people have helped me solve the mysteries of this rifle, thanks to Gavin, John MH and Laurie, its now sorted and I have to say, is one of the most accurate rifles I,ve ever shot. The 6XC is a stupidly accurate cartridge.

Lovely job, letched at john at previous round house shoots but the burnt bronze looks incredible on that good choice!

It wasn't difficult John, just time consuming. It took a whole day. The anodising was the very devil to remove...its unusually hard.

I have some 20 round P-mags coming via a friend for it.

Akeld,

The bolt handle looks odd, but as with every other aspect of the rifle, is designed with a special purpose...fast fire. The bolt is double cammed meaning it can be opened from fired with one finger. The same finger can also fully open and close it on the next round. The rifle can be reloaded very easily and incredibly fast without breaking position....any position. It is a very well designed system. Have a look on youtube at David Tubb's videos of the gun , they are quite eye opening.

Very difficult to show both sides at once Matt. Imagine another ramp on the opposite side. The firing pin is the double ended block at the top, it runs in both ramps simultaneously, thus halving cocking effort. This type of firing pin also has an unbelievably fast lock time...far faster than any other bolt action rifle.

IMG_0268_zps2f1fc98d.jpg

I intend to come down later in the new year John, when it warms up a bit.

A guy at Diggle had one of these in a 6mm calibre I can't recall,,,hell it shot well

This looks a very effective piece of kit Dave

Like the colour!

What a strange looking rifle. It's does however just work and looks nice, the colour really sets it off.

Off on you tube now to have a gander.

"Tube gun",generically(nothing to do with 'you tube',more the design),but you'll see Gary Eliseo's 6BR on 'you tube',and Accurate shooter,and Laurie has one too.

Functionally,and ergonomically,very good.Possibly available in black too,but that is so yesterday......:-)

Gbal

Is 6xc generally accurate than 6br or 6x47 lapua?

David Tubb has set some great scores with it-inc the only max in across the course,but he didn't shoot 6 BR or 6x47 the same day....

But I think,yes it seems to be,or can be.Different courses of fire/rifles etc,but even so....will 'you' generally shoot like D Tubb,err..no!

Gbal

"Tube gun",generically(nothing to do with 'you tube',more the design),but you'll see Gary Eliseo's 6BR on 'you tube',and Accurate shooter,and Laurie has one too.

Functionally,and ergonomically,very good.Possibly available in black too,but that is so yesterday......:-)

Gbal

Hey Gbal, agreed, reference to you tube was to understand how effective the bolt was.

Is burnt bronze 2014's colour?

Archived