Compact solution! Long range 7.62 setup

Zeissman

DTA Covert with 16 inch barrel is small enough to fit into most rucks, but the optic you mount on top of it can extend past the barrel / compensator, which is the case with the 5-40x56 March with sunshade and that is a fairly compact optic........to avoid the blast on the optic you need to fit a sound moderator, which extends the length. It is pretty much down to use a moderator and remove it for transport or look at something like a March 3-24x42 52 for an optic and use a brake. You may get away with a brake with your 20 inch tube though.

bz2_zps66bb651c.jpg

DTA Covert with 16 inch barrel is small enough to fit into most rucks, but the optic you mount on top of it can extend past the barrel / compensator, which is the case with the 5-40x56 March with sunshade and that is a fairly compact optic........to avoid the blast on the optic you need to fit a sound moderator, which extends the length. It is pretty much down to use a moderator and remove it for transport or look at something like a March 3-24x42 52 for an optic and use a brake. You may get away with a brake with your 20 inch tube though.

Think that the 20" would be the barrel of choice for us and would use a mod for the majority of shooting anyway so could use PMii even with a 16".

To the 202 and Blaser guys, I have always been really sceptical about removing both scopes and barrels from the action and getting consistent POI on reassembly. Thought long and hard about it before buying my latest personal stalking rifle but couldn't get comfortable with it. I think with long range in mind, I would never feel confident in the set-up. As Brown Dog says though, you can just take the stock off on some (or is it all?) 202's without detaching the barrel.

Zeissman

I personally have tried this to convince myself that the system works

During one of my club meetings in 2009 with 22 members present, I fired 10 shots over the course of a day each time disassemble the rifle and scope completely and still managed to group 1 inch on a bench at short Siberia.

There cannot be more variables in between, lunch, wind, light, humidity , snooze etc etc

Bottomline the system is expensive and not everybody's cup of tea but it works

If it sells for the price of a remington then nobody would talk badly about it

Also please remember it is a hunting rifle and not bench rest stuff.

It's meant for something like this 245 kilo "THING" with fangs

1cc7ae7366352fdca0ef39d03620f677_zps3170

This is after a hard days work at the range ........

c01aad5c54020449bb16515de9c812ef_zpsa712

LH, I am so pleased to read this from someone who has tried it and isn't just trying to sell it! Good work and thank you. If it is sub MOA, should be fine for virtually all hunting applications and I have always liked the idea of being able to transport a takedown rifle easily. As you say though, probably not right for very long range where really sub half MOA (from the rifle at least!) is a must.

Z.

bz2_zps66bb651c.jpg

what make is the pod that the DTA is on please thank you chris

It looks like a Manfrotto tripod, one of the early designs which were factory painted green.

In fact I have sold a small quantity in the past for SF use.

I understand that some of the carbon fibre models are now in the army system, although they may be for other uses like putting signal equipment on rather than sniping......................confirmation anyone??

It looks like a Manfrotto tripod, one of the early designs which were factory painted green.

In fact I have sold a small quantity in the past for SF use.

I understand that some of the carbon fibre models are now in the army system, although they may be for other uses like putting signal equipment on rather than sniping......................confirmation anyone??

Mick, not certain which brands, but a lot of lightweight tripods being used on a lot of the newer tgt acquisition kit (eg firestorm).

"Firestorm"??

You can tell me all about that in the butts on Sunday! :)

Will do - it and other kit will blow your mind! It blew mine (but then, I'm still pretty impressed by the prismatic - how does it do that pointy north thing?! :lol: )

Here's a taster:

JSOP used em for putting ermmm cameras on when I did course many moons ago

I'm glad my butchers doesn't have London hunters scales if that pig weighed half that in lbs yet alone KG's

There is a nice review of concealed carry bags for rifles in recoil mag that you can get online I'll just check which issue it was.

It's issue 9

Sneaky bags and tactical tailor both have 2 bags which feature and look discrete and non shooter like

Archived