NV Which one, advice please

Ronin

I have a NV question.

Im new to it, though I use thermal imagers a lot while working..

If I was to look at NV gear for a rifle say up to a 30 cal

What would be the better way to do it;

Say I already have a rifle I'm thinking of using it on - AI AX with pica tinny a plenty and a 4-16 PM11

Forward mounted to existing scope ?

Rear Mounted to existing scope?

Dedicated NV scope ?

Shots to 300 on known ground with backstop which is safe and range markers set to see in dark - so no issues with ranging target (within 50 yds anyway)

Real world experience please, re costs, quality and RELIABLE kit only wanted, something that will work in cold weather, wet weather and keep zero…...

That too much to ask?

Thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it would be an Archer add on, never used one with a S & B PM scope. I use mine with a Swaro 2.5 - 15 x 56 and its fantastic, I spot with a thermal, find the target in the scope set at 2.5 (good fov) turn mag up to 10 - 12 x and take the shot nice and clear out to and beyond 250 yds with a N1000 ap laser.

Also with the Archer, Starlight are based in Manchester so any repairs etc can be done under warranty but I've never had any trouble with mine.

I have a NV question.

Im new to it, though I use thermal imagers a lot while working..

If I was to look at NV gear for a rifle say up to a 30 cal. Thats a big cal for NV digi is safer than tubed for recoil.

What would be the better way to do it;

Say I already have a rifle I'm thinking of using it on - AI AX with pica tinny a plenty and a 4-16 PM11

Forward mounted to existing scope ? Pulsar DFA75 £1000ish or (thermal clip-on big money tho) £6000-9000

Rear Mounted to existing scope? Archer or risk a British pvs14 (£1600ish)

Dedicated NV scope ? Pulsar N750 or Drone pro £1290-1600

Shots to 300 on known ground with backstop which is safe and range markers set to see in dark - so no issues with ranging target (within 50 yds anyway)

Real world experience please, re costs, quality and RELIABLE kit only wanted, something that will work in cold weather, wet weather and keep zero…...

That too much to ask?

Thoughts?

Gen 3 add on like a pvs14

Atb steve

+1 -had a archer got rid as it was too scope fussy my 14 works on a A.G.S 4-16-56 sat on my rem.17.

also bought A PHOTON for rats now iv got to grips with it its going on my .17fb for bunnys and charley so i can use the 14 as a spotter.

im afraid ANDY you will get a lot of answers non the absolute same-its the kit make up and end use that dicates what to buy

if your using it at known distances and not walking/driving and you have a free rifle[you do] i would go dedicated.

there is [was]a raptor for sale on the nv forums.

Thanks for the advice so far.

NV 750 and Drone Pro look more what I have in mind.

Im not looking at more than 1.5k….

Rifle is heavy, moderate recoil and moderated, so no real perceived recoil

Could you advise what adjustment there is with these suits - how much MOA / Mil and in what increment

Ive looked at the drone pro, which seems only to have 2/3 MOA adjustment - that can't be right can it?

This - drone pro appears from pictures to be more robust than the NV750

Also should I assume I would need a torch type black light device -- "illuminator"?

Comments please ?

In your OP you mentioned using it in wet weather?

Whilst thermal will work with rain etc (though over exposed image), an illuminator/laser will not allow you to shoot in rain - sometimes an issue for me in constant drizzle/haze/fog we encounter.

In your OP you mentioned using it in wet weather?

Whilst thermal will work with rain etc (though over exposed image), an illuminator/laser will not allow you to shoot in rain - sometimes an issue for me in constant drizzle/haze/fog we encounter.

Thanks,

I didn't realise this.

the thermal imager I use isn't affected.

No way am I running to a thermal scope…

Camo

thanks for picture.

Looks a very effective set up.

I notice you're Lancs based, may I ask for a look through your rig if thats possible…?

Camo

thanks for picture.

Looks a very effective set up.

I notice you're Lancs based, may I ask for a look through your rig if thats possible…?

Ye no probs bud will pm you my number, will have to be after Xmas tho as going upto the Lakes.

Sean it's the Yukon doubler bud.

Thats my set-up since i moved away from the tubed stuff, 300 yards with ease as for cost

N750 £1290

Pinto adaptor £99

1.7 Doubler £82

NM800 £120 s/h, oh ye mine as the Xsearcher head but you don't need it.

DSCF1871_zpsddfb41af.jpg

Nice ;)

I wouldn't use a PVS-14 on any 30 cal, recoil is too much for the tube.

You will need to use a doubler on the N750 to get to the ranges you need which have a poor history of holding zero and can be prone to getting knocked as well, for this reason I would recomend the Drone. I have both and they will easy do the distance you require with a decent IR torch, if anything the N750 has slightly more range as it is more sensitive to light but the Drone is a much better packaged product.

I have only had my Drone a few days so very much still learning.

Anthony

what are the reticle adjustments on the Drone in (MOA or MIL) and what increments / amount of adjustment is available please?

(can't find that info on line)

https://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-weapon-sights/armasight-drone-pro-5x-10x/files/catalogue/night-vision/332/0/Drone-PRO-manual-v1c.pdf

Scroll down the above PDF until you get to table 2.2 which has all the info you are after.

The 10x Drone is basically the same scope as the 5x but with a doubler fitted.

I know from my own experience that the N750 has very limited adjustment as I have to pack the front of mine to get it to work with a 20MOA rail. The Drone works fine.

Pic of it fitted to my rifle:

IMG_1814.JPG

I know from my own experience that the N750 has very limited adjustment as I have to pack the front of mine to get it to work with a 20MOA rail. The Drone works fine.

I had the same problem with my 20MOA rail. I reversed the rail on the rifle and it fixed the adjustment range issue. I now have a 0 MOA rail that I can use if I need.

A moot point now since I went over to an Archer/ Zeiss 6-24x56 combo. Now I'm watching foxes drop at ranges that I would never have tried with a digi scope.

ATB

Archived