at what range do you like to shot foxs at

bigun

any one for a game of tennis :huh: remington65 thats 9 posts you have done so far your key board must be on fire :blink: when we going to see your man greg ring me :blink: ..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no long range shooter, but I can stalk. Judging wind is an art and probably takes a long time to master under field conditions. It's also hard to get close to an animal. The way I look at it is if you get it wrong judging your windage, you will injure the fox. I don't want to do that. If you get it wrong when stalking it will run away unharmed, to be taken cleanly another day. I'm a sportsman, not a killing machine. I don't like to see things get hurt, and luckily none of my landowners are quite as cold blooded as some mentioned on here. If a fox gets missed it will be back, and eventually it will be back for the last time ;)

Guest freddy
I'm no long range shooter, but I can stalk. Judging wind is an art and probably takes a long time to master under field conditions. It's also hard to get close to an animal. The way I look at it is if you get it wrong judging your windage, you will injure the fox. I don't want to do that. If you get it wrong when stalking it will run away unharmed, to be taken cleanly another day. I'm a sportsman, not a killing machine. I don't like to see things get hurt, and luckily none of my landowners are quite as cold blooded as some mentioned on here. If a fox gets missed it will be back, and eventually it will be back for the last time ;)

Each to his own and to your own conscience do you have to answer.

I'm not into pull the trigger and hope that I've got it all right on the night. I respect my quarry to must for that be it a fox ,a rabbit, a crow or a magpie.

Even if you only get it wrong once in ten attempts that's once to many in my opinion.

In the last 22 years I have shot in the region of 1400 foxes, going on an average of 65 a year.

In that time I have only ever lost four foxes that were shot and not picked up the next day. Two of the four were shot at a later date, one in a terrible condition, and the other minus a front leg but otherwise extremely healthy.

I probably miss about six on average a year, every time it has been my fault as a quick trip to the range normally proves.

I don't do long shots as I want them dead, not educated, I draw a line at 225/250 yards, but most are shot at around 140 yards.

I keep hearing about all these 3/4/500 yard foxes shot, I never hear about the ones missed.

I don't get a buzz shooting foxes, I'm just doing my job and controlling a pest, sport doesn't come into it.

Ian

[quote name='Elwood'

I don't get a buzz shooting foxes, I'm just doing my job and controlling a pest, sport doesn't come into it.

Ian

so if sport dont come in to it you must be a full time pest control man and being paid for it ,if not you must hate foxs for some reason .. me i dont hate foxs at all as they have never done me any harm like taken my chickins ect but they have other people i know well , i do like to hunt them and if there was some thing as big and cunning as a fox in the uk i would hunt them insted and being a pest as well it makes it all the better ..iv taken or killed by rifle close on the 1,000 mark over the 11years iv been at it ..the thing is i just like shooting :o and what better than a fox ,far harder than a deer to kill most of the time ..or is it ?

Guest tommy

Bigun??? you are full of shite. I have been following your posts now for a while. youseem to now everything and can shoot anything better than anyone. I bet your 4feet tall and shoot an air pistol.

tommy

Bigun??? you are full of shite. I have been following your posts now for a while. youseem to now everything and can shoot anything better than anyone. I bet your 4feet tall and shoot an air pistol.

tommy

'Tommy?' .

You have come on here with your 1st post as 'Tommy' and started being offensive. If this is all you can do then please stay away.

tommy you cant have read all my posts :mellow: as i told every one on here that i mist a few foxs some weeks back so im not the best of shots .loads and loads more people far better than me at shooting but i think iv done some good shots in my time :D ..air pistol and 4ft tall ..you know me then :lol: i like to help them who like to be helped in other words i will show them how its done if i know how to do it my self ..plus i like to talk about what iv done ect ..thats what theses places are for ..sharing ,talking ,and learning what we love to do ...shooting

tommy you cant have read all my posts :mellow: as i told every one on here that i mist a few foxs some weeks back so im not the best of shots .loads and loads more people far better than me at shooting but i think iv done some good shots in my time :D ..air pistol and 4ft tall ..you know me then :lol: i like to help them who like to be helped in other words i will show them how its done if i know how to do it my self ..plus i like to talk about what iv done ect ..thats what theses places are for ..sharing ,talking ,and learning what we love to do ...shooting

Looks like someone else knows you !

Paul

Guest tommy

Gary

Please accept my unreserved apology.

Bigun please accept my apology also.

I thought i knew who Bigun was but can tell by his reply that i was mistaken. It was meant as light hearted banter between two old and fat mates.

The guy i mistook you for bigun is about 6ft 6", fat and butt ugly so again i apologise for the mistake and hope it won't affect future posts between ourselves on this excellent forum.

Tommy

Gary

The guy i mistook you for bigun is about 6ft 6", fat and butt ugly

butt ugly you say ??? no it cant be me :mellow:

jam doughnut mate, They realy do know you.

On a differtent note, went out this afternoon while you were sleeping and made a mess of this long range shooting proper.

Spotted a crow at 630yrds, clocked the wind, dialed in , fired and missed by a fortnight. Spot on windage and 10 moa high.

Took a while to work out the problem, you guesed it, i was a complete turn of the elevation turret out after shooting at 1000 yards on a previous occasion.

Without a good backstop this could have been disastrous and just reinforces everything that we have always been taught.

Anyways this realy nocked my confidence and i gave up for the day.

Paul

How do you clock the wind at 630 yards on a crow ?

57 years ago when I was in the RAF I was in their team shooting the Queen Mary ?? or `run-down` comp from 600 yards on the Century range at Bisley.

I seem to remember flags at every 100 yards down the range and these were mostly at different angles with some in the horizontal and some hanging down.

This was an early salutary lesson to me regarding long range rifle shooting and the inevitable possibility of having a cock-up on some poor creature.

HWH.

I don't think any of us can say we've never fluffed a shot, I know I have. What I do like to think though is that I try to keep the risk of wounding as low as possible by only taking what may be considered by some as an "easy" shot.

remington65 dont tell me you have missed again :lol: dont worry mate i will show you how its done :lol: if you missed you missed by a mile but you have only to clip it with that 7mm rem mag and its gone for good :lol:

575003Large.jpg

See when you squeak these foxes into within 150 and dont shoot them for whatever reason, and they wind you, then you will have a job getting them back in range next time. I have seen more squeak shy foxes than lamp shy foxes, and the only anwser is to get down wind and stalk them.

No offence intended but to many sportsmen folks think you can just walk out into a field and squeak an awful racket, and that will draw foxes, maybe it willdraw the uneducated urban fox from the town suburb where you may shoot, but it will send the willey old propper country fox from the wilds running.

The mottoe is kill the bastards if you get the chance and dont play about with them as they are fast learners, p.s dont miss, shoot within our capabillities wtihout shying them.

sorry, sorry I know

Keith

Hi to all , its been quite some time since i last posted but i see nothing has really changed . Well done shooting bags , i was sorry to hear that Martyn was calling it a day. Next time your passing call in for coffee and catch up .

I wanted to coment on the question ' How do you call the wind at 630 yards ' This was said in the manor that its impossible to do , well this is what alot of us strive to achive its a form of fieldcraft .

The art is in calling the wind direction and picking a wind speed at the muzzle to shoot on , checking down range to see if there are any tell tale wind indicators such as grass , small branches & mirage that may tell a different story . When this has been done your shooting partner will call the shot by looking at your wind indicator and wind speed monitor !

As responsable shooters we have to decide when shooting at live quarry if the conditions , equipment & shooters ability are up to the task in hand as a shot at 630 yards using a bullet thats taking on 2 MOA based upon a full value 3 MPH wind speed is a totally different proposition to the same shot but in a Fishtailing wind at 12 MPH with a bullet that's BC is lower .

Anyone wanting to shoot at these distances MUST have an understanding of ballistics and effects caused by temperature , angles , altitude etc . Where this falls down is when the so called shooters who say the following stupid coments such as ;

'Give it some over the shoulder'

'i'm not very good on paper targets but put me on a Fox or Deer and i'm great'

and the classic , ' you haven't got time to do all that , the fox will have gone '

Regards

OSOK

Hi to all , its been quite some time since i last posted but i see nothing has really changed . Well done shooting bags , i was sorry to hear that Martyn was calling it a day. Next time your passing call in for coffee and catch up .

I wanted to coment on the question ' How do you call the wind at 630 yards ' This was said in the manor that its impossible to do , well this is what alot of us strive to achive its a form of fieldcraft .

The art is in calling the wind direction and picking a wind speed at the muzzle to shoot on , checking down range to see if there are any tell tale wind indicators such as grass , small branches & mirage that may tell a different story . When this has been done your shooting partner will call the shot by looking at your wind indicator and wind speed monitor !

As responsable shooters we have to decide when shooting at live quarry if the conditions , equipment & shooters ability are up to the task in hand as a shot at 630 yards using a bullet thats taking on 2 MOA based upon a full value 3 MPH wind speed is a totally different proposition to the same shot but in a Fishtailing wind at 12 MPH with a bullet that's BC is lower .

Anyone wanting to shoot at these distances MUST have an understanding of ballistics and effects caused by temperature , angles , altitude etc . Where this falls down is when the so called shooters who say the following stupid coments such as ;

'Give it some over the shoulder'

'i'm not very good on paper targets but put me on a Fox or Deer and i'm great'

and the classic , ' you haven't got time to do all that , the fox will have gone '

Regards

OSOK

Hi OSOK,

Good to see you back ! Many thanks for the offer, I will take you up on that. I am past your house most weekends.

remington65 dont tell me you have missed again :lol: dont worry mate i will show you how its done :lol: if you missed you missed by a mile but you have only to clip it with that 7mm rem mag and its gone for good :lol:

575003Large.jpg

What is the red x and the red _____ for?

all i can say about the red x ,is this, the guy whos butt ugly and thats the reason why im not showing his face :lol: shot some thing were the red x is it was 575yrds and he hit and killed with his first shot , it was a sitting down shot and i was there and seen it with my own piggy eyes ..lets put it this way he cant hit crows over 600 yrds away :lol: maybe one day ..

Archived