at what range do you like to shot foxs at

bigun

Guys I am not having ago at anyone in paticular, but for those that don't know or even those that just want to look around on this type of site for ammunition (shall we say), Can you really see what is behind the fox at 50 to 100 yds (black cow was an eg.) when you are looking through the scope you are consentraiting on the target, not what is behind it at 50yds.

I have been shooting foxes for well over 20yrs and there is know way I'd shoot or alow anyone with me to shoot a fox pass 200 after dark. I have been out with guys that can shoot and they are really good shots, far better than me and they have mistaken other live stock for a fox fortunatly one missed but the other guy didn't and these were not at long ranges even by my standards. I was the lamp man and to me it's eyes but the guy with the rifle has the abilaty to see much more that I can so you have to take there word that they know what they can see ;);)

I have been out on many occations and come across people in fields where they are not meant to be and some were with people they were not meant to be with ;):D and animals do get out from were they are meant to be. I think you would need a sereously bright light to be able to see clearly way past your target unless you have a hedge 6 foot from it. That said I do take my hat off to those that can shoot at those ranges (but I would only do it in day light if I could shoot so well)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the ground though Charly, the fox I was talking of was on a large hill where the backstop was two yards behind him ;) On flatter ground it's not a good idea to be shooting long range at night though I'd agree with that.

I can`t for the life of me think how anyone can positively identify a fox at 500 yards and be confident of a safe shot under the lamp ;) Can you honestly say that you can tell the difference between charlie and the neighbours ginger tom at that range ;)

What about the possibily for errors and the down range ballistics at 500 ?

Its alright shooting at that range in the day but unless the shot`s spot on you`ve got a wounded animal and very little possibility of a follow up shot in the dark and by the time you`ve high tailed it over there its likely to have crawled off anyway :D

I`d like to see the kit that some of you boys shoot with because our Swaro Nightforce & Lightforce lamps obviously need replacing ;)

I was lamping for a mate on friday night and he shot 2 pretty far out foxes and he could cleary identify them with his new S&B scope ( i even saw them through it after the shot - you just gotta have a look aint ya ;) ) - first fox was 378 yrds and the second was at 402 yrds, ranged with a ziess scope the day after as we marked the spots were they fell.

Three myself on thursday,

250 to 300 yards no problem

With a good set up 400yrds at night, No prolem seeing them, But as you say it depends on weather the shot is on or not???????

As we have said a lot of things come into play<<<<<<

This is getting boring now??? lets put it to bed!!!!!

Simple thing is that if you are not happy or confidant, Do not pull the trigger

Tim

come out one night mate,your welcome to see 500 yard foxes on my land which I and others have easy IDed, and have been a safe shot,using the right kit is the key

You`d better send me a couple more of those bulbs you`ve got then ;):D

I think this is avery emotive subject but personally I think there are too many variables that have a bearing on shooting at distances consistently further than 350-400 yards at night and again personally I have too much respect for the fox to risk injuring them and not being able to take a 2nd shot quickly to despatch them.

I have shot many foxes at night - most are probably no further than 125 yards. I would rather try to call them in than risk making them lamp shy or injuring them.

Also you must have some pretty tame foxes that give you time to get the lamp on them and control your breathing enough to get a steady shot off at 500 yards ;)

Again just my personal opinion . I am sure there are people out there that have shot foxes at this distance but I bet there are 10 times more who say they have :D

You`d better send me a couple more of those bulbs you`ve got then ;)

Pete,

I'd like a couple as well and also details of the optics that you are using, they must be truly awsome to shoot foxes a night at 500yards, oh and also could you please aslo give some advice on spot on range estimation and wind reading.

Thanks,

Nick

Pete,

I also use a Nightforce on my foxing rifle and Geovids for spotting / rangefinding and yes they are excellent bits of kit ....but... where I think you can get into a real problem is if you are pinging the distance of a fox ( or anything else for that matter ) at night, at greater distances it is very easy to get a reading off a clump of grass for example that can be some distance in front or behind the fox . You think you have taken a reading of the fox but what you have acrually done is lasered the grass at 450 yards when the fox is at 525 yards. You cannot be accurate with your shooting when you have not got a very accurate range finding to the intended target. I use 8x Geovids but even with 10x , the ranging reticle is not fine enough for you to be able to take an accurate reading at night even with a blitz on such small quarry. If you are shooting across a valley and the quarry is on the hillside, this is different as you can take a reading from an adjacent piece of land to your quarry.

I have no doubt that many people on here are exremely capable of hitting targets at 500 yards and well beyond during the day but the difficulty comes in when trying to put everything together at night with a lamp.

One thing to consider is the use of filters and the right lamp for long stuff. I find a 240 gives far superior distant target id than a 170. Also if not using a filter output and distance is improved. I picked up a pair of eyes with a 240 at 600 yards one night last summer in some stubble with a hedge behind him. My night vision is far from good these days but no way could I tell what they were, they could have been charlie but they could have been a Munti.

Without a filter on a 240 shots to 400 yards would be on given the right conditions maybe further, just not used mine really at that range. I considered one at 360 yards one night, watched it mousing for about 10 minutes but it was to windy (15/20 mph) .

A friend uses a very old marine searchlight connected straight to a battery, it's beam is far to tight for searching (uses a 240 for that) but once a potential target is sighted the searchlight comes into play, no filters of course. Naturally this set up is mounted in a Defender and needs a three man team. He only shoots July- September on very large cerial fields, not many of his are below 100 yards.

A

I wasn't going to mention the fact that wounding is all to easy at these sort of ranges, but as it has been brought up, how many of you are going to be totally honest and tell us how many they have missed or wounded????

Don't forget I did say be honest ;):D because you are only lying to yourself otherwise :P

wounded does that mean i have hit it :D i wonder how many times iv missed over the years thinking it was missed cleanly when in fact it was clipped :P iv seen foxs run on with a 55 grn bullet in them from a .223 for 70yrds how they ever did run is beyond me as the hole in there chest was as big as my fist .so a wounded one will run all night i say ..small tip here before i forget if you have a wounded one dont go near it as it will run on to cover if it can and if it runs into say a maze field its gone for good ,let it lick its wound ,then shoot it again at the same distance ..i had a good little terrier that would find a shot fox no matter were it run or tride to hide ,saddly he is gone to a higher place ,but a dog in the motor is a good idea for when you do have a runner ,we will all get a runner at some time in are time at shooting foxs no matter how good a shot you are ..it will happen ..foxs are always on the move and they always seem to move just when you have pulled the trigger ;)

I like to shoot everything as close as possible. All this talk of it being too easy isn't the way I see it. You get a clean kill every time, and you go home knowing that you've beaten the senses of a wild animal. That is a challenge and you have to understand your target to get there. Much better than knocking it over from miles away, how hard is that if you're a good shot and dial in?

Guest sean1967
I can`t for the life of me think how anyone can positively identify a fox at 500 yards and be confident of a safe shot under the lamp :D Can you honestly say that you can tell the difference between charlie and the neighbours ginger tom at that range :rolleyes:

What about the possibily for errors and the down range ballistics at 500 ?

Its alright shooting at that range in the day but unless the shot`s spot on you`ve got a wounded animal and very little possibility of a follow up shot in the dark and by the time you`ve high tailed it over there its likely to have crawled off anyway ;)

I`d like to see the kit that some of you boys shoot with because our Swaro Nightforce & Lightforce lamps obviously need replacing <_<

Can't argue with anything thats been said in the above.

Guest sean1967
than dont argue,go out and buy good kit and learn to shoot :rolleyes::D

Like I said if any one would you would <_<

I have the kit and I can shoot, and I agree fully with what WSM said about those who claim to be able to positively identify a fox at 500m under the lamp.

Guest sean1967

<_<:D

Or visit the the neighbours dairy farm for some bullshit ;):lol:

Where do you go for yours? :lol:

Glasses that is. :rolleyes:

Guest sean1967
Harry

fianlly you have found a sense of humour,well done,by the way an argument isnt the same as stating facts,I have ststed facts now if you really ment you wanted to call me a liar now thats another matter,as i can actually proove my statement,can you :rolleyes:<_<

untill next time keep well Oh a mean see well,proably its old age thats effecting your eye sight or is it that hugh chip on your shoulder effcting your vision

FB

Always had the sense of humour along with the shooting ability and the kit. I can't speak for Harry, Tom, Dick, Fred, Joe, Bert, Will, or anyone else for that matter. Unlike some who feel that they can.

Please show where you have stated facts. Rather than generalisations and whimsical observations based upon your perceptions of reality.

The eyesights fine thanks and I've never had a chip on my shoulder or anywhere else. Unlike some.

Keep well yourself.

Sean

As I said shoting long range can be learnt in weeks as for field craft that takes years. ;) Hell I have been out and about for 30 + years and have always had an interest in the countryside and what is going on around me but I still don't know enough, I think I might have learnt how to shoot in slightly less time.

Guest sean1967
As I said shoting long range can be learnt in weeks as for field craft that takes years. :P Hell I have been out and about for 30 + years and have always had an interest in the countryside and what is going on around me but I still don't know enough, I think I might have learnt how to shoot in slightly less time.

Charlie

Some people are just faster learners, or they just like to think they know it all. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to who fits which bill. ;)

Like the army shooting instructors say learning to shoot well, is just about sending enough lead down range. Especially when the range is <600m. Its mechanics.

Field craft on the other hand is all about time spent in the field watching, thinking, and learning the skills.

Anyone who shoots foxes at "close" range never wounds them. Thats why i and many other rifles have killed foxes that are full of lead shot. Unfortunately when shooting there is a chance of wounding and we have to take steps to follow up wherever possible.

I don't shoot foxes with shotgun but don't say its wrong.

I don't shoot foxes at this time of year but dont say thats wrong.

If you can't stand the thought of wounded animals or starved cubs take up tennis.

That is the problem with the with british shooters in general and why the govt will allways win.

If somebody is enjoying there chosen sport in whatever format they think fit and not interfering with anyone else or breaking the law then good luck to them.

Paul

Archived