at what range do you like to shot foxs at

bigun

iv shot foxs at all differant ranges as close in as 15yrds out to 278yrds at night, i find i dont like close in shots as i think its just murder ,culling and not sporting ,75 yrd shots dont do it for me neather. 120yrds is ok 150 is better 200yrds i like 250yrds im buzzing past the 250 yrds im danceing :lol: if i hit it that is .which at the moment is a no no .. :( but over the yrs i have been known to do some rather cracking shots i let you know :lol: so lets hear it what range rings your bell ..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
iv shot foxs at all differant ranges as close in as 15yrds out to 278yrds at night, i find i dont like close in shots as i think its just murder ,culling and not sporting ,75 yrd shots dont do it for me neather. 120yrds is ok 150 is better 200yrds i like 250yrds im buzzing past the 250 yrds im danceing :lol: if i hit it that is .which at the moment is a no no .. :( but over the yrs i have been known to do some rather cracking shots i let you know :lol: so lets hear it what range rings your bell ..

i like to shoot foxes at night from 100 to 500 and in the daytime 500 to 900. If your shooting foxes it should primarily be for the protection of other wildlife or domesticated stock and secondry for sport. A dead fox is dead, it only dies once and does'nt know if it was murdered, culled or hit by a sporting shot. It does'nt matter if you kill it with a 20 cal or 50 bmg it is dead and at what point in its death did the bullit fail or become under or overkill. :(

Three last night, One at 100, One at 180 and one at 200 plus,,, Very enjoyable??

I like the three hundred the best, But finding foxes at this distance is not allways possible

depending on the land that we shoot??

6mm ppc out to 350 in light winds is the dogs do da,s

Longest shot sofar was 416 yrds at night time!!

Personaly, i like yourself like the long shots but as has been said,, Any dead fox is a good one??

And with out going into to much detail, Long shots at night time do have there own problems??

I have been foxing every week for thee last 16years!! And i have put in a lot of hours in the field and on targets at verious ranges..

It is not a black art, Just practice and knowledge,,

All the best from wales, F2n

Hello my fox shooting this past 2-3yrs has went down hill bad & get hardly any to shoot now & i do it for wildlife/livestock protection.The range dont matter to me from cubs at 15m to winter foxes at 300m.I do like the longish 1's but only when im happy. I dont let rip i have to be 100% sure of the shot as i dont like seeing them missed or missing but it happens.I love the early morning spying for them at lambing fields or hill etc & hope to start doing more long range play at paper/crows/rabbits etc as i would like to be able to accuritly hit 600m or so 1 day.

40 yards and under with the 12ga :lol: So far with the .223 the farthest fox for me has been 207 yards, just not interested in long shots to be honest. But shotgun lamping, getting in close with the lamp on foot, that's the buzz.

Guest sean1967

Now your talking John.! :lol:

The answers simple as close as I can get them. The closer the better. Thats the fun sporting side as far as I'm concerned. Some folks call it field craft.

The rest of it is just mastery of the mechanics, which just comes with enough practice, preferable at paper.

Never thought much on the subject , I suppose the long shots give you a feeling of greater satisfaction as it combines all the different elements of your game , the way you shoot, the consictency of your reloads and the quality of your optics and the accuracy of your weapon. But I get a buzz for each time I pull the trigger :lol: just cant get enough :lol:

i like to shoot foxes at night from 100 to 500 and in the daytime 500 to 900. :

now your just showing off 500 to 900 yrds :lol: i remember about ten years ago i called a fox in for you ,it was that close in you had to lean out of the 4x4 window pointing your rifle downword to shot it ..must of been all of 10 ft away :lol: 500 to 900 yrds ..you have come along way since then and iv seen you do it just as well really ..dead is dead you say. so true but i feel i get more satisfaction at from a longer range like 250yrds with a rifle i would love to shoot a fox out to 500 yrds so next time we are out give me that rifle of yours and i will show you how its done as long as you go fetch the fox :( ,iv shot them with the shotgun running thats ok but standing still shots on foxs dont do it for me with the boom stick ..satisfaction is the name of he game ..

I like them up close and personel :lol: that way you know you are doing alright calling in UK's top predator in close. I just love the look on their face when you put the lamp on them and they know they've been had.

Long shots are very satisfying but I find the real challenge and enjoyment is trying to call them as close as possible.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Bigun,

To me shooting foxes is one for a reason, to protect livestock & wild bird stocks, so dead is good but deader than dead is better :lol: I feel most confident when they are around the 220 yard mark as thats where the rifle is zeroed at. I've missed more at really close range than at distance, figure that one out :( , probably being over cocky and thinking its a dead cert instead of taking my time and doing everything right, Breath & Squeeze

Nothing better than hearing the boom, then what seems like an age hearing that thwack, long range is ADDICTIVE, as nearly all will tell you on here :lol:

Remy65 your a god among men :(:P I am not worthy :P:P

Cheers Steve

I like to take Foxes at ranges i know will produce a clean kill, and well within my shooting ability. I'm not bothered if it's 10 yards or 250 yards as long as i know 100% and my shooting is on form.

We all have off days, but if i'm not 100% sure i will not shoot.

Yes it is a buzz taking them at range, to see them drop at your shot over 200 yards is satisfying(my longest fox is 238yards at night) :lol:

I shoot them as close as I can get them, sometimes its 40 yards sometimes it 300 yards. With foxes long range is not the game for me, I spent a long time calling them in close for shots with .22lr and shotgun before I ever had centrefire power and I get far more satisfaction from bringing an awkward fox in close than I would plugging one at 300 yards, they are a pretty big target so I dont think 300 yards is much of a challange at least not if youre going for a lung shot, now a headshot at long range is a different game :lol: . Dont get me wrong I absolutley love long range shooting and live for it, but much prefer small targets like rabbits and crows etc for a test of man and machine. Longest fox I have ever had was on a lovley evening last summer, sitting straight up in the long grass with only here head showing at just a hair over 310 yards I put one right between her eyes. Closest has been at 10 yards, as I got to the brow of a hill a dogfox was on the down side licking his nuts.

Guest Sprags
about 1760 will put a smile on my face for a day or two

jam doughnut that, I'd rather take em' at a mile :lol:

All joking apart, the closer the better for me, but in saying that NorthernChris aint set my rifle up yet so long range could still be on the cards, I am waiting..... :lol:

Regards,Sprags

I missed a standing off hand shot at about 40 yards a couple of years ago. nailed it second time at about 100 yards. Had to take the first shot standing as it was the only way I could see it, still cant see how I missed especially as I had already shot two that evening.

I need my foxes dead not missed, I dont take long shots at nights for fear of making them lamp shy. I shoot up to about 200 yards but the closer the better really. Most are 100-140 yards.

A

i like to shoot foxes at night from 100 to 500

Can you honestly say that at 500 yds in the dark that you can see a black cow laying in the field behind a fox, let alone that it is definatley a fox at 500 yds. You must carry a light house with you to be able to see so well in the dark :rolleyes:

Totally agree with charly hunter, in my own personal experience using a lightforce 170 and in my opinion one of the best optics inthe business, a swarovski scope I could positive id cattle at a max range of 350 yards after that i could never be sure to take the shot, I suppose a blitz 240 could extend that even further but surely not by a massive amount. Though if its working for you then fairplay to you.

I was out one night, spotted a fox well out on the side of a hill. I was using a scope mounted 170 and a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 set at 16x watching him. I could see him (when he wasn't looking at me) extremely well walking slightly uphill from left to right and could tell what direction he was looking (I don't mean when his eyes were shining at me, I mean as he was walking on). Ranged him at just a couple of yards shy of 400 yards.

Don't know what anyone will make of that or what worth it is but it's a true story.

i ask the farmer whats out in the fields before i set off and if all the gates are open on the land i know im a bit safer as there will not be any live stock in the fields , plus i do my home work first by knowing the land really well and what may be beyond that hedge ect ..if your never 100% sure dont take the shot its always there for another day ...

Like bigun says, you have to know your land and what is out on it and were??

every one should find out were livestock is before they even go foxing!!!

and if there is livestock out, be it sheep or cows or whatever, Then it is upto the person to be responsible to identify his or her target???

Under no circumstances should a shot be taken at a pair of eyes in the dark??

Also the lay of the land comes into the scenario??? Flat ground, hilly ground and so on,,,

All of this falls on the shoulders of the person that is about to pull the trigger???

Foxing is quite safe if a few rules are followed!!!

But most of all if there is one bit of doubt, DO NOT PULL THE TRIGGER,, As there will allways be another fox another night!!!

Rgrds F2n

Sound advice lads, had to let a fox go myself tonight called it in from about 300 yards to 10 yards, as soon as I spotted him I started squeaking and he just came hammering in I never took the lamp off him, only had the little .22 as I was out for rabbits cause I dont really go after foxes at this time but if one is there I will try for it. the bugger came in on the wind side with a house about 100 yards behind so I had to leave him for another night.

Can you honestly say that at 500 yds in the dark that you can see a black cow laying in the field behind a fox, let alone that it is definatley a fox at 500 yds. You must carry a light house with you to be able to see so well in the dark ;)

I can honestley say that i can tell the difference between a black cow and a fox at 500 yards at night with a lamp and scope on the ground that i shoot on. It would be very unusual to to see a cow or sheep or any livestock on the ground i shoot as it is 2000 acres of arrable. I don't profess to know everything about foxing but have been lamping for 15 years and have shot 150 to 200 foxes every year up until the last 2 years. : rolleyes:

Archived