your not going to beleive this

bigun

started out by baiting up again on some farms just before it got dark (6 oclk ) as we were going up to leek so we did some farms on the way there yes we have land far and wide ;) ..we have more farms than we can do in one week by driving round ,but we still like some more . you can never have enough land . any way i missed my first fox of the year the other night ..im well gutted :( and it was only 250 yrds out .high wind the raining you know the score :( so i was up and out very early the next morning looking for mr brown crossing the fields ..never did see him but there was a mixy rabbit at 164yrds wanted taking out ,which i did with a nice head shot ..so i know the scopes are true and it was my fault that i missed the fox which made me feel none the better . anyway we gets to the second farm its now getting dark my mates on the back chucking the meat out as we drive along ,as we gets to the end of the land i pulls up to let him in the motor ..he says its cold on the back ..i said would not no as i have the heater on :lol: as he is getting in i have a quick scan with the lamp and in front of us is a fox sitting there watching and taking it all in ..75yrds max she was .i says to my mate we are being watched by a fox :P so i had to get the rifle out of its case which was on the back seat , put the bolt in ,put a round it ,close the door ,put the lamp on were it was stitting before, all the noise we were trying not to make ,and you know what ??.....it was sitting there :o click ,bang first of the night down ..to easy i thought . goes sees the farmer and tells him we will be back later ,says you seen anything ,just the one i said and its in the back of the motor ..that was quick he said ..seen any deer ?? no i said ..bloody things are every were he says shoot the lot ..ones for mr walker i thinks ;) the 400acre farm in leek says what you after foxs,deer ,ect ..bloody deer i thinks :( had a drive round seen nothing but one hare ,so back to the other farms ,i sees one fox out about 220 yrds cross hairs it on the chest and takes the shot ,it jump and runs out of sight ..im now not very pleased at all ,if i shake my head any more it will fall off :( we dives round the farm and on to the adjoining farm, sees another fox ,there every were up here in the hills .it was a way out shot at a gess it was 270 yrds but it was standing still faceing me ..so i took aim made sure i did not miss this one ..bang ..it runs off ..im well pissed now im ready to pack up and buy a fishing rod .. :lol: i hate fishing by the way ..bore me too tears ..gets to another farm sees a rabbit, thinks its a way off but would make a cracking shot .wind is blowing at 3oclk i can hear it in my ears so its a good 20mph wind if not more takes aim ..bang ,rabbit drops then we heard the thud ..mate goes to pick it up .i range him in on the range finder 190 yrds ..now you tell me this,if this rifle can do this on a rabbit at that range with that strong wind blowing and at that range ,why the hell cant i do it on a target three times the size mind blowing some will say ..its a mystery, its a mystery ..do you rembember that song . i think im cracking under the strain ..few pics

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest varmartin

Interesting bigun.....

Got any pics of your rifle and scope set up ??

Do you aim off or use a drop chart ?

Do you dial for the wind or use Kentucky windage ?

Could be buck fever? Perhaps your a bit calmer shooting rabbits and get a bit excited pulling the trigger on charlie. If you've had a few misses you may be trying to hard and need to relax on the shot. If you can hit a bunny at 190 then you can hit a fox.

Good luck in getting it sorted

Dave

Youre using a .204 arent you, shouldnt be having any problems with 200 yards its only dropped 2 inches. What load are you running? For a 200 yards shot and 20 mph wind you would need about 9 inches of windage adjustment, so if you can gauge that for a little bunny you should be hitting a ginger spot on.

beleave it or not the rabbit was going to be a shoulder shot and i aimed bang on for it just to see how the wind would affect it i have got the Exbal here on my computer and it says i would need to give it -7.4 to hit it becouse im use 32grn bullets and if you look at the rabbit pic you can see i hit it in the middle of its back it was a side on shot ..not a bad shot for night time shooting .i use Kentucky windage for night time shooting as i dont see in the dark to good plus i aint got the time to start dialing in plus the scope i use has not got the rised turrets :lol: but its all in the pipe line :lol:

rifle005Large.jpg

rifle011LargeLarge.jpg

rifle013Large.jpg

the mod cover i got from garlands about a fiver just cut to size well cheep and why you are there get your self some bolt covers made in leather £3.99 a real bargin i tell thee :unsure: and if you had piggy eye`s and trotters you too would shoot like me :rolleyes:

308Panther i was thinking of trying to shoot dead on at 150 yrds instead of 100 but aint got round to it yet far to windy but you have made up my mind for me now funny aint it some one else says whats been going on in my mind then you go and do it,just needed the push and you are right, most of my shots are 150yrds to 250 yrds will try that, cheers

The .204 shouldnt give many problems in the wind at sensible ranges, if you compare a 95g nosler ballistic tip coming from a .243 at 2900 fps a 10 mph crosswind will give 7.4 inches drift at 300 yards, a 40g v-max coming from a .204 at 3800 fps will give 8.8 wind drift in 10 mph wind at 300 yards. I would say for the .204 on foxes 300 yards is about the limit for chest shots after that headshots or neck shots would be better if you have the time to take them. Of course for rabbits and crows the range would be nearly double that though wind will start to become a problem at 500-600 yards.

Well I use a tactical20 and it has been spot on out to 300 yards with chest shots, but I will openly admit that more power is always better at least in my eyes, fair enough the trajectory is the same but the energy is not and just to be sure more whack on target would be nice just to make sure. They would never give me a .243 for foxes over here and if they did I would probably use one, have just bought a 22-250 though for the job from the jeep. I like the little tac20 for carrying about and low recoil is great for seeing the shot, low noise means less disturbance at 4am or whatever time I happen to be out and small powder burning means 1kg of powder will do me for 580 reloads, hard to beat that especially considering the amount of rounds I put through it, it really is great for crows and rabbits and foxes out to 300 yards, I was just stating that in the wind the 20 cal is more than up to the job.

Like I say the .204 ruger I had and the 20 tactical I have now never give me any problems with nailing foxes out to 300 yards, I have never had a runner, even less than perfect shot placement has resulted in one shot kills and I am using the 32g v-max it really is amazing what those little bullets can do but like I say extra powder never hurts and even though I am well versed in the capabilites of those little 20 cal pills I had to get a 22-250 just to see what they can do, I know it wont hold anywhere near the groups of my tac20 can but I need to see what an extra 500 ft lbs can do to.

The serious foxing lads would choose either a 22.250 or the awsome varmint round the 243 ;) The smaller less efficient calibre`s like 204 are best kept to winged vermin like Dove`s and Jackdaws oh and of course Rabbits ;);)

I've been using a .204 calibre rifle for foxes for the last 3 years, having shot over 500 fox in that time and as far as I'm concerned its the most efficient fox round I have used. I have also used a 22.250 in the past and in my experience the 20 calibres are easily the equal of any 22 centrefire rifle. Also I know a couple of very serious "foxing lads" who are using 20s for all their fox work.

Nick.

vimmy stop windy the lads up ;) i love my .204 drops them foxs on the spot far better than the .223 used to do and i take foxs out further than i ever did with the .223 my mate had ..22.250 cracking round but the .204 is on par if not better in some ways than the 22.250 but saying that i would of had the 22,250 if it was not for the 204 going cheep and i loved the way it shot, its like shooting a pcp air rifle ;) ..the 243 is a good all rounder but the police in staffordshire dont like to give you one unless your doing deer as well as foxs like your self vim ..i dont do deer yet .but if and when i do it will be the 7mm that will do the range and drop anything we have in this country ..

Do you know that the most efficient foxing round i have used is the 221 Fireball and its killed more stuff than smallpox in just two seasons ;)

But when i need to get results or i need to impress the 6.5 comes out whatever the weather, gales rain that which promotes growth and vigour or shine ;)

Those boy`s you refer two as "foxing lads" i`d call pretender`s ;)

The real Foxing lads calibre 243 no messing

vim1.jpg

You are very artistic arent you vim, also nice way to do in a fox what is it a 6.5x55, sako?

Didnt intend to put across I was irratated vim, cause Im not ;) , just thought youre photo was pretty funny, laughed pretty hard at it. I aint no expert rifleman either Im just some gimp with a few guns enjoying my hobby, here to learn mostly.

now now girls ;) heres what a dove, rabbiting gun can do ..please mr police man can i have a big gun to shoot foxs with ?/....no .....ok :D

iv left little holes in foxs also with the 22lr vim but they are little holes ,but lets face it the .204 makes far bigger ones ;) .. .243 is a beast of a round we all know that far more knock down power than the .204 and we all know that as well thats all well and good if the police will give you one ,i cant have one unless im shooting deer as well as foxs ..i dont want to shoot deer just yet and i would use the .204 over a .223 any day ..one day vim i maybe as good as you :P ..nice shooting pics vim keep them comeing ..now stop takeing the piss out of my little gun :D

Do you know that the most efficient foxing round i have used is the 221 Fireball and its killed more stuff than smallpox

Hi Vim,

I too have a 221 Fireball, :lol::lol: I've gone down the 40g balistic tip route, primarily the Combined Tech's. Just curious as to what you have found shoots well in yours ?? I'm using N120 and i'm getting about just over 3500 fps, thought about trying the 36g Barnes Varmint Grenades !!!!

Cheers Steve

Archived